Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2016 9:45:31 PM EDT
I got one passed down from my Grandpa years ago (first firearm I ever owned). I have very fond memories of this gun. He always had it loaded and used it to shoot at wild dogs/coyotes going after his cattle. When they sold the farm we were cleaning the barn, the rifle fell down and went off, nearly missing my uncles leg. It was loaded and safety off.

Enough reminiscing,I always thought I knew how to clean it, but just found out the bolt actually comes out of this thing when I was doing some research on the rifle. My question is, If I contact Winchester with the Serial number, will they be able to give me a history of the gun? When and where it was bought, etc? Or will this be just a waste of time. Their website is not helpful at all. I know when they went bankrupt years ago, then reappeared they lost a lot of records, and as I remember, were somewhat disowned/dissociated from the from the actually company and couldn't get all their records. Thanks for all the help in advance, and correct me if I'm wrong on anything as well.

Edit: Also wanted to know if anyone had any more info on this rifle, and if there was a place I could get an owners manual, or if I could get one form Winchester.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
try a web search for the manual.  duck duck go came up with at least 2 sites with manuals for this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Doubt the current Winchester company can be of any help on such an old design. Search the web for exploded views which should give you info on disassembly.
Historical info may be obtainable from the Cody firearms museum who hold many of the old Winchester records
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want to check out www.rimfirecentral.com as somebody over there might have what you're looking for. I would also look at the parts schematic at www.gunpartcorp.com and you may be able to find a reproduction manual on Ebay or elsewhere.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The company that is now Winchester does not have a way to look up older guns.

You can (at least for some Winchesters), contact (and pay) the Cody Firearms Records Office.

For the Win. 74, the serial number range they have info on is...  123349-736739

The cost is $70.00 per gun for the letter - so it's up to you if it's worth it. Unless it was a custom order, it will probably have info saying it was sent to the ABC123 Hardware Store on whatever date it was sent.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, thanks for all the help! My S/N is only 4 numbers, So, I'm wondering if there is a prefix I'm missing (nothing scratched off). Definitely calling the folks from Cody tomorrow  and on Rimfire central as I type. Again, thank yall!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for all the help! My S/N is only 4 numbers, So, I'm wondering if there is a prefix I'm missing (nothing scratched off). Definitely calling the folks from Cody tomorrow  and on Rimfire central as I type. Again, thank yall!
View Quote

Winchester Firearms Manufacturing Dates by Serial Number and Year 1866 through the early 1990s
Winchester Firearms Manufacturing Dates by Serial Number and Year 1866 through the early 1990s

MODEL 74

RECORDS AT THE FACTORY INDICATE THE FOLLOWING SERIAL NUMBERS WERE ASSIGNED TO GUNS A T THE END OF THE CALENDAR YEAR.

1939 -                 1 TO 30890
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top