Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 3:34:08 PM EDT
I picked this 1966 Stevens 87N yesterday for $50.00. It shoots .22 LR, L, and HV shorts.  Pre-'68 so no serial number.

The hardwood stock looked terrible (unless you like the "driveway" look) so I redid it with six coats of Tung Oil with a paste wax final finish. Turned-out OK.

Topped it off with a vintage 7/8" tubed Weaver D4 .22 scope.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, if you should break the firing pin ( I believe they are prone) Numrich is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Congrats, if you should break the firing pin ( I believe they are prone) Numrich is your friend.
View Quote

Odd, I've owned a number of the Stevens 87 and Savage model 6 series over the years had never had a FP issue. Cartridge lifter problems were more common with those series.

The bad actors I've encountered FP wise were Mossberg bolt actions....Havlin Sales is your friend for those.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I picked this 1966 Stevens 87N yesterday for $50.00. It shoots .22 LR, L, and HV shorts.  Pre-'68 so no serial number.

The hardwood stock looked terrible (unless you like the "driveway" look) so I redid it with six coats of Tung Oil with a paste wax final finish. Turned-out OK.

Topped it off with a vintage 7/8" tubed Weaver D4 .22 scope.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/118kkfb.jpg

View Quote

Excellent job on the stock, it looks great.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That birch stock has some nice figure to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned one and the previous owner was in his 80's.  No idea what he did with it.

When I tried to shoot it, nothing.  Numrich wouldn't sell an original FP.  Had to purchase the "new" version with the new hammer.  FP was stamped steel and split in half.  Possibly from lots of dry firing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top