Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2016 8:34:38 PM EDT
I have a threaded 10/22 with a hogue stock, DNZ scope mount, and BX trigger. My wife has a 15-22 with a scope on it already and I am really thinking about getting the new 15-22 sport and ditching the Ruger all together.

The only downside I can see at this point would be that I would have a worse trigger unless I upgrade but the 15-22 with a red dot and suppressor would be pretttty sweet.

Has anyone tested the accuracy of a standard 10/22 vs the M&P? Reliability seems to be a wash as they both function very well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Having many variations of the 10/22 as well as a 15-22, I can say that I really enjoy shooting them both and see no big swing in accuracy. There is def a coolness factor when it comes to the suppressed 15-22. Running a close 2nd would be my suppressed charger takedown.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I do have a Surefire Ryder 22-S in jail that I should have any day now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Bench resting, my 10/22 in its factory configuration would make 10rd groups at 25 yards I could cover with a dime (it does that at 50 now on a calm day). My 15/22 not so much. In my experience, the 10/22 is far more accurate platform with untold aftermarket mods. The 15/22 has the cool factor and it's just a ton of fun but it's no tack driver.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My biggest knock on the MP 15-22 is the mags.  The ammo being exposed can be a major issue if you are in muddy or dusty areas.  I always worried about malfunctions in harsh conditions.

When I wanted/needed a 22LR trainer...I bought a dedicated CMMG 22LR AR15 uppers because it feels and weighs just like any standard AR15.  Only difference is no recoil and the magazine/ammo weigh less, but for training proposes it's exactly the same.   Much better than the light and cheap feeling MP 15-22.

10/22 has been around a long time and their mags have been perfected.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
A good 10/22 will outshoot a good 15-22 in my limited experience (4 10/22's and 3 15-22's)  

The 10/22 is cheaper and easier to turn into a good shooter and arguably with the right upgrades the better .22 based trainer for precision shooting of the two.   The 15-22 has the same manual of arms of it's bigger brother and unarguably is the better .22 trainer for tactical shooting.

But it depends on what you're doing with it?  Ringing standard plates out to 200 yards or shooting for ragged hole groups at 50?

If I could have only one or the other I'd probably take the 15-22 as it's the more 'fun' shooter to me personally.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good 10/22 will outshoot a good 15-22 in my limited experience (4 10/22's and 3 15-22's)  

The 10/22 is cheaper and easier to turn into a good shooter and arguably with the right upgrades the better .22 based trainer for precision shooting of the two.   The 15-22 has the same manual of arms of it's bigger brother and unarguably is the better .22 trainer for tactical shooting.

But it depends on what you're doing with it?  Ringing standard plates out to 200 yards or shooting for ragged hole groups at 50?

If I could have only one or the other I'd probably take the 15-22 as it's the more 'fun' shooter to me personally.  
View Quote

Idk I might just buy myself a 15-22 also and keep my 10/22 scoped for hunting. I'd probably get a strikefire red dot for the 15-22 to make it my AR "trainer". I still need a bolt gun before I get my can... I'm going to end up with a ton of 22lr guns because of this stupid can.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I know "both" is the joke answer around here, but I think it applies.  Both are great guns, and .22 in general is a lot of fun.

they serve two purposes.  If you want to "run and gun", blast steel targets, and practice your AR15 manual of arms, that is what the 15-22 is for.
If you want more target for groups on paper or more accurate plinking (smaller targets, longer ranges etc.) then the 10/22 is better.

If you only can have or want to have one .22 rifle, just figure out which scenario is more fun for you. (although if the wife has a 15-22, why not just keep the Ruger and the two of you switch every now and then?)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My biggest knock on the MP 15-22 is the mags.  The ammo being exposed can be a major issue if you are in muddy or dusty areas.  I always worried about malfunctions in harsh conditions.

View Quote

I have a CMMG upper on an AR15 dedicated for .22 use.  I actually got the Boonie-Packer adapter so I could run 15-22 mags.  They are much more reliable than the others, and easier to load with the button thing.
Different strokes
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
How much are you really going to make by getting rid of the Ruger?  It's a .22, it's not going to make you a boatload of money... People ARE allowed to have more than one .22.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know "both" is the joke answer around here, but I think it applies.  Both are great guns, and .22 in general is a lot of fun.

they serve two purposes.  If you want to "run and gun", blast steel targets, and practice your AR15 manual of arms, that is what the 15-22 is for.
If you want more target for groups on paper or more accurate plinking (smaller targets, longer ranges etc.) then the 10/22 is better.

If you only can have or want to have one .22 rifle, just figure out which scenario is more fun for you. (although if the wife has a 15-22, why not just keep the Ruger and the two of you switch every now and then?)
View Quote

I can use it any time but she wants it scoped and I want a red dot on it

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Gemtech Mist.

But I'd still get both.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Ummmm...

Bofe

Duh.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a 1-4 red dot scope. Problem solved!

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I have been eye balling the Mueller speed shot for my lever gun and a .22

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Our 10/22s shoot much tighter groups than our 15-22.
The 15-22 is more fun to shoot.
The 15-22 is so much easyer to clean.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
10/22 for hunting.  Flush fitting Mag is great for walking around the woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top