Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:33:59 PM EDT
I have a standard wood/blue 10-22 that I put one of those soft, plastic buffers into in place of the bolt stop pin. Now if you shoot one shot the gun will not pick up and chamber the next round. I tried it in another 10-22 and it did the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this? Searching the internet I can't find anything about this situation. The gun is a parts gun I put together out of stray parts because I had almost a complete gun so I bought a receiver and put it together. I wish I had a factory bolt stop pin but Brownells and Midway are both out of them. Anyone ever had to fit their buffer by sanding it down or otherwise reducing its size so the bolt would go back a little farther?

Update:

Installed the Kidd buffer and took the gun out. The problem of it not picking up the next round out of the mag is solved. However the gun was jamming some and splitting cases. Investigation revealed my free take off barrel is chambered 22 mag. So, the saga continues. I already have a line on another free barrel but it will be a couple weeks before I will be able to grab it. I think then the gun will be OK.

Update #2:

I snagged another free barrel for the parts gun and it turned out to be stainless. I put it on, put some sights on it, installed some sling swivels, and took it out. With Auto Match or CCI offhand at 25 it was shooting into about 1.5" using a sling and leaned against a post. Im sure it will do better with some good sights and an improved trigger. Never jammed. While I was shooting another gun it was in the rack behind the line and a random guy knocked it onto the concrete. He felt bad but I told him don't worry about it. It did put a couple booger places on the stock but the gun isn't going to win any beauty contests anyway. Texted the guy who wants a cheap 10-22 for his kid. See if he texts me back.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
In a properly tuned 10-22 the bolt does not hit the buffer.

The buffer is just 1/4" steel pin, you could make one with a cut down drill bit if you need it now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never heard of a problem caused by an aftermarket, plastic buffer.  I suspect that either your ammo is not sufficiently powerful to push the bolt back far enough, OR both rifles might not be clean and/or properly lubed.
View Quote

I could try that. The gun will run with a factory bolt stop pin. I use Auto Match, CCI Standard Vel, or CCI Mini Mags. Like I say the buffer made two guns that will run with the factory pin choke. But like you say I appear to be the only person in the history of the internet to experience this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the plastic is more springy than normal and the bolt is bouncing back faster not giving the magazine time to get the next shell in position. I use a Kidd buffer. It is a two piece Viton rubber outer, and a hard steel pin inner.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe the plastic is more springy than normal and the bolt is bouncing back faster not giving the magazine time to get the next shell in position. I use a Kidd buffer. It is a two piece Viton rubber outer, and a hard steel pin inner.
View Quote

Came here to post this. Kidd products rock. If the other suggestions don't work, try the Kidd buffer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The accelerated bolt close has been noted before over on rimfire central.  IIRC the fix was a different buffer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
THIS! The KIDD bolt buffer does rock and has a lifetime warranty.

Quoted:

Came here to post this. Kidd products rock. If the other suggestions don't work, try the Kidd buffer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The accelerated bolt close has been noted before over on rimfire central.  IIRC the fix was a different buffer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes a lot of sense. That pin is holding up my Brownells order. I may go ahead and just order a different buffer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered a couple Kidd buffers. I hope they will work. For many years I didn't care for the 10-22. I used a Marlin 39A. I got involved with Appleseed and discovered a sling, Volquartsen target hammer, and some tech sights turn the 10-22 into a short, light, good shooting gun.  

The way I wound up with the parts gun I need the buffer for was by stripping out the receiver threads that hold the gun into the stock of a pet rifle. Pretty nauseating feeling when that action screw spins. I bought another receiver but then learned how to repair the one I stripped with a helicoil. That gun now shoots better than it did.

Since I had the extra receiver, a free barrel, and a free stock, I bought a bolt and spring. Got the trigger group out of another gun I put a BX25 trigger in. I am all about getting people, esp kids, to go to Appleseed. I maintain loaner guns so people can borrow them and am always looking for used, cheap 10-22s to sell to people who get interested for whatever I paid for them.

The cost of going to Appleseed can be too much if you are having to buy 1 or 2 guns, entry fee, ammo, gas, mats, etc. it can be pushing 1K if you buy two guns new and set them up. If they can borrow guns the first time it really cuts the cost. If they buy guns after their first try I wil help them set them up. I'm trying to get that parts gun ready for a kid who wants to go soon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing you needed to add to the 10/22 in the first place first lesson of gun ownership should be if it functions don't mess with it
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The gun lives!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top