Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 11:31:47 AM EDT
I've ordered a 10/22 to use at an Appleseed event and wonder if it needs to be cleaned before 1st use?  The manual doesn't say a thing about it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually do.  Clean and oil before first time out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Yes.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

Absolutely.

Be sure to check the barrel for obstructions if you choose not to though. A while back I heard of a few people firing a round with the broken post from Rugers yellow chamber flag sitting in the barrel. It didn't fair well for the rifle.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Always strip, clean, and lube a gun before first use.  I fully disassemble mine, but then I'm a little OCD.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Punch the bore, lube, shoot it a lot.  

I do this 50% of the time all the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  You'd be surprised at the amount of oil and gunk you'll find in a "new" barrel.  At the very least, run a boresnake through it before firing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone, cleaned it last night
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely tear down, clean, inspect, and lube.  New guns get a heavy coating of grease so they don't rust while sitting unsold for years at a warehouse.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a critically important safety issue. Unless the seller cleans the firearm (properly) in your presence before handing it over to  you, always clean any new-to-you firearm before shooting it. You don't know that the bore and other working parts are not obstructed until you verify them personally. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top