Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 10:00:42 PM EDT
Have been thinking about doing the basic VQ hammer upgrade on my 10/22 takedown, but the Kidd upgrade kit nabbed my attention. This isn't going to be a target rifle, is the Kidd worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If your after the best possible trigger yes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I deeply regret buying the Volquartsen trigger kit. Expensive kit that makes it lighter with still the same amount of slop and no feel.

Have a Kidd 2 stage in one 10/22 and a trigger I worked on which has no take up or over travel in another.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I deeply regret buying the Volquartsen trigger kit. Expensive kit that makes it lighter with still the same amount of slop and no feel.

Have a Kidd 2 stage in one 10/22 and a trigger I worked on which has no take up or over travel in another.

View Quote

Same thoughts here - with the volquartsen trigger I noticed a lot of slop with a lightened trigger pull. My Kidd drop it in kits are tight and crisp.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I am building a Integral 10/22. Used a KIDD single-stage drop in. If there's a better drop-in, production trigger out there than this, I would love to hear about it. Don't have my MIST suppressed barrel yet, but just testing the trigger in the stock, WOW! Can't wait!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's your answer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your answer.

If an extra $50 will buy me the best, that's $50 I don't mind spending
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both and Kidd triggers are superior by far.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your answer.

It's definitely money well spent....

KIDDs complete single or two stage are THE best. Their drop in is very close though and the best drop in out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's the thing about the Kidd drop-in hammer/sear kit. It's great. Kidd has the absolute best geometry for hammer/sear engagement ever devised for the 10/22. (I wish he'd do something for Marlins, but they probably aren't worth the design effort.)

But once you get that great kit you are still stuck with the Ruger trigger return spring/plunger which adds weight, overtravel, and gritty feel to the trigger pull as well as a weak, sloppy reset. You still have an OEM bolt lock plate, so you have to modify yours or buy one to get auto bolt release.

So if I had $75-85 to spend I'd get a Brimstone Tier 2 or the comparable Swampfox trigger job with all those bits done in the deal and the excellent torsion spring trigger return and overtravel stop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But once you get that great kit you are still stuck with the Ruger trigger return spring/plunger which adds weight, overtravel, and gritty feel to the trigger pull as well as a weak, sloppy reset. You still have an OEM bolt lock plate, so you have to modify yours or buy one to get auto bolt release.
View Quote

If your getting over travel with a Kidd trigger then you have not adjusted the over travel screw.

Kidds  triggers are the best out there, others are a ballance between better than factory and cost.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have no experience with Volquartsen but my Kid drop in triggers (I have 3) are fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Rocketman, are you talking about the Kidd full trigger groups ($200+) or the "Trigger Job Kit" ($105)?

I forgot about the set screw in the trigger blade. Yes, you can adjust to minimize overtravel. But you still have the crummy reset and gritty pull added by the trigger return plunger.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's the thing about the Kidd drop-in hammer/sear kit. It's great. Kidd has the absolute best geometry for hammer/sear engagement ever devised for the 10/22. (I wish he'd do something for Marlins, but they probably aren't worth the design effort.)

So if I had $75-85 to spend I'd get a Brimstone Tier 2 or the comparable Swampfox trigger job with all those bits done in the deal and the excellent torsion spring trigger return and overtravel stop.
View Quote

I'm generally with Bob here.  I have owned seven 10/22s over the years and I have tried many ways to improve the trigger.  Currently for me it's either Brimstone/Swampfox/Randy trigger job if you want to go lower cost or if you want the best just buy the complete Kidd trigger group.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Duplicate post deleted
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Rocketman, are you talking about the Kidd full trigger groups ($200+) or the "Trigger Job Kit" ($105)?

I forgot about the set screw in the trigger blade. Yes, you can adjust to minimize overtravel. But you still have the crummy reset and gritty pull added by the trigger return plunger.
View Quote

Kidd also has replacement trigger return springs which can reduce pull weight even further for his drop in kits and the plunger can be polished if need be. I have 2 of Kidd's drop in kits (with the factory plunger and return spring) and have no grittiness or over-travel.

As for the auto-bolt release mod, that is such a stupidly simple mod, anybody with 2 hands (or 1 hand an a vice) and a file can do it. There is no reason to buy an aftermarket version (not even Kidd's)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kidd also has replacement trigger return springs which can reduce pull weight even further for his drop in kits and the plunger can be polished if need be. I have 2 of Kidd's drop in kits (with the factory plunger and return spring) and have no grittiness or over-travel.

As for the auto-bolt release mod, that is such a stupidly simple mod, anybody with 2 hands (or 1 hand an a vice) and a file can do it. There is no reason to buy an aftermarket version (not even Kidd's)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried KIDDs? The hole pattern they use makes for a smooth and slop free bolt lock. The Ruger versions holes give all sorts of room for the release to move around. I can definitely feel the difference in function between the two and personally think it's worth the $11 price tag. I believe RimfireTech uses a similar hole pattern to KIDD and Ive heard it's nice as well but I haven't tried one yet myself....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Agreed. The Kidd bolt lock plate is the best I have seen. In fact, in every part category, there is nobody who makes a better product than Kidd. The only reason not to get Kidd is price. Fortunately, for those of us with limited budgets, there are lots of excellent solutions that provide 80% of Kidd quality at 50% or less of the price.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you tried KIDDs? The hole pattern they use makes for a smooth and slop free bolt lock. The Ruger versions holes give all sorts of room for the release to move around. I can definitely feel the difference in function between the two and personally think it's worth the $11 price tag. I believe RimfireTech uses a similar hole pattern to KIDD and Ive heard it's nice as well but I haven't tried one yet myself....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have as a matter of fact and I still say it's a complete waste of money IMO
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for Kidd.  The trigger on my new take down was so heavy it made the gun unshootable.  I bought the complete Kidd set up for 2.5 pounds and it's perfect.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are open to a third.   Send in your barreled upper to CPC and Randy will mate all the parts together perfectly.  Barrel to receiver, bolt to barrel, recrown, and perfect your trigger.  And more if needed.  

