Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2016 3:50:05 PM EDT
My first 10/22 is on order and curious about everyone's experience with various ammo.

For example, does standard velocity stuff work okay? It doesn't cycle my Ruger pistol well and FFE at least once each mag.

What about the hotter CCI Stingers? Too hot or hard on the action?

I've got a mix of bulk federal, winchester and CCI stuff that is mostly high velocity so planning to mostly use those as I expect those to be the most reliable.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
get a synthetic bolt buffer and welcome to the 10-22 addiction.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I use CCI Standard Velocity, which is subsonic and it cycles just fine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
10/22's tend to function with everything so no worries there. No need to tinker with the gun to shoot a few boxes of stingers.
As a general rule ( rare exceptions do exist)
For tin can blasting with modest accuracy requirements any cheap bulk pack ammo is fine ( I do not like Remington personally but it tends to be the most available)
For somewhat better accuracy and reliability any CCI high velocity ( mini mag ar tactical ) is a good choice
If you want to get the best accuracy out of a 22 almost every time standard velocity will be more accurate and if shooting to 100 yards or more drifts less in the wind
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Since I don't have the gun yet, I'm assuming this is a pin or something that stops the reward motion of the bolt preventing over travel. Correct me if I'm wrong. How necessary is that? I don't plan to shoot many stingers (they're expensive) but will likely shoot some. Do I risk damage to the bolt with the steel buffer?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a 1000 rounds of the Super high speed ammo that is made in Mexico, it has coated bullets and I am surprised it shoots real good and is accurate, so I ordered another 2500 rounds of it and 2500 rounds of High velocity

It cycles just fine in all of my 10/22 rifles as well as my old Winchester Gallery Run that was made in the early 19 teems

I had never seen this brand before, it is called CI and as I said, it is running fine in my guns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since I don't have the gun yet, I'm assuming this is a pin or something that stops the reward motion of the bolt preventing over travel. Correct me if I'm wrong. How necessary is that? I don't plan to shoot many stingers (they're expensive) but will likely shoot some. Do I risk damage to the bolt with the steel buffer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the factory bolt buffer is a steel pin that keeps the bolt from traveling to far to the rear. The bolt hits it in a non important area. It does make a clank or ping when it does. The hotter the ammo the louder the sound. A bolt buffer is a 6 dollar part so most people just use one. If you'd rather keep 6 bucks and listen to the clank that is fine too.

Kidds bolt buffer is about the best style out there. It's a piece of viton rubber that is put in first. Then a smaller diameter rod is installed next. This keeps the buffer ridged but provides a rubber cushion.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Bolt-Buffer_p_12.html

I'd probably do a range session or two  before ordering one. The factory extractor can cause issues and a good aftermarket one usually fixes the problem. The factory ones are not as precisely cut and don't hold the case as tightly to the bolt face.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I saw a video of a guy cutting a nylon bolt to fit. Once I have the gun I'll probably explore one of these options.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks. I saw a video of a guy cutting a nylon bolt to fit. Once I have the gun I'll probably explore one of these options.
View Quote

You can also do the Kidd guide rod a spring set. It comes with 3 different recoil springs so you can tune it for what ever type of ammo your shooting.

Stingers are fine in the standard 10/22s but they are not recommended for target barrels. The case is slightly longer and can cause issues with the tighter target barrels chamber.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't  know about this.  My 10/22s choke after 50rds of American Eagle and federal brands.  Very dirty ammo.  Winchester 555 boxes fail to feed, I think the bullet type is the problem.  

Shoot your rifle with various brands of ammo to see what works and perhaps doesnt.

Quoted:
10/22's tend to function with everything so no worries there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't  know about this.  My 10/22s choke after 50rds of American Eagle and federal brands.  Very dirty ammo.  Winchester 555 boxes fail to feed, I think the bullet type is the problem.  

Shoot your rifle with various brands of ammo to see what works and perhaps doesnt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
10/22's tend to function with everything so no worries there.

