Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want one.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/thejackal72/IMG_1006_zps516b2bad.jpg

Awards of course are old as dirt, from when I shot Jr Smallbore.   I still drag the rifle out the the indoor range and freak people out occasionally. People pantshit when they try the trigger because unless you're used to it, it feels like you ND'ed. I believe I still have it set at the max break weight of 7 ounces.

That little booklet at the top with the hole in it?  Mechanical accuracy proof target, 10 rounds at 50 meters with the action clamped in a vice. The 10 round form a .3" diameter hole. Not a lot of deviation.
View Quote

Very cool!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been following this thread, interesting.

To the op:

What does mostly paper punching mean??? Tiny bugholes or nra targets? Shooting flies @ 50yds?

Why do you think that anschutz will do any better than your kidd 10-22???

What do you expect out of that anschutz 1" groups @100yds??

Have you contacted them and asked what chamber those rifles have in them???

Not sure how much you know about anschutz's but their sporter rifles traditionally have sporter chambers (18mm). If the receiver isn't marked "match" that a clue. You are looking at rifles in the sporter/hunter section of that website. The 2 rifles your looking at seem to to have started life as a 1416 hb and have a different stock an an upgraded trigger added. Along with a cut down bbl for 1 of them.

Mike_nds, If you're lloking for a fs take your time and find an older one. A 1958 anschutz fs.

The older anschutz fs's has a 2 piece stock hence the black line in the forend is where they meet. The older rifles will be lighter/more streamlined than the newer 1418's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been following this thread, interesting.

To the op:

What does mostly paper punching mean??? Tiny bugholes or nra targets? Shooting flies @ 50yds?

If I say yes to all of these, does it change my choices?

Why do you think that anschutz will do any better than your kidd 10-22???

I don't have a bolt gun. I want a hyper accurate bolt gun.

What do you expect out of that anschutz 1" groups @100yds??

I expect .5 MOA with the right ammo. Too much to ask?

Have you contacted them and asked what chamber those rifles have in them???

I've talked to Steve many times about my needs/wants.

Not sure how much you know about anschutz's but their sporter rifles traditionally have sporter chambers (18mm). If the receiver isn't marked "match" that a clue. You are looking at rifles in the sporter/hunter section of that website. The 2 rifles your looking at seem to to have started life as a 1416 hb and have a different stock an an upgraded trigger added. Along with a cut down bbl for 1 of them.

Are you saying that the non-Match guns aren't worth the price? A Match-chambered gun adds about $1K. Which I'm willing to save for if it means that I'll see an accuracy difference.

I'm willing to look at other options. Again, my requirements are: bolt action, threaded barrel, hyper accurate. CZ? Savage?

Mike_nds, If you're lloking for a fs take your time and find an older one. A 1958 anschutz fs.

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/fsscoped.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/fsscoped.jpg</a>

The older anschutz fs's has a 2 piece stock hence the black line in the forend is where they meet. The older rifles will be lighter/more streamlined than the newer 1418's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I've read on their website they order the bbl'd receivers already put together, headspaced, yada-yada-yada.

.5" 1/2" @ 100yds??? Good luck with a 64 action. You'll need a factory rifle with 1 heck of a aftermarket bbl installed on it or a full blown custom rifle.

You're going to find that the only ones getting consistent 1/2" 10-shot groups @100yds are the ones with the well worn keyboards.

At the end of the day, the 64 actions are anschutz's base model/line for their rifles. They use them on their cheap hunting rifles and their match rifles for beginners/youth's. If someone could be competitive with a 64 actioned anschutz. Then why are they spending 3 times as much for anschutz's 54 actioned counterparts??? Because that's what it take to be competitive.

You should call Steve and ask him what chamber is in those rifles your looking at. Why all the questions about the chamber???

Because "HUNTING" rifles use "HUNTING" bullets and "HUNTING" bullets are typically longer (oal) than their match bullet counterparts. And guess what!!! THe cheaper grades of match ammo are longer (oal) then the better grades of match ammo.