This was much much cheaper and better than the full Volquartsen that I owned.  

The volquartsen was no slouch by any definition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have both. The Kidd wins hands down.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
KIDD is the answer you seek. I have thought about trying his "trigger kit", because I have more 10/22 than I have $$$. I thought that I read that they were designed for use in the new poly trigger groups. Anyone use them in an aluminum trigger group?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
KIDD is the answer you seek. I have thought about trying his "trigger kit", because I have more 10/22 than I have $$$. I thought that I read that they were designed for use in the new poly trigger groups. Anyone use them in an aluminum trigger group?
View Quote

You are correct. For all the flak the newer polymer trigger groups get, they are actually much more uniform and precise than the old aluminum groups. The trigger group pin holes are in the same place on the group the same distance from each other. Apparently the aluminum groups holes can vary so much that at times the trigger job kit wouldn't function and why KIDD only recommends the kit be used with the polymer groups.

The only way to know if the KIDD TJK will function with your aluminum housing is to give it a try. I've read many many people over at RFC claim they've installed numerous TJKs in aluminum housings with zero problems. It SEEMS to be much more common for the TJK to work in aluminum housings than not but don't hold me to that. I also remember reading people doing a relatively simple bit of gunsmithing and getting the TJK to work perfectly after....
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You are correct. For all the flak the newer polymer trigger groups get, they are actually much more uniform and precise than the old aluminum groups. The trigger group pin holes are in the same place on the group the same distance from each other. Apparently the aluminum groups holes can vary so much that at times the trigger job kit wouldn't function and why KIDD only recommends the kit be used with the polymer groups.

The only way to know if the KIDD TJK will function with your aluminum housing is to give it a try. I've read many many people over at RFC claim they've installed numerous TJKs in aluminum housings with zero problems. It SEEMS to be much more common for the TJK to work in aluminum housings than not but don't hold me to that. I also remember reading people doing a relatively simple bit of gunsmithing and getting the TJK to work perfectly after....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just swap some one. There are plenty of guys who think the cast aluminum trigger housing is better since its metal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Tony Kidd is a class act as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#26]
This page is mine...

Kidd, then all others.

I have Kidd trigger in my build box for my next build I'm gathering parts for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This page is mine...

Kidd, then all others.

View Quote

>ignore the de-rail< what receiver are you going to run?>ignore the de-rail<
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I have Volquartsen, Jard, Power Custom and Kidd triggers.

Skip a few lunches until you can afford the Kidd 2-stage. You'll be glad you did. Nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I just put together a rifle using the Kidd two stage unit. The entire unit from them.

WOW.

I think it might be the best 2 stage trigger ever. Like better than my Accuracy International trigger kinda good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This page is mine...

Kidd, then all others.

My FFL called and said the receiver came in Saturday morning, and the stamp for the Mist barrel came in at the same time. I
I was at his shop so fast that the phone's ringer was still ringing in my ears.

PWS T3 Summit receiver, Gemtech Mist barrel, Kidd single stage trigger @3#, and a FDE Titan stock.

Now I just need the time to assemble it. Damn leaves are already falling, and I'm nolonger married, so the lawn comes first.
Need them leaves up before it rains. Not like last year.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My FFL called and said the receiver came in Saturday morning, and the stamp for the Mist barrel came in at the same time. I

PWS T3 Summit receiver, Gemtech Mist barrel, Kidd single stage trigger @3#, and a FDE Titan stock.

Now I just need the time to assemble it. Damn leaves are already falling, and I'm nolonger married, so the lawn comes first.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This page is mine...

Kidd, then all others.

Post it up when you get it put together!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just swap some one. There are plenty of guys who think the cast aluminum trigger housing is better since its metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know that I'd say the aluminum TG's are necessarily better from a function POV but I prefer them just because they don't seem as cheap as the plastic housings. I can give you my personal experience...

I bought 2 of the Kidd drop in units when they were on sale. I put one in a factory aluminum TG and one in a factory plastic TG. The one I put in the aluminum TG turned out slightly lighter and felt better. I then took the other one out of the plastic TG and put it into a different factory TG and again, it was a tad lighter and felt better. Now I know this is a very small sample size with a lot of unexplored variables but in my limited experience, the Kidd drop trigger works fine in a factory aluminum housing. I'm sure Tony has valid reasons for recommending the plastic unit instead but if you want to keep/use your aluminum housings, the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Quoted:

Sounds like a sweet build. I hope you post some pics and let us know how it shoots? Curious how accurate the Mist is and what ammo it likes?

Quoted:
Now I just need the time to assemble it. Damn leaves are already falling, and I'm no longer married, so the lawn comes first.

You do divorce all wrong! Its when you are married that boring chores come first. Being divorced means you get to do the fun stuff first and boring chores when you get a round to it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top