Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2016 11:10:26 AM EDT
I'm getting one of the new heavy barreled 10/22 takedowns (picking it up today) and need to decide what scope to use.  I just plan to plink with it, mostly suppressed.  Shooting paper, steel targets out to 200ish yards once in a while, etc.  Right now I'm leaning toward the Nikon 2-7 with the 22LR BDC reticle.  Any thoughts on how it compares to a Vortex or Leupold rimfire scope?  Or other suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like the fine cross-hairs on my Nikons.  The Vortex typically has a thicker cross-hair, which for some is easier on the eyes; but it tends to be distracting to me at longer distances.  
Leupold, I'm not sure, but likely has thinner cross-hairs as well.  

I've got a P-22 scope on my 10/22 that's seen 1,000s of rounds with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the sightron 2-7 rimfire and it's got a really nice thin reticle.  Good glass too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the fine cross-hairs on my Nikons.  The Vortex typically has a thicker cross-hair, which for some is easier on the eyes; but it tends to be distracting to me at longer distances.  
Leupold, I'm not sure, but likely has thinner cross-hairs as well.  

I've got a P-22 scope on my 10/22 that's seen 1,000s of rounds with no issues.
View Quote

This.  I love my Nikon and the glass is very clear.  The BDC is great too for on-fly shots hunting or shooting steel at long ranges

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Big fan of the vx2 rimfire with the adjustable objective
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Leupold Rimfire 4x (fixed power) on my 10/22. Clarity is excellent and the crosshairs are on the fine side. My rifle is not factory except for the receiver and walnut stock.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Weaver. Great glass for a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Leupold on my CZ and love it. But I am a Leupold fanboy so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!!!!!!

The weaver classic 2-7 is an great choice and its Japan made .... Glass is excellent at the price point

Edit: Midway has them on sale for a great price

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/734016/weaver-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope-25-7x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-matte
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Vortex , got it with rings cheaper than base price on the other models . I was actually surprised how nice the glass looked for the price point .
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Leupold 2-7x Rimfire or the 4x Rimfire.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This!!!!!!

The weaver classic 2-7 is an great choice and its Japan made .... Glass is excellent at the price point

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/734016/weaver-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope-25-7x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-matte
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!!!!

I'll "third" this. I have both the Weaver 2.5-7 and the Vortex 2-7. The Vortex is pretty good glass for the money, but it's not as good as the Weaver and it's 5 oz. heavier than the Weaver. Ditto what was said about the Vortex crosshairs. I don't necessarily "regret" buying the Vortex, but I would've been happier with another Weaver.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll "third" this. I have both the Weaver 2.5-7 and the Vortex 2-7. The Vortex is pretty good glass for the money, but it's not as good as the Weaver and it's 5 oz. heavier than the Weaver. Ditto what was said about the Vortex crosshairs. I don't necessarily "regret" buying the Vortex, but I would've been happier with another Weaver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!!!!

Is this comparing the Weaver with a Vortex Crossfire II or Vortex Diamondback?

OP, I just picked up a Bushnell AR Optics 2-7 Rimfire to try on my 10/22.  The glass looks very clear, even in low light.  It has a BDC that appears to be workable without being too cluttered.  It has side focus parallax adjustment.  

Unfortunately, it is a heavy, heavy beast and it has a nitrogen purge port screw that protrudes form the bottom of the scope tube, requiring it be mounted in medium rings.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping it or sending it back.  I like the features, particularly parallax adjustment in a 2-7 scope, but it's really heavy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OP, I just picked up a Bushnell AR Optics 2-7 Rimfire to try on my 10/22.  The glass looks very clear, even in low light.  It has a BDC that appears to be workable without being too cluttered.  It has side focus parallax adjustment.  

Unfortunately, it is a heavy, heavy beast and it has a nitrogen purge port screw that protrudes form the bottom of the scope tube, requiring it be mounted in medium rings.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping it or sending it back.  I like the features, particularly parallax adjustment in a 2-7 scope, but it's really heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!!!!

