Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2016 11:45:18 AM EDT
I want a 22 bolt action rimfire for a Dead Air Mask-HD suppressor I have in NFA jail. I'll be lucky if I get the suppressor before Christmas but in the mean time, I've spent countless hours of researching all the bolt option 22 rifle options out there and I've narrowed it down to these 2 models...the CZ-455 American "Suppressor Ready" or the Ruger American Rimfire "Predator" (model 8334) but I just can't decide between these two?

The CZ is clearly a higher quality rifle but the RAR isn't that far behind.

The CZ has a matte blued finish which I prefer over the RAR's glossy finish

The CZ has a 16.5" threaded barrel which I prefer over the RAR's 18" threaded barrel

The CZ has user replaceable barrels and the rifle can be changed to .17HRM and .22WRM. The MASK-HD is rated for both of those calibers as well and while I don't have any current plans or needs to run either of those calibers, Its nice to know it's an option should that change?

I prefer the feel/weight/balance of CZ's synthetic stock over Ruger's but I do really appreciate Ruger's ability to change LOP and comb height.

I already have a couple of CZ-452's and Ruger 10/22's so I'm already familiar with both brands and have magazines for both but I strongly prefer Ruger's BX mags and this is a very strong selling point for the RAR IMO.

The Ruger has a better factory trigger and safety location.

The Ruger is lighter and less expensive. While I won't base my decision on price, especially when we are only taking about a ~$100 difference between them, it is something to keep in mind.

The Ruger is D&T for a scope base and the RAR model I'm looking at comes with one as well as an over sized bolt handle. There are scope rail and bolt handle options for the CZ but obviously for more money. Again, not a decision point but a consideration.

Overall, I'm leaning towards the CZ because I've had great experiences with my current CZ's and overall I think they are a better made, higher quality rifle. I also prefer most of it's features over the Ruger, especially the changeable barrels and caliber options.

That said the Ruger has some features that are hard to ignore, the mags probably being the biggest but add that in with better trigger and safety, lower weight and cost and the ability to change the stock's configuration makes the RAR a very tempting alternative?

Which one would you buy and most importantly, please state why? (both is not an option I am even slightly interested in considering). Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a RAR predator myself and love it. I can't weigh in on the CZ, never even held one, but I don't see anyone regretting buying the RAR Predator.

For me the flush 10 rnd mags were a big draw, and I've used the 25's a lot more than I expected to! For the money I think you get a lot with the Predator.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a huge Ruger fan and own over 20 different Ruger rifle and pistols..........
But, there isn't a 22 rifle Ruger makes that can hold up against the CZ455.

The rifle is one heck of a shooter and quality made.
Go to youtube you will tons of videos and reviews.
500 meter shoots with bottle caps and 100 meter wooden matches, the rifle plain shoots.
I spent over a grand on my Ruger 10/22 to make it punch holes on top of each other.... the 455 will do it outta the box.
Very nice design, and the 455 Tacticool model (I have) is not all that expensive for the quality you get.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the CZ455 and a Ruger RAR threaded barrel, but it's not the predator model.

Both of them are stupidly quiet suppressed and more accurate than I am at 100 yards with subsonics.  I like the trigger on the CZ much better, I really hate the safety on the Ruger trigger and have a Timney replacement trigger coming in to fix that.  I also hate the Ruger stock and will be getting a Boyd's eventually for it.  

For me the deciding factor of which one I like to shoot more are the mags.  The flush mount 10/22 style mags on the RAR are head and shoulders better than the stick mags on the CZ.  I fracking hate that stick mag and every time I throw the CZ on my shoulder with a mag in it, that mag jabs my back like a mother.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the CZ455 and a Ruger RAR threaded barrel, but it's not the predator model.

Both of them are stupidly quiet suppressed and more accurate than I am at 100 yards with subsonics.  I like the trigger on the CZ much better, I really hate the safety on the Ruger trigger and have a Timney replacement trigger coming in to fix that.  I also hate the Ruger stock and will be getting a Boyd's eventually for it.  

For me the deciding factor of which one I like to shoot more are the mags.  The flush mount 10/22 style mags on the RAR are head and shoulders better than the stick mags on the CZ.  I fracking hate that stick mag and every time I throw the CZ on my shoulder with a mag in it, that mag jabs my back like a mother.
View Quote

I guess now that you mentioned it, I have never put the CZ455 on my back.... but, in honestly I don't run slings on 22s so, I don't think I ever will or need to.
I don't think the OP can go wrong with either choice but, one bad thing for the CZ 455 might be locating one in stock ready to go.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I get right down to it, that seems to be the sticking point for me too. There are a few other little things I like about the RAR but overall, I find the 455 to be the better rifle and the only thing that's really tempting me about the RAR is the mags.

The difference though is I'm not a hunter and don't see me slinging this rifle up and walking through the woods with it? If I was, I think I might lean more towards the Ruger but CZ's 5rd mags should work well enough for that purpose too? So while nothing is written in stone yet, I'm probably going with the CZ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think the OP can go wrong with either choice but, one bad thing for the CZ 455 might be locating one in stock ready to go.
View Quote

I agree that I would probably be more then fine with either but if I go with the CZ, finding one won't be an issue. A. I've probably got until the end of the year at best before I'll get my suppressor out of NFA jail and B. if I wanted it right now, Buds has the 455 American Suppressor Ready model in stock online for $378 and I could pick it up at their store next week.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I get right down to it, that seems to be the sticking point for me too. There are a few other little things I like about the RAR but overall, I find the 455 to be the better rifle and the only thing that's really tempting me about the RAR is the mags.

The difference though is I'm not a hunter and don't see me slinging this rifle up and walking through the woods with it? If I was, I think I might lean more towards the Ruger but CZ's 5rd mags should work well enough for that purpose too? So while nothing is written in stone yet, I'm probably going with the CZ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will love the CZ, that rifle is amazing.  It's the best put together .22 I've ever shot.  Just the fit and finish of everything is fantastic.  Putting it down beside the RAR or even a 10/22 it just stands out as looking awesome.  

The little 5 rd mags work great but they do still stick out just a smidge, but not enough to really worry about.  I put a Leupold 3-9x50 on it with the sunshade and it just looks freaking awesome.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I already have 2 CZ-452's (an American and a Scout) so I'm well aware of CZ quality. As much as I love Ruger's BX mags, after owning and shooting CZ rimfires, its really hard to take what feels like a step down with the RAR.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
What rings you all using for 30mm scopes for the cz?
Thinking the BKL 300....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top