That's why you keep hearing people say get wolk or sk+ it does excellent in this rifle or that bbl. It's because the bullets are longer and fit in the semi-match chambers better. Some people shoot highpowers with the bullet 10/1000th's of the lands. Others have the bullet 10/1000th's+ in the lands. They found that 22lrs do extremely well with the bullet 30/1000th's in the lands. You can use a .223" compareator and measure the oal of the different 22lr ammo, it's a real eye opener.

A chart showing the different chambers and the different chamber lengths/sizes.

Allot of european mfg's use a 18mm chamber in their sporting rifles. Other opt for the shorter 17mm chambers (17mm ='s .670") & 18mm chambers (.708").

As you can see the match chambers start with the lilja reamer/chamber. I use that reamer allot on sporter/hunting rifle bbl's. That chamber does extremely well with the cheaper/longer low grade match ammo.

Most of the best in the business shoot 10x, actually the eps nosed 10x. They have a chamber reamer specifically for that cartridge. As you can see it's allot shorter than the 18mm/17mm chambers.

Anyway that's why soooooo many people do well with the low grade wolf or sp+ in their bbl's. That ammo's oal matches the chambers better in the semi-match chambers in some hunting/bolt actioned rifles or the bentz chambers in the semi-auto's.

Consistent ignition
Strong receiver
tight chamber
quality stock that pillar bedded

You're looking at a rifle that has the smaller weaker bolt, a lighter/weaker receiver, has a hunting chamber with a stock that needs bedded with a hole in the receiver for a mag that makes the receiver even weaker.

If you do get 1 of the rifles you were asking about, take it easy and try to get consistent 1" groups at 100yds with it 1st. When you're able to do that don't bother trying to get 1/2" groups. Just go to the nationals at camp perry. Because if you can consistently hitting 1" targets @100yds (x-ring) you'll win the nationals.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, great detailed write up. Thanks.

But the question remains, are the "sporter" rifles worth the money? Buy an alternative? Save for the match chamber?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok, great detailed write up. Thanks.

But the question remains, are the "sporter" rifles worth the money? Buy an alternative? Save for the match chamber?
View Quote

To me, no they are not worth the $$$.

It's all about the bbl:
Top of the line br bbl's like the shilen's ratchet select blanks can be had for around $400.

From there the rest really doesn't matter. You can take a stock savage ($200) and get a good aftermarket stock ($130) and a trigger kit for ($20) and put that shilen bbl in it and give that anschutz all it can handle. I've seen people getting their savage triggers down into the 6oz to 10oz range. A little bolt work (polishing & new spring) and bed the stock and look out.

Typical bbl work like taking a blank and fitting it to a receiver, cutting the chamber and threading the end of the bbl runs around $150/$200.

So for less than $1000 you could have a rifle that will have a a bbl with a chambers specific for your ammo/shooting needs along with a length that you want. A custom stock made for your length of pull & cheek weld and will easily rival that anschutz while leaving $800 laying around for glass.

Just another opinion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]
My 1969 vintage Model 64.

It was a former Brit club gun.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If you don't mind a CZ action the VPT is a heck of a deal, I know the lilja barrels are a popular addition.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Still can't make up my mind on a match bolt action 22. The hunt continues.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, that just means you need a Bleiker.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone reading. Don't google those prices...
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You probable think I was joking about a $400 bbl on a $200 rifle.

Well spedd $1800+ on that annie sporter and see if it can keep up with the rifle in post #198 (last page).

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241110

Like I already said, It's all about the bbl & chamber. The rest is window dressing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
No, I didn't think you were joking. I'm considering a CZ455 with re-barrel. But I was hoping for more of a turn-key solution.

Quoted:
You probable think I was joking about a $400 bbl on a $200 rifle.

Well spedd $1800+ on that annie sporter and see if it can keep up with the rifle in post #198 (last page).

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241110

Like I already said, It's all about the bbl & chamber. The rest is window dressing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you don't mind a CZ action the VPT is a heck of a deal, I know the lilja barrels are a popular addition.

