Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2016 7:03:13 PM EDT
My son is having a blast with his new birthday present, it's a Stevens Arms single shot 22 14 1/2 rifle, has the what I'm going to call a "falling block" breach loaded single shot. Hell I even like shooting it, especially with the super quiet ammo my father gave him with it.  20gr Aguila Super Colibri, has no powder just a little 20gr bullet and probably more primer compound in the rim than normal. I swear his little bb gun makes more noise. And it has more punch than my .22 pellet rifle which is louder. (makes the targets swing a lot more than my pellet rifle)

He also gave him some 60gr subsonic ones that look like they use a .22short case with the longest .22LR bullet I have ever seen, these do have powder in them, but they're still quiet with no hearing protection needed at all. I live out of the city limits, but since I just moved here I'm trying to ease into the whole shooting in my yard thing so the neighbors don't get too annoyed? Sort of like the whole frog in a pot of water...warm it up slow. I have been firing off some .45's and my pin/welded 5.56 carbine buut only on the weekends in the middle of the day, and not many rounds. Eventually i'm going to build a range in my backyard. Legally there isn't shit they can do anyway, but I don't want to go making enemy's out of my neighbors right off the bat you know.

Anyway, the 20gr is apparently discontinued, so the 25 rounds he has left is I guess all he's getting...ever. Which makes me not want him to shoot it now lol. And i'm sure the 60gr stuff isn't stabalizing out of this 100+ yr old rifle, it just so happens to be close enough that he's still hitting the swinging targets with it before it moves off target to much is my guess. SOOOOoo, is any other manufacture making anything even remotely close to the 20gr stuff?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not heard that the supers were discontinued, thought they were just hard to find.

Anguilla still makes  the non super colibris and they work just fine for short range plinking with a little less velocity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it's been forever since I have seen any, anywhere for sale, and then while looking for any source today I noticed on Brownells they're listed as discontinued. The only annoying thing about them to me is I need pliers to pull them out, the extractor pulls them out about 1/4" and then that's the limit of it's travel, but they're in there GOOD and well.

Odd thing is the 60gr and normal velocity .22lr don't do this. But I noticed a lot of grey residue on the side of the cases too, I'm guessing it's so low pressure it's getting gas's blown around the case wall making it dirty and sticky? It doesn't really like the 60gr either... evident by the "falling block" getting kicked back some. Not sure if the spring under it is weak due to old age or what, going to clean it up some and see how she does once I know she's clean. But I love shooting it with him with these quiet rounds on need for ear plugs etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've just seen them a few weeks ago at sportmans warehouse in Phoenix. So they shouldn't be discontinued, they were even in new updated packaging.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've just seen them a few weeks ago at sportmans warehouse in Phoenix. So they shouldn't be discontinued, they were even in new updated packaging.
View Quote

Huh, wonder why Brownells (may have been midway....actually) had them listed as discontinued... eh oh well I'll keep looking for them I guess then.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
CCI CB Longs are super quiet, and CCI Quiet is quiet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Target sports has them in stock now, at least the Colibri that are 20 gr and 375 fps, super Colibri are 500 fps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Huh, wonder why Brownells (may have been midway....actually) had them listed as discontinued... eh oh well I'll keep looking for them I guess then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes, discontinued means that particular vendor will no longer carry them.  They may have made decision because they have not been able to get any in such a long time.  

But as was stated, they are available at other vendors.  They are also still listed on the Aguila website which usually means something is not discontinued.  http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quiet is also a available with the segmented bullet that breaks up into three pieces. CCI used to load this bullet for a brand called Tri-Shock in what was basically a stinger loading. They offer it themselves now in a 40 grain in both quiet and Standard LR loads.

I watched a video of a dude shooting the Quiet 22LR Segmented into a ham and the damage was really impressive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Scored some .CCI 22short CB's tonight at Wal-Mart of all places.. $9.47 per box of 100... bought three, could have bought more despite the sign saying the limit was 3 box's on .22 but decided not to be that guy. My son's single shot falling block rifle will love these, and the neighbors will love that they're not loud.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Scored some .CCI 22short CB's tonight at Wal-Mart of all places.. $9.47 per box of 100... bought three, could have bought more despite the sign saying the limit was 3 box's on .22 but decided not to be that guy. My son's single shot falling block rifle will love these, and the neighbors will love that they're not loud.
View Quote

CB shorts always sounded a little louder to me than the CB longs. For some reason it sounds like a little gas is blowing back out of the breech.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quiet is also a available with the segmented bullet that breaks up into three pieces. CCI used to load this bullet for a brand called Tri-Shock in what was basically a stinger loading. They offer it themselves now in a 40 grain in both quiet and Standard LR loads.

I watched a video of a dude shooting the Quiet 22LR Segmented into a ham and the damage was really impressive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. This video?

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Found some CCI CB .22 Shorts the other night, put some though my son's J Stevens little scout 14 1/2. It actually has a longer barrel than my knock off Browning .22 auto (it's a Norinco ATD), but the ATD was actually more quiet, my ears didn't ring at all firing it. They did a little when firing the single shot with the longer barrel I was confused until my son shot it and I noticed a little puff from the falling block... that and the fact that it lines right up with your face, vs the ATD/Browning bottom ejection.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Found some CCI CB .22 Shorts the other night, put some though my son's J Stevens little scout 14 1/2. It actually has a longer barrel than my knock off Browning .22 auto (it's a Norinco ATD), but the ATD was actually more quiet, my ears didn't ring at all firing it. They did a little when firing the single shot with the longer barrel I was confused until my son shot it and I noticed a little puff from the falling block... that and the fact that it lines right up with your face, vs the ATD/Browning bottom ejection.
View Quote

That's what I was saying about gas blowing back out of the breech. CB longs have almost none in my experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top