Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2016 1:05:28 AM EDT
Hello!

I have been searching around, and haven't really seen much information about the Savage A17 rifle.  Looking at the rimfire forums, or even the Savage specific forums on other websites, there just seems to be an overall low amount of discussions occurring about this rifle.  I am not quite sure why, but I open up this thread to discuss any and everything about them.

To start off, I am a new owner of the A17 XP model.  It is being delivered tomorrow (3/16/16).  With this model, it comes with a Bushnell 3.5-10x36 mounted and Boresighted.  I decided to buy this rifle as I registered for an Appleseed training session.  I have never been to one, and I have heard that the were quite fun.  In addition to them teaching you basics for various shooting positions, they also provide some history lessons and tell some stories.  Unbeknownst to me though, these courses typically shoot 800 to 1000 rounds over the course of the two day event.  Most people bring a 22lr and maybe a .308 or .260 for some of the qualifying shots.  I have two high-end rifles, and wasn't about to send 800-1000 rounds of .308 or 6.5CM downrange!  Hence, enter the Savage A17!

For those who are not familiar with this rifle, it is a semi-automatic .17HMR rifle.  The .17HMR actually stands for .17 Hornady Rimfire Magnum, whereas the cartridge was invented by Hornady.  Those who are familiar with the .17HMR cartridge know that a semi-automatic action is uncommon with this round.  In fact, Remmington had this to say:

Remington has been notified by its supplier of .17 HMR ammunition that .17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.
View Quote

In response to Remington's statement, Hornady put out this statement:

We believe .17 HMR ammunition is manufactured to the highest standard of care and quality and performs within the specifications established for .17 HMR ammunition and is consistent with SAAMI standards for ALL ammunition. We are not firearms manufacturers, and we believe the firearms manufacturers are solely the ones responsible for determining if and how they should market and sell a model or type of firearm.
View Quote

Even CCI who began manufacturing millions of .17HMR rounds had this to say:

Do not use .17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms without consulting with your firearm’s manufacturer.
View Quote

It is odd to think that a rimfire cartridge would not be suitable for a semi-automatic action in the 21st century.  The issue is that with blowback-operated guns, the weight of the bolt and the force of the recoil spring is supposed to keep the bolt closed long enough for the bullet and expanding gases to escape the barrel and for pressure to drop to safe levels before the bolt opens (per ARM).  The issue is that the .17HMR cartridge exerts a lot more pressure, which causes some cartridges to fire before being fully supported in the chamber (out of battery).  If anyone has ever had an OOB, they know about the danger and damages caused.

A few manufacturers attempted to design solutions to the higher pressure cartridges with the typical blowback rimfire design of actions, but most were shelved and never taken to market.

Enter Savage Arms in 2015.

Savage created a delayed blowback bolt design, implementing it in their new rifle dubbed "A17".

Between 2015 and 2016, Savage has introduced 10 different models of the A17, with manufacturer codes 47001 through 47011.  Starting in 2016, model 47006 through 47011 was introduced.  The options offered are typical to any new line of rifles; the 06 model uses a thumbhole stock, the 011 model is dubbed the "XP" and comes with a scope.  This was the model I purchased.

So ARFCOM, tell me - what do you know / think / feel / like / hate about this rifle?  

What type of accuracy are you receiving?

Post some pictures of your rifle and setup!

Thanks,
Mike

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 1:15:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Browsing for accessories for the A17, I have found that Boyd Stocks offer a full line of stocks:

- Classic
- Featherweight Thumbhole
- Prairie Hunter
- Varmint Thumbhole
- Pro Varmint
- Platinum Savage
- Heritage Savage

As with all Boyd stocks, they offer full customization for colors, tactile, finish, and engraving.  Based on the information from Boyds website, they say it is a drop-in.  I really dig the thumbhole stocks:

Here was a post on rimfirecentral that I found where a guy has a Green colored Boyd stock.  I am not sure if I like that coloring, but the stock looks nice.  