My two previous 10/22's ate everything.  My current model that is a few years old occasionally stovepipes.  I think the spring needs to wear in a little more, or try the Kidd springs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just picked up a 1000 rounds of the Super high speed ammo that is made in Mexico, it has coated bullets and I am surprised it shoots real good and is accurate, so I ordered another 2500 rounds of it and 2500 rounds of High velocity

It cycles just fine in all of my 10/22 rifles as well as my old Winchester Gallery Run that was made in the early 19 teems

I had never seen this brand before, it is called CI and as I said, it is running fine in my guns.
View Quote

This sounds like Aguilla . At one point years ago it was imported as PMC . fine stuff , very reliable . Comes in many bullet styles and velocities. I am almost embarased to tell you that ten years or so back mast of the aguilla stuff was available from Aim and other sources for $12-$16 a brick!

Generally much of the "hyper" velocity ammo gets its velocity by dropping the bullet weight .
Yes CCI stuff is generally great .
For greatest reliability I like the 40gr round nose
The one hyper in full 40 gr bullet is the CCI velociter . Has better accuracy than most of the other hyper stuff in my guns . This is what I use for hunting

In most any firearm the Standard or target velocity ammo types are more accurate than the high velocity types. At 50 yards or longer the group size can be as much as half what the high velocity gives you and hyper is worse yet.

Most 10/22's will function well with standard but a brand new tight gun might be a bit fussy untill it is worn in somewhat (couple of bricks)

My Mark I,and mark II Rugers work decent with the standard velocity but at pistol distances accuracy is only slightly better than high velocity . Many other semi rimfires will not function real well with the standard velocity ammo.

Rimfire ammo has always been a game as far as what works and what is accurate . When you find something that works well for you or has a favorable price your best bet is to grab as much as you can find before something changes.

If your 10/22 doesn't function standard velocity follow directions on rimfirecentral.com to radius the bolt and function will improve
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't speak much for other brands... but the CCi Velocitors hit like a fucking hammer and are accurate too.  Just whacked another Raccoon last night. Never knew what hit him.

Gave up on the CCi subsonics after a 'coon ran off in the dark with three of them in him.

Biggest issue I've had is getting the damn 25rd Ruger mags to feed/function.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can't speak much for other brands... but the CCi Velocitors hit like a fucking hammer and are accurate too.  Just whacked another Raccoon last night. Never knew what hit him.

Gave up on the CCi subsonics after a 'coon ran off in the dark with three of them in him.

View Quote

I have had a lot of feed problems with my BX-25 magazines, no matter what ammo I use, I am starting to get a lot of ftf.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Any gun can/will be different from another of the same model and caliber.  Yours may shoot the high velocity stuff just fine.  I tried Stingers, Yellow Jackets and the Federal equivalents many years ago in my guns and none of it was accurate as standard .22 ammo.  It may be junk now but my Ruger Mk1 and Winchester M52B shot Thunderbolts better than anything else.

And no, stingers won't hurt your 10/22.  The bullet is lighter and faster than some other brands/types of .22 ammo but it's not like it's "plus P" or "plus P plus" ammo.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Savage MKII loves the CCi Velocitors, as long as they stay supersonic (Target in the pic is the size of a dime).... Once they slow down and become subsonic, they are ALL over the place..
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have had a lot of feed problems with my BX-25 magazines, no matter what ammo I use, I am starting to get a lot of ftf.
View Quote

I just fooled around with my mags today and sofar they seem good.
Havent been able to range test them yet but they cycle manually 100% now.

Took the mags apart, cleaned up the area of the feed lip where the bullet passes (as it come to the top of the mag) then ran emory paper through both sides of the feed lip area to simulate wear.
Also used a spent .22short casing as a bushing between the follower and spring coil. (tip found on rimfirecentral)

I can now load them to 25rds and every round cycles perfectly.

