Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2016 5:33:37 PM EDT
I picked up one of these a week ago and got a chance to shoot it. It's topped with a Primary Arms 4-16 scope along with a Spectre II. These groups were shot with Eley Target

All groups were 5 shots at 50 yards. For the price, I'm really happy with the rifle. I feel with the right ammo and me doing my part, it'll shoot 1 MOA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for posting

Been considering one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same rifle, it likes CCI sub sonic and SK standard plus.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same rifle, it likes CCI sub sonic and SK standard plus.
View Quote

I've got a couple of boxes of the SK. I'll give it a try next time out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for posting

Been considering one.
View Quote

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Been waiting for a review. Thanks for posting.

Let us know how it likes the SK.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I really love mine now that I've changed most of it.  

New stock, new trigger and new bolt handle.  I really, really hate the OEM stocks Ruger is using now.  I've replaced 3 of the damn things.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

New stock, new trigger and new bolt handle.  I really, really hate the OEM stocks Ruger is using now.  I've replaced 3 of the damn things.
View Quote

The stock is a bit flimsy, but I wasn't expecting much for this level of rifle. What did you replace yours with? I'm happy with the trigger (although there is a small amount of creep). I don't see any issues with the bolt handle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The stock is a bit flimsy, but I wasn't expecting much for this level of rifle. What did you replace yours with? I'm happy with the trigger (although there is a small amount of creep). I don't see any issues with the bolt handle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put a Boyds on the rimfire bolt and a 300 BO bolt.  A magpul on a 10/22.  I was just appalled by the stock, I put the 300 BO on a bipod and loaded it up, almost 2" of flex in the stock.  Was impossible to site in from a bipod.  Timney triggers in both the bolt guns and I just changed out the bolt knob because I could.  Nothing wrong with them, but I like the bigger glades armory bolt handles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All groups were 5 shots at 50 yards. For the price, I'm really happy with the rifle. I feel with the right ammo and me doing my part, it'll shoot 1 MOA.
View Quote

I would venture to say you are already there! In your pictures the measurements look like they are taken from the outside edge of the two shots farthest apart. Using this method you then subtract the outside diameter of the bullet to get your group size:

.787" = .564"
.737" = .514"
.721" = .498"
.640" = .417"

I have an 8334 as well that I run a Sparrow on and see groups close to that with Gemtech 42 grain subs and a 4X fixed scope (from a lead sled). It really amazes me sometimes. I would agree that the stock isn't perfect but it isn't absolutely killing the accuracy either.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I put a Boyds on the rimfire bolt and a 300 BO bolt.  A magpul on a 10/22.  I was just appalled by the stock, I put the 300 BO on a bipod and loaded it up, almost 2" of flex in the stock.  Was impossible to site in from a bipod.  Timney triggers in both the bolt guns and I just changed out the bolt knob because I could.  Nothing wrong with them, but I like the bigger glades armory bolt handles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you put a Boyd's stock on an 8334? If so did it require any fitting?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to know this as well, my 8334 might get a Boyd's someday if it fits...
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a boyds stock, you just remove the aluminum bedding blocks from the original stock and put them in the boyds.  Your groups are very consistent to what I get out of mine, I did manage to get a .400(measured outside edge to outside edge), with CCI SV.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Barryt83, looks like I might need to order one. How do you like it and did you notice any difference in accuracy? Nice group by the way. I shot this one yesterday with some 30 year old Eley Tenex.

This fly landed on my target and I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The accuracy seemed to be the same but I found that the forearm was touching the barrel, now since I've free floated it, it has gotten a little more consistent.  If you buy one get it from DIP products and get there bottom metal with it, Boyd's is plastic and flimsy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The accuracy seemed to be the same but I found that the forearm was touching the barrel, now since I've free floated it, it has gotten a little more consistent.  If you buy one get it from DIP products and get there bottom metal with it, Boyd's is plastic and flimsy.
View Quote

How much material did you have to remove to free float it? Were you able to just use a dowel and sandpaper to remove it or was it more involved?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
This interests me.  I'm looking for a 22lr rifle to use in the 1 moa challenge, and my Savage Mk2, despite the reputation it has, just isn't cutting it anymore (it did when it was new, but it has gotten worse over time).

I'm down to deciding between the RAR 8334 and a KSA 722 Varmint.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This interests me.  I'm looking for a 22lr rifle to use in the 1 moa challenge, and my Savage Mk2, despite the reputation it has, just isn't cutting it anymore (it did when it was new, but it has gotten worse over time).

I'm down to deciding between the RAR 8334 and a KSA 722 Varmint.
View Quote

I just posted an entry in that thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top