From the quick research that I have done, once properly bedded - people are shooting 1/4 MOA groups consistently at 50 yards with CCI 17g ammo.  I am really interested in this now!

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
A good Friend bought an early A-17 off GB and upon receipt the trigger was terrible.  One of the magazines also appeared to be defective.  My Friend contacted Savage who acknowledged the problems and sent him a return authorization and Savage paid all shipping charges.  It took a while to get the A-17 back but the rifle now has a typical Accu-trigger.  The A17 is very accurate especially with Hornady 17 grain ammo.  The CCI A-17 ammo is slightly less accurate but has about 100 FPS more velocity.

This particular A-17 has been very reliable but you need to correctly seat the magazine which a little different than other designs.  My Friend added a Boyd's thumb hole stock which has enhanced the rifles already good accuracy.  This particular Friend has several 17 HMR's and he really likes his A-17.  This Friend let me borrow his Savage MK II synthetic stock standard barrel 17 HMR to use on a prairie dog hunt in Wy.   I have several friends who have Savage 17 HMR's and I hesitated buying one because I didn't want to stock another caliber.  I got home from my trip to Wyoming and promptly bought my own Savage MK II varmint (FV) synthetic stock.

I was really impressed with the 17 HMR in the wind at ranges out to 150-175 yards.  My Friend had a BSA Sweet 17 scope on his Savage and I put the same scope on mine.  If I ever go PD hunting again I'm definitely taking my 17 HMR.  For small game and varmints the 17 HMR  has made me a believer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm happy someone finally started a thread on this rifle. I have one and love it. I do plan to buy the Boyds stock. I use A17 ammo and it was decently accurate. Then I read an article on how the Boyds stock will increase accuracy by removing the vibrations inherent to the factory stock. So I tried something. I removed the stock and lined it with Dynamat; the same stuff used to remove vibration from your car when installing a big stereo. Sure enough, I went from having 2 or 3 flyers in a 10 round group down to none. I still plan to buy the Boyds just for comfort and looks. I have had zero problems with all 4 magazines and the trigger has been great. I modified the spring on the accu-release (silver blade), a bit to lighten it and it's just been a great shooter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm happy someone finally started a thread on this rifle. I have one and love it. I do plan to buy the Boyds stock. I use A17 ammo and it was decently accurate. Then I read an article on how the Boyds stock will increase accuracy by removing the vibrations inherent to the factory stock. So I tried something. I removed the stock and lined it with Dynamat; the same stuff used to remove vibration from your car when installing a big stereo. Sure enough, I went from having 2 or 3 flyers in a 10 round group down to none. I still plan to buy the Boyds just for comfort and looks. I have had zero problems with all 4 magazines and the trigger has been great. I modified the spring on the silver blade a bit to lighten it and it's just been a great shooter.
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/A17_zpstozw4ida.jpg
View Quote

Looks great!

By chance, do you have any pictures of the modifications that you did, with either the Dynamat or cutting the spring?

Which Boyd stock do you like the best?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, first take the rifle out of the stock. For point of comparison, I encourage you to hold the front of the stock with one hand, and knock on the back of stock with the other. you feel that bad vibration come right through.  Next, I removed the U shaped channel to expose the open spaces in the stock. I then lined them all with small pieces of dynamat along with the back of the channel. Then reassembled.

Next, I put a very small piece where the back of the receiver screws down, now it seats very solid.

Then, I removed the recoil pad and cut 2 larger pieces to fit inside the stock.

Once installed, I repeated the "knock" test I first mentioned and the vibration was greatly reduced. I then stuffed an old Tshirt inside of the back of the stock, reinstalled the butt pad, then did the "knock" test one last time and felt almost no vibration at the front of the stock.
The last thing I did was remove 1 coil from the accu-release spring which made the take up lighter yet it retains it's element of safety. I hope this helps. IM me with any questions if you like.

Quoted:

Looks great!

By chance, do you have any pictures of the modifications that you did, with either the Dynamat or cutting the spring?

