Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2016 9:36:08 PM EDT
Bought a fvsr over two years ago, came with a bad stock from the factory (right side of barrel channel was bowed in and hit the barrel hard) savage offered to replace it for me but I declined thinking I would just upgrade later. Well it is later and I'm not sure what to get. Looking to keep the weight similar to what it is right now while adding better rigidity. I use this for hunting and pest control around the farm. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you aren't going to find what you are looking for in a weight similar to factory. If you are willing to add a pound, I would highly recommend a Boyd's wood stock. Ensure you get the Diversified Innovative Products (DIP) metal kit to go with it and do the spacer Mod on Page 56 of the Savage MKII thread. You will have an amazing shooter that feels great.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
These seem to be a fan favorite.
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/434121y1g203_pro-varmint-savage-mkii-bull-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-wblack-textured-paint
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't have a fvsr yet. It's gonna be my next gun. I hear the factory stocks are completely junk. Most people seem to use this kit.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1038843&CAT=3602
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the quick help. I'm off to Boyd's to look around. Does Boyd's sell the metal parts or do I need to look elsewhere for it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick help. I'm off to Boyd's to look around. Does Boyd's sell the metal parts or do I need to look elsewhere for it?
View Quote

They have everything, its the shit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
This topic is relevant to my interests.

I need to upgrade my stock on mine.

It's by far my favorite gun to shoot.  Suppressed, of course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I did some good research once I saw the prices of boyd's stocks and hardware. Was honestly surprised that this was the price point for what I thought was a simple aftermarket item. Its been over a year since I shopped but Boyd's is priced competively last I looked. Looking back now after over a year I'd do it all over again. Really makes the savage easier to get a good cheekweld and sight picture. The free float barrel makes accuracy easy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Boyd's for the stock and DIP for the metal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to say this.  The added weight helps me keep my shots stable.  I'm not always able to use my bipod so standing is my only other option.

I have about 20 chipmunks and 8 or 9 rabbits so far in the last month.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to say this.  The added weight helps me keep my shots stable.  I'm not always able to use my bipod so standing is my only other option.

I have about 20 chipmunks and 8 or 9 rabbits so far in the last month.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
It seems like the only good options are Boyd's and Rhineland, if you can find one. There is also Richard's Microfit but I don't want to fool with that right now. It seems like everyone has a Boyd's, and I'd like something a little different. I wish Hogue or someone else would enter the market. I want something good on a bench but also light enough for general use. That's the whole purpose of this rifle for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It seems like the only good options are Boyd's and Rhineland, if you can find one. There is also Richard's Microfit but I don't want to fool with that right now. It seems like everyone has a Boyd's, and I'd like something a little different. I wish Hogue or someone else would enter the market. I want something good on a bench but also light enough for general use. That's the whole purpose of this rifle for me.
View Quote

You can add a cheek riser to the factory stock and that may work for you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Boyd's Tacticool is the way to go.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one of the Rhineland Leopard stocks on my BTVLSS. Its heavy but I shoot mostly from a bench using a rest.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Off topic a little, but I'm trying to find a thread protector for a FVSR.  I know it's 1/2 28 but can't find where the diameter is listed and don't want to order one that doesn't look right on it.  Anybody have to order one and have suggestions?  I'm about to send the rifle to be Cerakoted and the Savage store is down until the 17th.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I went ahead and ordered a Rhineland Scorpion for mine. I think the weight will be ok since everything to the rear of the receiver is aluminum. I took mine (with the plastic stock) to the range this weekend and was shooting consistent 1/2" CTC groups @50yds, with the best group measuring 7/16". This was with  MiniMags, so I'm definitely happy with the accuracy. I can't wait to see how it'll shoot after getting the Apache trigger kit, bedding the new stock and using some match ammo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Manners for me!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top