Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2016 9:52:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has one we are trying to 'sort out".
Serial number is 411XXX with an A under it.
Round barrel.
However..it doesn't have the furniture of a 62A..it has the furniture of an 1890 Octagon barrel rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=85035

This is the best pic I have right now. It's not marked as to what it shoots, short, long or long rifle and it doesn't have the gallery gun "hole" in the mag tube.
Any idea's? Garden variety model 62A that someone swapped older furniture on?
View Quote

Damn, that looks like a 1906 "corncob"....Same number of grooves and all.

My 1906.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking for parts, there's a fella who goes to the Tulsa show that has all the parts.  Sometimes he even has receivers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
At first glance it appears to be a mix of parts as the barrel looks like an 1890 barrel. Do the two halves have the same serial number? May even be someone used a barrel and slide handle from an older gun in a rebuild more pics of markings and details would help
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, that would explain the missing elevator.    Nice gat.  I'd love to have an antique one - and the action is long enough to convert to .17" HMR...  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, that would explain the missing elevator.    Nice gat.  I'd love to have an antique one - and the action is long enough to convert to .17" HMR...  
View Quote

Bad idea!

The older Winchesters were made long before the time of "Hi-Speed" ammo....even shorts. Many develop hairline cracks at the wrist from a diet of HV. Fed standard vel. ammo in the old Winchesters and they (and you) will be happy..

If memory serves .22 actions/stocks were not beefed-up to handle HV ammo till the 40s.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bad idea!

The older Winchesters were made long before the time of "Hi-Speed" ammo....even shorts. Many develop hairline cracks at the wrist from a diet of HV. Fed standard vel. ammo in the old Winchesters and they (and you) will be happy..

If memory serves .22 actions/stocks were not beefed-up to handle HV ammo till the 40s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Well, that would explain the missing elevator.    Nice gat.  I'd love to have an antique one - and the action is long enough to convert to .17" HMR...  

Bad idea!

So you're saying I'd need to build a Lego stock for it if I converted one to .17" HMR?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So you're saying I'd need to build a Lego stock for it if I converted one to .17" HMR?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Well, that would explain the missing elevator.    Nice gat.  I'd love to have an antique one - and the action is long enough to convert to .17" HMR...  

Bad idea!

You will need a new receiver.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad idea!

Rats.  Even in the .22" WRF receivers?  Ran into a fella w/ all kinds of parts @ Tulsa years ago, and his kids were bugging him to build a .22" WMR or a .17" HMR, don't remember which.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rats.  Even in the .22" WRF receivers?  Ran into a fella w/ all kinds of parts @ Tulsa years ago, and his kids were bugging him to build a .22" WMR or a .17" HMR, don't remember which.
View Quote

I mean new as in something made out of modern, correctly heat treated steel. The .22 WRF is only about as powerful as a high velocity .22 LR.

The .22 WMR and .17 HMR are MUCH more powerful.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I mean new as in something made out of modern, correctly heat treated steel. The .22 WRF is only about as powerful as a high velocity .22 LR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, rats.  Always wanted a pump-action antique .17" HMR.  Hmm.  Maybe if I luck into an antique receiver that is already cracked, and needs some reinforcement welded to it.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
stop hijacking my thread you two.

Any idea what dollar value one of these old girls has on it?
View Quote

I don't know for sure. A Winchester collector might be interested in it, so maybe $4-500?

ETA: That's US dollars...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
If it's a pre-1899, would have a bit more value in the US b/c of antique status.  It's it's pre-1898, I believe it's an antique under Canadian law as well.  If you can ship antiques across the 49th parallel, you might get a bit more money for it down here on Gun Broker, et al.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tks for the info. the owner researched the serial number and came up with 1914. I came up with 1940's...
are there any accurate websites out there for running the serial number?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tks for the info. the owner researched the serial number and came up with 1914. I came up with 1940's...

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Quoted:

stop hijacking my thread  

It can never be stated enough to use only standard velocity ammo in these old guns. Most buyers of old pumps don't have a clue about that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well according to that site..it isn't a model 62A..it is a 1906....
Found one on gun broker and the seller states that they switched to round barrels after their supply of octagon ones ran out. However this one has no roll marks on the barrel at all..
View Quote

That was what I was thinking as it definitely has a '06 corncob and your serial (if six-digits) was way too high for a 62 of any flavor.

It could have went back to Winchester and a replacement barrel could have been installed or it could have been installed by a Smith.

Comparing your rifle's receiver to my '06 I suspect that is what it is.

1914-15 Frankenchester.

BTW....There is something very weird going on with your mag tube where it meets the receiver. Compare it to my "62 and '06.

M1906 top....M62 bottom:

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Tks for the info. the owner researched the serial number and came up with 1914. I came up with 1940's...
View Quote

You could get a factory letter from the Winchester/Cody Museum (Wyoming, I think).  Given it's not antique, might not be worth it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the threads showing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW....There is something very weird going on with your mag tube where it meets the receiver. Compare it to my "62 and '06.

M1906 top....M62 bottom:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/313j29j.jpg
the threads showing?

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We are assuming it is a gallery gun as it won't chamber long rifle..is it possible someone swapped mag tubes and didn't turn it in all the way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the threads showing?

Yep.
We are assuming it is a gallery gun as it won't chamber long rifle..is it possible someone swapped mag tubes and didn't turn it in all the way.

Can't really say without seeing if the steel mag-tube follower fits flush with the inside front of the receiver. I don't think there is much if any difference between the '09 and 62 receiver length where the tube screws-in.

As it's Frankenchester the mag-tube could just be cross-threaded or something.

What is the length of the mag-tube? A '09 and M62's is around 18" counting the inner tube knob measured from the knob to the front of the receiver..
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top