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm happy someone finally started a thread on this rifle. I have one and love it. I do plan to buy the Boyds stock. I use A17 ammo and it was decently accurate. Then I read an article on how the Boyds stock will increase accuracy by removing the vibrations inherent to the factory stock. So I tried something. I removed the stock and lined it with Dynamat; the same stuff used to remove vibration from your car when installing a big stereo. Sure enough, I went from having 2 or 3 flyers in a 10 round group down to none. I still plan to buy the Boyds just for comfort and looks. I have had zero problems with all 4 magazines and the trigger has been great. I modified the spring on the silver blade a bit to lighten it and it's just been a great shooter.
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/A17_zpstozw4ida.jpg

Looks great!

Thanks,
Mike

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  It is odd to think that a rimfire cartridge would not be suitable for a semi-automatic action in the 21st century.  The issue is that with blowback-operated guns, the weight of the bolt and the force of the recoil spring is supposed to keep the bolt closed long enough for the bullet and expanding gases to escape the barrel and for pressure to drop to safe levels before the bolt opens (per ARM).  The issue is that the .17HMR cartridge exerts a lot more pressure, which causes some cartridges to fire before being fully supported in the chamber (out of battery).  If anyone has ever had an OOB, they know about the danger and damages caused.

A few manufacturers attempted to design solutions to the higher pressure cartridges with the typical blowback rimfire design of actions, but most were shelved and never taken to market.

Savage created a delayed blowback bolt design, implementing it in their new rifle dubbed "A17".
View Quote

Er, not quite.

In blowback guns, the recoil spring exists to return the bolt to battery - NOT to hold the bolt closed through firing.  That's purely done through the weight of the bolt, except in some very odd cases, such as the little tilting bbl Beretta/Taurus guns.

The issue is not that the cartridge fires before being fully supported in the chamber, it's that most simple blowback actions adapted from the .22" WMR opened too quickly, leading to a blowout of the case.  An OOB occurs before the case is fully seated; the problems w/ 17"HMR semi-autos were not OOBs, but extracting too quickly.  Very similar to an OOB, but occurs AFTER the bolt is fully in battery.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not sure where you were looking, but there plenty of advertisements, reviews, videos and threads on the rifle.  Especially when it came to the early problems with magazines falling out, the crappy trigger which Savage would fix if you sent the rifle back, and relatively poor accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Er, not quite.

In blowback guns, the recoil spring exists to return the bolt to battery - NOT to hold the bolt closed through firing.  That's purely done through the weight of the bolt, except in some very odd cases, such as the little tilting bbl Beretta/Taurus guns.

The issue is not that the cartridge fires before being fully supported in the chamber, it's that most simple blowback actions adapted from the .22" WMR opened too quickly, leading to a blowout of the case.  An OOB occurs before the case is fully seated; the problems w/ 17"HMR semi-autos were not OOBs, but extracting too quickly.  Very similar to an OOB, but occurs AFTER the bolt is fully in battery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It is odd to think that a rimfire cartridge would not be suitable for a semi-automatic action in the 21st century.  The issue is that with blowback-operated guns, the weight of the bolt and the force of the recoil spring is supposed to keep the bolt closed long enough for the bullet and expanding gases to escape the barrel and for pressure to drop to safe levels before the bolt opens (per ARM).  The issue is that the .17HMR cartridge exerts a lot more pressure, which causes some cartridges to fire before being fully supported in the chamber (out of battery).  If anyone has ever had an OOB, they know about the danger and damages caused.

Er, not quite.

Thanks for the clarification.  I meant to say spring tension rather than "recoil spring" along with the bolt mass holding against the round once fired.  You are right, it isn't an OOB to the nature of what an OOB truly is, but similar in regards that the case doesn't stay supported during the entire firing cycle (like it was fired out of battery).  Here is a good video that demonstrates the action, beginning at 1:18 seconds in:

Quoted:
I am not sure where you were looking, but there plenty of advertisements, reviews, videos and threads on the rifle.  Especially when it came to the early problems with magazines falling out, the crappy trigger which Savage would fix if you sent the rifle back, and relatively poor accuracy.

