Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 2:26:36 AM EDT
So like many folks, I haven't been really happy with the length of the standard Ruger soft bag for the 10/22 TD:

The rifle fits in the bag great...right up until you mount a scope.  Add one and you're probably screwed. Depending on the scope and mounting position, the fit will probably be somewhere between tight and not possible.  My scope is only 10 inches long and mounted fairly rearward so it fits in the bag, but it's close and takes careful positioning.  Thus, I've been looking around for other options...and came across this relatively new option from Copper Basin:   Ruger 10/22 Low Profile Takedown Backpack

There aren't many reviews, so I took a chance and ordered one.  My impressions:

• Well made - nice materials, good padding, decent zippers, fleece on one side of each main compartment

• Plenty of pockets for storage

• Much wider than I expected

• Pocket for stock/receiver is wide (accommodating pistol grips), but not very long, at all

I was really surprised that in terms of length, my 10/22 TD actually fits better in the stock Ruger bag.  The scope isn't under pressure in the stock bag when it is zipped.  It is in this pack.  

Granted, I don't have a quick release scope mount, but that's why I bought a shorter scope (Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm) - I wanted quick setup and takedown.  And that's why I bought an aftermarket bag - to address the chief complaint everyone seems to have about the stock Ruger bag - its length.  I just don't get how Copper Basin could have ignored that issue when they designed this pack.  They should have made this thing at least 2" longer or changed the layout of the stock/receiver compartment.  

After I ran into this issue, I went back to the Copper Basin website to check out their pictures.  That's when I noticed how they got around the issue - the 10/22 in their marketing pictures has a collapsible TacStar Adaptive stock.  

Yeah, that seems like cheating a bit, and I fell for it.  Heck, I don't even see how that flap would fully close even if you didn't have a scope, at least with a standard stock.

Not cutting it for me for $100 - boxed back up and returning.  Your mileage may vary.

Some pics below.

BTW, the flap was tucked in the pocket in those last two shots, not draped over the scope objective end.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn I was going to order one of those. Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
2 minutes after mounting a compact scope on my first 10/22td I was pretty happy with the whole TD package of gun/bag from Ruger but the first thing to occur to me was the length.

Love the concept and my compact scope pretty much does whatever I had intended it to do but I would sure like the ability to mount a bigger scope that a bag 2 or 3 inches longer would give me.

Proves my point that while doing lots of great things with their firearms Ruger can be counted on to mess up a couple of details on 90% of the stuff they make .

The standard 10/22 trigger , bolt release and mag release are horrible to begin with . Not like the solution is hard , other folks have been making fixes for twenty years.

Bought the gun , spent almost as much to fix trigger/bolt and mag releases , can't bring myself to spend the money for a bigger aftermarket case.

Friend of mine did the whole thing with Leopoild scope and QR ring setup which is real nice but the price is kind of ridiculous for what is more or less a plinker
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
A scope mounted on QR rings fits in one of the small pouches in the Ruger TD bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top