Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 1:54:44 PM EDT
So evidently my Aunt sent some stuff back home with my mom & dad when the came back from vacation up there this weekend.

Including, a 1977 Glenfield-marked Model 60, in pretty good condition but missing the inner magazine tube, with a touch of surface rust on the barrel. Sounds like this might be our new squirrel gun. Feels very handy, like my Henry.

And what appears to be a Winchester Mod. 1890 or 1906 slide-action .22, serial number 8575 or 8757.

The Winny is in pretty rough shape though, the action is sound, but it's missing the inner & outer magazine tubes, plus the hangers that keep them on the rifle. There is also evidently a crack in the stock, but it didn't sound bad.

I'll have to get some pictures of it.

What bothers me, though, is beyond the surface rust and stuff is that I cannot see anywhere where it is stamped if it is chambered in .22 short, long, or long rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

Illinois Sucks..
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Op just remember interstate transfer of firearms is illegal even between family members if they were not sent through an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like to see a picture of the Winchester, sounds like one that I have from your brief description.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op just remember interstate transfer of firearms is illegal even between family members if they were not sent through an FFL.
View Quote

It depends

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC Even if it wasn't gifted long guns are good to go. Only handguns/other types of firearms need to be transferred to a FFL if its going out of state.

I could be wrong though. Say I drove to Cabelas and purchased a shotgun. I could buy it out of state.
But if I wanted to purchase a handgun it would have to be sent to an IL FFL Dealer.

How does this work if buying from a non FFL/Face to face?

He is covered by that exemption posted above though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Your Winchester pump will have the chambering stamped on the barrel. It sounds like you may have to remove some surface rust to get it visible. I've found a mixture of Ed's Red or similar concoction and either bronze wool or 0000 steel wool work well in removing surface rust without hurting the finish.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It depends

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends

While a bequest is an exemption to the requirement to be transferred through an FFL...........nothing in the OP remotely indicates that this was a bequest. In fact the OP's Aunt seems to be alive.....which means a bequest is pretty difficult to imagine.

Even if the Aunt was deceased, and a will designated the OP to receive the firearms....only the OP could take possession in Illinois. Since the OP's parents picked them up they and the Aunt violated Federal law.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IIRC Even if it wasn't gifted long guns are good to go. Only handguns/other types of firearms need to be transferred to a FFL if its going out of state.
You are 100% wrong.
While Federal law allows you to acquire rifles and shotguns from a licensed dealer in another state, nonlicensee to nonlicensee transfers between residents of different states is a violation of Federal law.

I could be wrong though. Say I drove to Cabelas and purchased a shotgun. I could buy it out of state.
But if I wanted to purchase a handgun it would have to be sent to an IL FFL Dealer.
The OP's Aunt and parents aren't licensed dealers.

It should have been transferred to a dealer in the OP's  parents state of residence.
or taken to an Illinois dealer to transfer to the OP's parents.

Nonsense.....this wasn't a bequest.
View Quote

<----FFL/SOT
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<----FFL/SOT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are 100% wrong.
While Federal law allows you to acquire rifles and shotguns from a licensed dealer in another state, nonlicensee to nonlicensee transfers between residents of different states is a violation of Federal law.

The OP's Aunt and parents aren't licensed dealers.

It should have been transferred to a dealer in the OP's  parents state of residence.
or taken to an Illinois dealer to transfer to the OP's parents.

Nonsense.....this wasn't a bequest.

<----FFL/SOT

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't mean to come off as overly ignorant on the topic.

Honestly the law is more complicated than it absolutely needs to be.

So a bequest in this circumstance would only be from say; a will?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.
And the transferee must be named in the will as receiving the firearms.

Having Grandma say "your Grandad would have wanted you to have his gun collection" isn't a bequest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't mean to come off as overly ignorant on the topic.

Honestly the law is more complicated than it absolutely needs to be.

View Quote

Oh well OP.

The intent to evade any laws does not apply here unless you are a prohibited person. You would be hard pressed to find a jury that would go after someone who received a gift from a family member.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The intent to evade any laws does not apply here unless you are a prohibited person.
100% wrong. It wasn't just "intent", they actually received and transported the firearms interstate.
You need to read you some Federal law.

You would be hard pressed to find a jury that would go after someone who received a gift from a family member.
Really?
For starters a jury doesn't "go after" anyone.....the US Attorney's Office does.

View Quote

You might want to ask Bruce Abramski how that went for him:http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/06/16/supreme-court-affirms-police-officer-s-felony-conviction-for-buying-gun-for-law-abiding-uncle/
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The intent to evade any laws does not apply here unless you are a prohibited person.
100% wrong. It wasn't just "intent", they actually received and transported the firearms interstate.
You need to read you some Federal law.

You would be hard pressed to find a jury that would go after someone who received a gift from a family member.
Really?
For starters a jury doesn't "go after" anyone.....the US Attorney's Office does.

You might want to ask Bruce Abramski how that went for him:http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/06/16/supreme-court-affirms-police-officer-s-felony-conviction-for-buying-gun-for-law-abiding-uncle/

I still don't care. My post was not advise, but what I believe in. If someone receives a firearm from a family member as a gift it might be wrong, but I would be more than willing to bet it happens all the time.

You are an FFL/SOT and I think it is probably good that you set an example. For the rest of the free world, a family gift is probably not going to get you on the watch list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top