I searched this exact sub-forum between 1/1/2015 and 3/1/2016 for the term "Savage A17", and received "No topics found".  Maybe it was posted in another area of this forum, but I didn't do a whole site search as the topic should exist in this subsection.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I went ahead and ordered a Boyds Stock:

I was watching a video by Cave Dweller on YouTube, where he was showing off his Boyds stock and customized engraving.  I had intended on having Boyds engrave my name on the side of the stock, like they did on Cave Dweller.  Yet, when I selected the $20.00 up-charge for that service I found out that they only allowed for three (3) characters to be engraved.  Somewhere along the lines, they changed their engraving service.  It is important to note this, as each order of these stocks is deemed "custom" and they won't let you cancel the order, even if it hasn't gone to production yet.

Anyhow, as shown in the order summary I selected the Apple Jack coloring, in a Featherweight Thumbhole stock.  Here is an example of what it looks like:

I was thinking about Cerakoting the action and barrel to a Matte Black, vs. the polished black color it has now.  Thoughts?

I plan on bedding the action, after I watched a YouTube video from Cave Dweller (CD) titled "Savage A17, 17HMR How I made it shoot Straight".  It was a good video, showing original, before bedding, and after results.  In the original synthetic stock at 100 yards, CD was getting 2.5" to 3" groups.  Then, he simply installed the action in the new Boyd stock (without bedding it) and shot the groups again.  Finally, he bedded the action and did the accuracy test once more.  The results were quite interesting.  He was able to take it from the 2.5-3" groups down to sub-MOA with occasional flyers with the non-bedded group.  After bedding, he was able to reach 1/2 MOA with 17g ammo at 100 yards.  Pretty impressive!

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Red-RX7
Yup, that's the thread I saw when I decided to experiment and see how accurate I could get with the factory stock.
Your stock looks great! You won't regret owning the Boyd's stock.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice Backpacker21!

I also purchased a SilencerCo Sparrow SS for $409.00.  I will need to have a local gunsmith thread and cerakote the barrel (and action) while they are at it.  It should be a fun shooter once ll set and done.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Thanks for the clarification.  I meant to say spring tension rather than "recoil spring" along with the bolt mass holding against the round once fired.  You are right, it isn't an OOB to the nature of what an OOB truly is, but similar in regards that the case doesn't stay supported during the entire firing cycle (like it was fired out of battery).  Here is a good video that demonstrates the action, beginning at 1:18 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/QfTDHc8f1YI
View Quote

Thanks for the video.  I knew the A17 was a delayed blowback action, but didn't know how they had achieved that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My Boyd's Pro-Varmint Stock for my A17 should be here Monday.
Can't wait! I will most likely bed it for that much more accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#14]
What are you going to bed it with?

I purchased the Miles Gilbert Bedrock Glass Bedding Kit and the Hornady One Shot Spray Case Lube with DynaGlide Plus.  This kit has everything you need, along with the Case Lube Spray.  I know a few have used this before and have had great luck.

When did you order your stock, for it to be delivered on Monday?  I had an order placed on 3/17 - and expect it to be delivered this week.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered it the prior Tuesday March 22nd. The Pro Varmint stock I ordered just has the basic black finish so I'm guessing they can make it much quicker. I was actually shocked when I got the shipping notice.

Quoted:
What are you going to bed it with?

I purchased the Miles Gilbert Bedrock Glass Bedding Kit and the Hornady One Shot Spray Case Lube with DynaGlide Plus.  This kit has everything you need, along with the Case Lube Spray.  I know a few have used this before and have had great luck.

When did you order your stock, for it to be delivered on Monday?  I had an order placed on 3/17 - and expect it to be delivered this week.

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#16]
They Boyd's makes it feel heavier for sure. I'm hearing the Pro Varmint stock weighs just about 1.2 pounds more but man does it give the rifle a perfect feel and the magazines lock up tight. Now I just need to Cerakote the barrel and receiver in Magpul FDE and glass bed it.  I think it looks WAY better. Thoughts anyone!
Before:
</a>" />

After:
" />
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Your new stock looks great!