<a href="http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/Anthony_Kirby/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9E134175-F61B-4864-A461-9871E99B68B1_zpskieuydr4.jpg.html" target="_blank">
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/Anthony_Kirby/Mobile%20Uploads/9E134175-F61B-4864-A461-9871E99B68B1_zpskieuydr4.jpg</a>

View Quote

$850ish on Buds. How's she shoot?

ETA: Who's the go-to for a Lilja re-barrel?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a 1907 action earlier this year and took an old Anschutz Running Boar wood stock and modified it to meet the rules of the game I shoot.

It is excellent for off hand shooting but I don't think that Anschutz is the best choice for benchrest. I don't shoot benchrest but I don't see an Annies on the equipment list for benchrest winners.

The new 54.30 action is threaded and costs a ton.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#16]
OP

Check out this guy on RFC (or the hide).

He seems to have accurizing the 455 down (although you won't be able to swap out barrels afterward)

link

I have a 455 (use it as a 17hmr but have a spare 22lr barrel I have never shot ). It is out right now getting a new stock inletted for it but afterward I will have DJ smooth up the action.

If I have one gripe with the CZ 455 - it would have to be the safety - Layout just suck to me.  but other than that it is a solid design

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/Anthony_Kirby/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9E134175-F61B-4864-A461-9871E99B68B1_zpskieuydr4.jpg.html" target="_blank">
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/Anthony_Kirby/Mobile%20Uploads/9E134175-F61B-4864-A461-9871E99B68B1_zpskieuydr4.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Sako Quad Range? Drop in Lilja barrels available.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Action is sweet - always have wanted one - price difference between it and and Annie?

I think bang for your buck you would be better off either with the CZ all decked out or the Annie.

Having said that one day I will own a Sako quad.  Short Bolt throw as well switch barrel capability

Too bad I didn't pick one back up in ~2006 or when they were blowing them out for ~500.00 with 4 barrels

My holy grail rimfire is a Annie 1727 (~3,500)
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#20]
$1,500 OTD with std barrel. $350 for Lilja drop in whic I assume would have a match chamber?

Plus .17HMR option? Sweet.

Quoted:

Action is sweet - always have wanted one - price difference between it and and Annie?

I think bang for your buck you would be better off either with the CZ all decked out or the Annie.

Having said that one day I will own a Sako quad.  Short Bolt throw as well switch barrel capability

Too bad I didn't pick one back up in ~2006 or when they were blowing them out for ~500.00 with 4 barrels

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I can't comment on the accuracy of my rifle as I haven't taken the time to shoot a variety of ammo through it.  I've been meaning to sit down and do a thorough test as I usually just go to the range and plink steel at 100.  I plan on getting it bedded at some point so I'd like a baseline before I have it worked on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Cooper 57-M?

And I'm considering a Anschutz 54 Match Action.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Anschutz 1710 AV, threaded 18" medium barrel, GRS Hybrid Stock, epoxy bedded. $2700ish.

Is this the one?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anschutz 1710 AV, threaded 18" medium barrel, GRS Hybrid Stock, epoxy bedded. $2700ish.

Is this the one?
View Quote

My 455 is getting inletted for a stock similar to the GRS stock. That stock is amazing.

The set up you are talking about should be amazing. Your GRS stock runs around 600.00 so the extra work and rifle is going to cost you 2100.00

Having said that I bet it shoots and handles like a dream. Ozzy reviews has a pretty good video on the 1710 action.  Looks like a winner

When you get into the + 2,000.00 area there are so many cool options

Stiller
Modified 40x repeater
Winchester 52
Annie's

If you are considering that coin I would recommend looking at all of those
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Alright, time to make a decision:

CZ455 American Suppressor Ready, Lilja Rebarrel, KRG X-Ray 180 stock.

For $1,400 I get a match chamber in a bedded adjustable stock. Seems like a win.

I can probably sell the CZ barrel on the EE for $100ish and maybe the stock.

(99% sure anyway.)

ETA:The Annie is awesome, it just pushes my budget too far. Plus I want excellent glass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#27]
This has to be the best thread I've read on this site in a long time - useful, accurate, devoid of 9mm/.45 hyperbole. Keep it up!
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
CZ455 ordered.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]
nice! Can't wait to see how it shoots!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top