Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2016 11:48:02 PM EDT
Looking to add a peep sight to my 10/22 and was wondering if there is a model that is adjustable for both windage and elevation and will work with the factory front sight height?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Williams Ace In The Hole sight for around $50 will add a rear peep aperture and picatinny rail. Comes with a fiber optic front sight as well. Just google it and you'll find decent pics. They come upon eBay from time to time as well. Just make sure you get the 10/22 version as Williams makes a bunch of similar units.

Also, the rear sight has two apertures. You can unscrew the smaller hole peep and have a decent larger peep sight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe, you are still going to have to replace the front sight even with the Williams Ace In The Hole sight in order to have any sort of usable sight picture at all.

The problem is that the original 10//22 sights, front and rear, are both mounted on the barrel and low on the barrel at that. When you move the rear sight "up" and mount it on the receiver (particularly an adjustable aperture sight) that factory front sight is pretty much guaranteed to sit too low for most applications which is why you typically have to replace the front sight as well.

ETA- I may be wrong. Somebody give OP and me better advice if I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I normally buy Ruger 10/22 Mag front sights. They are taller, this allows for the rear sight aperture  to be moved up. It gives me a better sight picture.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Williams FP-RU-TK can be mounted pretty low, without cutting your stock.  You would have to drill and tap the receiver to mount it:
Link look at first pics on second post.

I never mounted one, and my intentions (in that post) were to use a target front anyway.  I would imagine you could get that as low as the factory rear sight.

My research on iron sights, is that that most of the aftermarket sights are higher, and you then have to get a cheek riser etc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Tech Sights are worth it. Not sure why you would want to keep the brass bead front sight with an aperture rear.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I did experiment the other day to mate a M1 Carbine front sight with the rear sight from a Chiappa (sp) carbine rear sight on a threaded 16" barrel.

I fixed it directly to the receiver and the combo worked great!

I plan on altering a steel rear sight to work the same way when I can find a commercial M1 carbine rear sight as I'm not into plastic as there is too much movement in the sight.

You get the idea.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Our 10/22 is really old, but really nice.  And you can't take the front sight off.  Maybe a gunsmith could, but it appears like it's part of the barrel.  It's probably silver soldered on and blued over or something.  But I have no clue how it would come off.  Which is kind of a bummer.  My kids shoot the thing every time we go and some better sights would be a bonus. Although they shoot it with the open sights and don't do too bad.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The OEM front sight is designed to work with the barrel-mounted OEM rear. That's why it's too low for any receiver sight.

As a compromise, you could install a Marble Arms "Bullseye" rear sight in place of the OEM. It would give you a peep at any rate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top