Apologies. It is the Crossfire II.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Vortex 2-7 crossfire II.  No experience with any of the other options, but it's a nice clear scope.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a leupold 3x9x33 EFR rimfire that I like.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 Nikons and a Leupold, all 2-7s
Basically equal for plinking, varmint control.
They variously reside on a 10-22, a Norinco Mini-Mauser knockoff 22LR, and a Savage A-17
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I mounted a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 on my RAR.  Excellent glass, life time warranty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the gun with the Weaver fit in the takedown bag?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does the gun with the Weaver fit in the takedown bag?  
View Quote

The Weaver is only 10.75" long and weighs 10.7 oz.

I have mine on QR rings and pop off the scope when packing the TD in its bag.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm getting one of the new heavy barreled 10/22 takedowns (picking it up today) and need to decide what scope to use.  I just plan to plink with it, mostly suppressed.  Shooting paper, steel targets out to 200ish yards once in a while, etc.  Right now I'm leaning toward the Nikon 2-7 with the 22LR BDC reticle.  Any thoughts on how it compares to a Vortex or Leupold rimfire scope?  Or other suggestions?
View Quote

The nikon is a good optic. I like fine cross hair scopes for my 22's especially when there's the occasional varmint need dispatching.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Vortex 2-8 Diamondback  HP.

Hash marks for holdover, adjustable focus and parallax.

$250
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a leupold 3x9x33 EFR rimfire that I like.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a fixed 4 x versus having an adjustable 2.5-7?  

I guess I'm wondering why not the 2.5-7 as it includes the 4?  

Obviously I'm just starting out and know nothing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#25]
The UTG bug buster is a nfty little scope

I just moved mine onto my izmash biathlon 22

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a fixed 4 x versus having an adjustable 2.5-7?  

View Quote

Variables are usually larger, heavier, and cost more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I just ordered a Leupold rimfire 2X7 for my 10-22 takedown.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 4x will be smaller and lighter in most instances.  Fixed power scopes tend to be a bit brighter in the same product line than their variable cousins, as there are fewer internal lenses.  Each lens surface has some parasitic light loss and reflection.  4x is often plenty for most .22LR purposes and is just about ideal for simple plinking and shooting small "critters" within the effective range of .22LR.

Having said that, I have both fixed and variable .22LR scopes, Weaver, Redfield and Leupold.  The best combination of optical quality, slim lines, light weight and value are  the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 series in 2-7x.   Be sure to either get the rimfire parallax models, or adjustable parallax.  Some scopes, notably Leupold, have a removable front cap in front of the objective lens.  Behind that is a slotted adjustment ring for changing parallax.  That can be used to make their centerfire scopes parallax correct for rimfire distances.  I've done that with some of my Leupold variables that are on rimfire rifles.  Many people do not know that this is the only difference between Leupold's rimfire scopes and their centerfire scopes in the VX-1 and VX-2 lines.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

VX1?  Nice.  Small enough to fit in TD bag and very light.  Half the weight of some of the others mentioned in this thread.  That's what you are paying for.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

VX1?  Nice.  Small enough to fit in TD bag and very light.  Half the weight of some of the others mentioned in this thread.  That's what you are paying for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was going to try something else. But when it came time to order, the Leupold wins again. I have the same scope on my CZ and love it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

One nice thing about a fixed 4x is its more compact than a variable

ETA- did not see the 2nd page!

A fixed power can be easier to mount because the eye piece is more compact
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#32]
There are plenty of good scopes out there but I'm a Leupold guy and run them on almost all my my rifles. My daughters CZ-452 Compact has a Leupold VX-1 2-7x Rimfire scope and it's a damn fine optic and more then worth the price IMO.

I have a Leupold 3-9x EFR scopes on a couple of other rimfires and actually prefer that scope for general purpose rimfire use but if you are looking for compact and light weight, the 2-7x is a fine alternative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top