Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2016 10:30:17 PM EDT
I have a MkII FV-SR, and I'm wanting to put it in one of the Boyds "Tacticool" style stocks. However, I'm reading some mixed reviews on which model to order and how to install, so I'm just wanting to clarify that I'm getting the correct part.

Is this the right stock to order?

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/434121y1g203_pro-varmint-savage-mkii-bull-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-wblack-textured-paint

Also, I've read that some people bought new bottom metal in addition to the stock. Is this required to fit properly? Is the stock a direct drop-in fit, or do I need to buy extra parts in order to make it fit?

This is my rifle as it sits now:

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the right stock, now called the pro-varmint instead of tacticool.

The replacement bottom metal is thicker and fits the wood stock right but I am not sure if it is a requirement but it is definitely better and stronger for tourqing bolts down.  You will also need a trigger guard for the wood stock and different length action bolts.  DIP sells all the parts needed.

It should be a drop in fit with no work needed if you have the right parts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You need the thicker bottom metal as the factory will warp and can't support the screws tensioned down.

You need the trigger guard because the Savage trigger guard is integral to the stock.

You can save a little money by getting the unfinished stock and trigger guard from Midway. Probably money better spent supporting DIP anyway. I've only ever had poor experiences with Midway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the right stock, now called the pro-varmint instead of tacticool.

The replacement bottom metal is thicker and fits the wood stock right but I am not sure if it is a requirement but it is definitely better and stronger for tourqing bolts down.  You will also need a trigger guard for the wood stock and different length action bolts.  DIP sells all the parts needed.

It should be a drop in fit with no work needed if you have the right parts.
View Quote

So do I need to buy extra parts or not? Can I just buy the stock at the link and use my existing hardware? Trying to do this as economically as possible.

If not, can you link to the exact parts I need? I'm not intimately familiar with the anatomy of these guns, so I'm still a little confused.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
bottom metal and action screws

trigger guard

You should have the E receiver so any stock or rings for a mk2 or 93 E receiver should fit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bottom metal and action screws

trigger guard

You should have the E receiver so any stock or rings for a mk2 or 93 E receiver should fit.
View Quote

Perfect--thanks for the help!

ETA: Does this include everything packaged together that I need? It might make life a little easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top