Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2016 4:16:17 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience shooting a Ruger 10//22 for x number of rounds before running in to ftf or fte issues? I was thinking its a good shtf gun if it could go for awhile without having to clean; shooting various ammo through it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
"without having to clean"?
LOL; 'No'

Every 10-22 I have had needed at lease to have the bolt face scrubbed and oiled every 250-300 rounds to prevent fte, and even then sometimes more indepth cleaning.

That being said:  they ate everything that I fed it, and in a pinch, I have used a drop or two of engine oil off the dipstick to lube the thing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have thoroughly cleaned my 10/22 twice in 24 years.  80% of the bazillion rounds I've put through it have been CCI stingers or mini mags.  Very few FTF or FTE, and most issues were attributed to a el cheapo butler creek 20 round mag during the ban era.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was reading this http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=159381 and was checking out the weight of various rounds, which is why I was wondering about the 10/22. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't cleaned mine yet and I'm north of 1k rounds.  All suppressed.  It's been way more reliable then my Savage FV-SR bolt gun.  It usually has problems with extraction around 300rds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I ever cleaned my 10/22 from my childhood and it has well over 15K rounds thru it.

As a kid I wanted to shoot not clean

I know that I have never field stripped it as I still don't know how to do that and would have to Google it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They run and run, get one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Mags(butler creek 25rd) cause far more issues than a dirty 10/22 in my experience. I run mine suppressed and clean them after 500rds, usually only after the bolt starts getting gritty.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone, it looks like the way to run the 10/22 would be with Ruger magazines?  I see they come in 15 and 25 round mags.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, it looks like the way to run the 10/22 would be with Ruger magazines?  I see they come in 15 and 25 round mags.
View Quote

For me it cuts down on feeding issues using the ruger rotary mags. Haven't tried any of the bx mags yet, only have butler creek steel lips for higher cap mags and get a lot more feeding issues out of them.

I'd recommend swapping out some parts to decrease fte issues. (I use Kidd parts) extractor, charging handle kit with 3 springs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I occasionally had a problem with mine. Putting a Volquartsen extractor fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For me it cuts down on feeding issues using the ruger rotary mags. Haven't tried any of the bx mags yet, only have butler creek steel lips for higher cap mags and get a lot more feeding issues out of them.

I'd recommend swapping out some parts to decrease fte issues. (I use Kidd parts) extractor, charging handle kit with 3 springs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you swap from the Butler Creek mags to BX-25 mags I bet you will resolve your issues.  I have never had an issue with my BX-25 mags so I bought 30 of them just to have around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you swap from the Butler Creek mags to BX-25 mags I bet you will resolve your issues.  I have never had an issue with my BX-25 mags so I bought 30 of them just to have around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will eventually, I just keep putting it off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I occasionally had a problem with mine. Putting a Volquartsen extractor fixed the problem.
View Quote

Yeah I finally changed mine also. Bought it in 1998 and have shot it like crazy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been shooting my first 10/22 for 43 years and have never cleaned it, it is great for plinking squirrels in the front yard and I have shot every single type of target you can think of, I did just put a new poly stock on it last year, but other than that, not a damn thing have I done to it.  I inherited my Fathers Stainless model when he passed away last year and it just runs and runs, the 10/22 platforms is one of the best ever designed.

If I had to make a guess, I would say I have way north of 50K rounds through it.

Throw the Butler creeks in the trash and pick up some BX-25 mags and you are GTG!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Every 250 rounds or so for mine, or it starts failing to extract. I haven't found a brand of ammo that makes it any better, just worse than that.

Same goes for all my .22's really. All of them need it after about 200-250 rounds. At the least a spray of remoil to soften the gunk. Maybe not the pump actions but I never run that many through them at once.

If you plan to use a .22 rimfire for any SHTF situation that you think you'll need to fire more than 250 rounds... well you won't need to worry about the gun getting dirty because you'll end up dead before it does.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine goes about 80 rounds before it starts choking at least 1 round per mag.  My old school Savage 6D can go multiple bricks without a cleaning and has zero recoil.  Much better gun.  10/22 is mostly useful for burning up shit ammo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I am up to 250rds now all suppressed with my TD and just had a couple of FTF's with the Aguila subsonic that I just got yesterday.

I have no complaints as suppressed fire with 22LR is filthy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm up to like a gazillion (I know it's pretty precise) rounds. And it rained on it once. Does that count as cleaning it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mine goes about 80 rounds before it starts choking at least 1 round per mag.  My old school Savage 6D can go multiple bricks without a cleaning and has zero recoil.  Much better gun.  10/22 is mostly useful for burning up shit ammo.
View Quote

80?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Putting in a Volquartzen extractor made a world of difference in mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#21]
The one I have seems too shoot better dirty.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The one I have seems too shoot better dirty.
View Quote

If I clean my GM Heavy bbl it takes like 20-30 rds for the groups to settle back down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#23]
My Ruger .22 semi-autos prefer high velocity ammunition. Standard velocity ammo needs extra lube to run 100%.

I have seen so many people complain about their semi-auto's not running, once I look at them I can tell they haven't field stripped it in a decade or longer. Every .22 should be field stripped at least once a year, cleaned and lubed. This is a minimum of maintenance.

I've made up my mind the next person that brings a filthy .22 to my attention that doesn't work, I'm going to offer them 1/4 of what it's worth to take it off their hands. .22 ammo is filthy because the low pressures don't allow for a complete burn of the powder and the bullets are lubed lead. Crud accumulates quickly and no firearm will function for long under those conditions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Putting in a Volquartzen extractor made a world of difference in mine.
View Quote

Didn't really do anything on mine.  Gun has a tendency to crunch rounds if it short-strokes on a weak shell or shear a flap off of soft lead projectiles (Thunderbolts, etc.)
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Plastic lip mags are poor performers and are a leading cause of malfunctions.

A stock 10/22 will usually run for thousands of rounds without serious cleaning - it has broad tolerances for dirt and ammo variety.  

The more things you change to "improve" your 10/22 (pin the firing pin, mill the bolt for headspace, match barrel, etc,) the more often you'll need to clean it.

But a stock rifle?  They are energizer bunnies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be the only crazy person who actually prefers the 10rd mags.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my 10 rounders, I have a three pack of them that are hooked together with a bracket and they work just fine, I still have the original mag that came with mine over 45 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top