I also deburred the chamber entrance a bit since it was super sharp.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sure the front lug seats all the way home. On my takedown it didn't until I opened up the hole a few thousandths and it has been 100% ever since.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]
CCI standard velocity is my squirrel fodder of choice in my 10-22, it cycles just fine. Winchester subsonic has a failure to eject every once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Stingers are fine in a 10/22 IF you don't have a target barrel. Stingers use a slightly longer case and a bit more powder, target barrels use a shorter, tighter chamber so they're not recommended.

Nice thing with Stingers is, in three different rifles I've tested it in, zero at 50 yards with regular high velocity bulk. Change to Stingers and the extra velocity should put you dead on at 100. You won't get the tightest groups buy you'll still be accurate enough to kill a rabbit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stingers are fine in a 10/22 IF you don't have a target barrel. Stingers use a slightly longer case and a bit more powder, target barrels use a shorter, tighter chamber so they're not recommended.

Nice thing with Stingers is, in three different rifles I've tested it in, zero at 50 yards with regular high velocity bulk. Change to Stingers and the extra velocity should put you dead on at 100. You won't get the tightest groups buy you'll still be accurate enough to kill a rabbit.
View Quote

You would be lucky to hit within a foot of a rabbit at 100 yards with Stingers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot 4-5" groups with Stingers at 100. Plenty to hit a rabbit with. You won't hit his eye but you'll hit him.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've shot 4-5" groups with Stingers at 100. Plenty to hit a rabbit with. You won't hit his eye but you'll hit him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You won't get a clean kill. Blowing off a leg accidentally doesn't mean you will catch the rabbit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You won't get a clean kill. Blowing off a leg accidentally doesn't mean you will catch the rabbit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We regularly hunt SnowShoes around here with our 10/22 rifles and never have any problem taking them clean, most of the time with a head shot.  I don't normally take 100 yard shots with any .22 rifle, but have done it many times over the years.  Grouse, we normally try to stick to about 50 yards, but we have taken them out farther.

That said, if you can't get closer than 50 yards to a rabbit, you probably should pick something else to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We regularly hunt SnowShoes around here with our 10/22 rifles and never have any problem taking them clean, most of the time with a head shot.  I don't normally take 100 yard shots with any .22 rifle, but have done it many times over the years.  Grouse, we normally try to stick to about 50 yards, but we have taken them out farther.

That said, if you can't get closer than 50 yards to a rabbit, you probably should pick something else to hunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With Stingers? I can shoot 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 with Wolf MT. Not so with Stingers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With Stingers? I can shoot 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 with Wolf MT. Not so with Stingers.
View Quote

Never tried any other load at 100. Was just out with a friend one day, had Winchester bulk with me and a box of Stingers. Noticed the Stingers hitting high at 50 and decided to try them at 100 for the hell of it.  Sure, it's unnecessary to shoot a rabbit at 100 and I agree, if you HAVE to shoot one that far there's something wrong-I was mainly using a rabbit as an example since so many people shoot them with .22. That, and sometimes you're in a large farmyard with a rifle, see a rabbit on the other end, and just shoot from your spot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

All I can is every gun shoots different, the old 10/22 I was given back in the late 60's is still a tack driver, the new stainless that I inherited when Dad passed away a year ago, is not even close to what I can do with my old one.

So I always take the one I grew up with and don't worry.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Never tried any other load at 100. Was just out with a friend one day, had Winchester bulk with me and a box of Stingers. Noticed the Stingers hitting high at 50 and decided to try them at 100 for the hell of it.  Sure, it's unnecessary to shoot a rabbit at 100 and I agree, if you HAVE to shoot one that far there's something wrong-I was mainly using a rabbit as an example since so many people shoot them with .22. That, and sometimes you're in a large farmyard with a rifle, see a rabbit on the other end, and just shoot from your spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live on 5 acres that I own and hunt on quite a bit more property that the timber company owns, so I have shot a long ways at time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top