I cannot wait until mine comes in!
pWhile your stock weighs 1.2 more, is it worth it for the rigidity it offers?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely. It will most likely be shooting it from a bench at prairie dogs or down prone. Either way, it feels way more comfortable and the cheek weld is superior to the factory.

Quoted:
Your new stock looks great!

I cannot wait until mine comes in!
pWhile your stock weighs 1.2 more, is it worth it for the rigidity it offers?

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  They Boyd's makes it feel heavier for sure. I'm hearing the Pro Varmint stock weighs just about 1.2 pounds more but man does it give the rifle a perfect feel and the magazines lock up tight. Now I just need to Cerakote the barrel and receiver in Magpul FDE and glass bed it.  I think it looks WAY better. Thoughts anyone!
Before:
http://<a href=http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/A17_zpstozw4ida.jpg</a>" />

After:
http://<a href=http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/Boyds2_zps2hxnz40g.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Savage builds nice guns, but they seemingly have the cheapest mag latches possible.  That's a good looking stock.  Why paint it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not painting the stock. I don't like the shiny blued barrel and plan to paint it flat black.

Quoted:

Savage builds nice guns, but they seemingly have the cheapest mag latches possible.  That's a good looking stock.  Why paint it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  They Boyd's makes it feel heavier for sure. I'm hearing the Pro Varmint stock weighs just about 1.2 pounds more but man does it give the rifle a perfect feel and the magazines lock up tight. Now I just need to Cerakote the barrel and receiver in Magpul FDE and glass bed it.  I think it looks WAY better. Thoughts anyone!
Before:
http://<a href=http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/A17_zpstozw4ida.jpg</a>" />

After:
http://<a href=http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/Boyds2_zps2hxnz40g.jpg</a>" />

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is before and after. I'm liking the flat black way better!

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
A customer came in wanting their A22?  He thinks the .22" WMR holds more energy & bucks the wind better past 100 yds.  Interesting, it is a thing:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/A22Magnum
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I would be interested in the platform if I could find .22 WMR ammo. When it does show up, it's gone before it hits the shelves.  It uses the same magazine as the A17 as the .17HMR is just a necked down .22mag.

Quoted:
A customer came in wanting their A22?  He thinks the .22" WMR holds more energy & bucks the wind better past 100 yds.  Interesting, it is a thing:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/A22Magnum
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up my A17 right after Christmas. And finally, I was able to shoot it a few weeks ago. I mounted a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40mm on it. The rifle performed flawlessly. I had one magazine give me a little trouble by being hard to load. It did get better with use. The plastic stock will be swapped out soon. Lots of flex, especially at the forend. I'm watching for one of the new heavy barrel models. And hoping Savage will bring a 20rd magazine to market.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I plan on putting the rifle in the Boyds stock tonight.

I spoke with Boyds - they don't have a mold that will fit the bull-barrel that is now coming out from Savage ... FYI to those who want a bull barrel.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#26]
With EGW Scope Rail
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I spoke with Boyds - they don't have a mold that will fit the bull-barrel that is now coming out from Savage ... FYI to those who want a bull barrel.

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

Haven't seen much on the bull barrel. Do you have a link to any information? Is it out yet?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I check Gallery of Guns once a week. Still sitting at zero available. The A22 Magnum is available though. Hopefully the bull barrel isn't to far behind.

Quoted:

Haven't seen much on the bull barrel. Do you have a link to any information? Is it out yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#29]
There is so much meat to the boyd's stock I would think with the correct tools it wouldn't be a problem to inlet it and widen the barrel channel for the bull barrel.

Quoted:
I check Gallery of Guns once a week. Still sitting at zero available. The A22 Magnum is available though. Hopefully the bull barrel isn't to far behind.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:41:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally saw an A22 in the flesh.  Looks nearly exactly like the A17, but it looks like there's a small steel bit on the magazine follower.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

Picked up the heavy barrel version the other day. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top