Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2016 8:40:19 PM EDT
My 10/22 is going to be a hunting, and somewhat target gun. Mostly for hunting, and woods work. Occasionally I'll punch paper with it but I have no desire to make this rifle a dedicated small group bench gun. Which barrel design would you prefer?  It'll either be a Kidd lightweight or Gemtech. Suppressed barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do not already have a 22LR suppressor, I would go with the Kidd and then either a Mask HD or Spectre II.

If you do already have a rimfire can, I might get the Mist.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you do not already have a 22LR suppressor, I would go with the Kidd and then either a Mask HD or Spectre II.

View Quote

The mist looks so cool
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Or both.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my 0.02 from my experiences

Versatility =  Stand alone suppressor (I use mine on my 10-22, 22lr pistol, even 22lr uppers when I have had them)

Coolness factor = Integral.

If I were to do it over again I would probably go with the integral. My reasons being -

1. I usually get my favorite firearm and use it almost exclusively

2. Where I hunt with my 22lr we get in and out of the truck often and having the  extra length of the suppressor on top of the barrel is kind of cumbersome.  (Having said that a SBR ar15 with a 22lr 4.5" barrel and stand alone suppressor would be even shorter)

3. Standard Fudd look - Many farms where I hunt like the look of Fudd guns and keeping everything looking normal makes it easier.

Having said that you will probably end up with both
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought the YHM suppressed barrel, so I guess that is my advice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 10/22 is going to be a hunting, and somewhat target gun. Mostly for hunting, and woods work. Occasionally I'll punch paper with it but I have no desire to make this rifle a dedicated small group bench gun. Which barrel design would you prefer?  It'll either be a Kidd lightweight or Gemtech. Suppressed barrel.
View Quote

You answered your question. I go suppressor over bbl everytime. Main reason Versatility.   I have XXX suppressors, that work across 98% of the guns owned. The other 2%, either no longer produced guns /collectors. Or something i have not put a threaded bbl on yet.

Buy a can, then suppressed bbl.. True arfCom fashion. GET BOTH.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The mist looks so cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The mist looks so cool

It does and is quieter, but a screw-on can will be much more versatile and the KIDD will be more accurate. The Lightweight is guaranteed to shoot 1/2" @ 50 yards, which should at least be a consideration for a hunting rifle.

Hmm,... wonder if you could talk them in to chopping one down to about 12"?  That'd be very handy, light, accurate, and cool. They offer a 10" Charger barrel but it's all stainless, heavier and unfluted. I have a 12" Tactical Solutions and love it, although a similar KIDD would certainly out-shoot it.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It does and is quieter, but a screw-on can will be much more versatile and the KIDD will be more accurate. The Lightweight is guaranteed to shoot 1/2" @ 50 yards, which should at least be a consideration for a hunting rifle.

Hmm,... wonder if you could talk them in to chopping one down to about 12"?  That'd be very handy, light, accurate, and cool. They offer a 10" Charger barrel but it's all stainless, heavier and unfluted. I have a 12" Tactical Solutions and love it, although a similar KIDD would certainly out-shoot it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The mist looks so cool

I know Volquartsen will cut to custom lengths. I have one of their plain bull barrels with a sparrow and that gun is crazy accurate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you like it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
i'd say go with threaded barrel and stand alone can just in case later on down the road you opt to get a pistol, or a dedicated bench gun that you would like to suppress.

if the OAL bugs you too much, you could always SBR and come up with roughly the same OAL
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
I just finished a build with a Kidd LW barrel and AAC Element II

I couldn't be more happy, it turned out much better than I expected.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
As to the versatility of a threaded barrel and can vs. integral. I took my rifle on a ground squirrel shoot this weekend and fired 450rds unsurpressed, with ranged kills out to 165yrds. I wouldn't take an integral on a hunt like that, shooting super sonic ammo with no need for suppression.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How do you like it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you like it?

I will let you know in 4-9 months.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it hard to have a barrel threaded or would I need to get an aftermarket barrel to put on the gun? I have a gemtec .22 can in jail and I was going to primarily use it on a pistol, but having it able to go on the end of my 10/22 would be cool too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it hard to have a barrel threaded or would I need to get an aftermarket barrel to put on the gun? I have a gemtec .22 can in jail and I was going to primarily use it on a pistol, but having it able to go on the end of my 10/22 would be cool too.
View Quote

ADCO can thread anything
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a T22 from Huntertown Arms, a Spectre II, and a Mist TD (in jail).

I'm going against the grain and saying integral. The Spectre lives in a Savage bolt, and (obviously) my other two live on their 10/22 hosts.

When I shoot pistols, I normally shoot 9mm or .45, not .22 LR.  Further more, in my experience, I tend to favor one host for each supressor.

Almost 100% of my .45ACP is shot through one of my 1911s. My g21 is threaded, it just doesn't get used.

My XDM is threaded, but I always seem to use my G17.

My buddy has a threaded 10/22, but we hardly supress that because of my T22, (and soon enough, my Mist TD)

It definitely adds versatility, but I've found I never use that versatility. I tend to favor a setup, and continue to use it. That's why integral .22 cans are my personal favorite.

I still love me some Spectre, and I'm dying to try a Mask, but man integrals are cool and fun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Most people will tell you to skip the integrally suppressed barrel if you don't already have a .22LR suppressor and that is not bad advice but for a 10/22, an integral suppressor is the way to go IMO. Shorter, lighter and quieter then any threaded barrel/screw on can combo out there.

In an ideal world I would already have a Gemtech Mist in NFA jail but I couldn't find a dealer with one in stock in my state so I went with the Dead Air Mask instead. Ideally I would like to have both, the Mist for the 10/22 and Mask for my other .22 hosts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up mine yesterday

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Threaded for me. An integral isn't as versatile and you can't throw the baffles in a tumbler.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the integral, Inovative Arms monocore can be removed from the barrel and then tumbled.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't bother with the Mist unless you already have a stand alone .22 suppressor. My mist is very accurate and extremely quiet, but it doesn't slow down bulk pack enough to stay subsonic so i'm stuck with using cci standard and with the port installed it gets dirty quick. After 100 rounds, it is almost impossible to remove. I currently have a Mask 22 in jail. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#22]
EDIT: Double tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top