Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 5:49:53 PM EDT
I just bought a Iver Johnson EW M1 style rifle. This my first 22lr and i know alot of 22s can be picky about what ammo cycles and functions best. Wonder if any one can give me info on what ammo functions best in there vintage M1 22.lr ?

Also can i use any 22lr marked ammo in this rifle ?

Or is there something on the ammo box I need to look out for?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool! But we need pics.

I've always found CCI MiniMags to be the most dependable and odds are they'll work in your new gun too. But good luck finding them nowadays.

Winchester Super X is generally a good choice too. Most of the bulk ammo is hit or miss. Chances are you'll find something there that'll work too but it might take you a few tries to find the right brand.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would start with standard velocity ammo like CCI SV (a good all around starting point).  If it doesn't run with standard velocity I would then move up to high speed stuff.  

Not sure what it was designed for but the springs are probably 30 years old or more and may have seen considerable use.  If it runs on SV I'd stick with that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Every now and then you can find the Winchester M-22 bulk packs. These run real well in my rifles also. If you gun is new I would say break it in with the high velocity stuff and once broken in it should run standard just fine. If it's seen some miles the SV CCI should run fine and I've found it to be the most accurate and dependable for my .22s.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every now and then you can find the Winchester M-22 bulk packs. These run real well in my rifles also. If you gun is new I would say break it in with the high velocity stuff and once broken in it should run standard just fine. If it's seen some miles the SV CCI should run fine and I've found it to be the most accurate and dependable for my .22s.
View Quote

They haven't made that gun in 30-40 years.  It ain't new but it could be low round count.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#5]
In terms of bulk packs...  My guns shoot the 325 rd Federal match ammo pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I got this ammo ordered 22 LR Remington Golden Bullet 40 Grain Plated Round Nose Ammo will try it. Did not really think about trying to get away standard velocity. Good point on the age of the return spring. I still post pics soon. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just bought a Iver Johnson EW M1 style rifle. This my first 22lr and i know alot of 22s can be picky about what ammo cycles and functions best. Wonder if any one can give me info on what ammo functions best in there vintage M1 22.lr ?

Also can i use any 22lr marked ammo in this rifle ?

Or is there something on the ammo box I need to look out for?
Thanks
View Quote

For any .22lr that's 'finicky' with ammo I've had best luck with the CCI Mini mags (round nose copper jacketed), followed by most Federal ammo that has a copper jacketed round nose. Can't remember what Federal calls that.
CCI Stingers are usually the most common type for sale but the hollow points may not feed as reliably as the round nose.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one of those.  Interesting little rig.  Mine had a definite ammo preference.  I don't recall what it was off the top of my head and yours may very well like something else.  With all 22's you need to experiment.

Mine liked to be kept clean and lubed.  Therein lays the problem.  Take down on this things is not for the faint of heart.  Like a lot of Germanic machinery it has twice as many parts as it should.  It's has a lot of small springs that like to detach themselves during disassembly.  Proceed with caution and for God's sake don't do it in a carpeted room.  Do not take the trigger group apart.  Ever.  Check out Numrich for an exploded drawing and you'll see what I mean.  They occasionally have magazines; expect to pay $35 or more.

The feed lips on the magazine of mine were very sharp.  An afternoon at the range could get painful.  Mine ran well enough and gave acceptable accuracy but really did nothing special.  I sold it some years ago and can't say I miss it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top