Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2015 2:02:21 PM EDT
I want a bolt action 22 and have narrowed it down to these two. Which one should I fo one and why

The Savage is much cheaper Just realized the one I want, fv-sr, is the same price as the American so I am leaning towards the Mark II... Is the american worth the extra 100 bucks

I would prefer a gun with a bull barrel

What model would you use ?

Thanks in advanced guys
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
FVSR and without any hesitation. There are 5 between me and my friends and no regrets. Very accurate, reliable, and the accutrigger is acceptable.

You will need to get a stock pack so you can have the right height for a scoped rifle, unless you are replacing the stock. The stock pack I use has zippered compartment for storing extra mags as well. Depending on the height of your mount you may need extra shims. The stock really is the worst part of the rifle because the drop on it is for iron sights, which clearly this rifle does not have.

This is the one I use.

Triad Stock Pack

Cons
If you must have a butter smooth bolt you will not like the Savage. It feeds every time so it does not bother me.

If you like to sling it and move around a lot in it the mag will drive you crazy cutting up your back and side. It seems every edge is sharp or pointed. I have taken a dremel to some and rigged up a neoprene sleeve as well. I rarely have mine on a sling so it was not a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have the Savage FVSR. I now have a Ruger American Rimfire. I like the Ruger better. Fit and finish on the Ruger is better and the mag design is leaps and bounds ahead of the Savage. The Savage edges out the Ruger in the trigger department and MAY be a little more accurate, but I haven't shot the Ruger as much yet. The factory Ruger polymer stock is WAAAY better than the factory Savage polymer stock but you can get a Boyd's (great South Dakota company) for either.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to shoot paper or some such then the Savage as it's a tad more accurate.

If you want to hunt or just be out and about with a moderated .22 rifle then the Ruger win hands-down.

The Savage has a mag and mag release that pokes at you in the field and holds fewer rounds. Savage mags are also much more prone to feed lip damage.

I squirrel hunted with the Savage for a season then sold the Savage after a season of squirrel hunting with the Ruger. It was not even a contest.

I only wish the Ruger would have been available for a host before the Savage.

I bought the RAR carbine and had it threaded/recrowned. I bought before the threaded version was available.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the following Savage rifles- two of the standard MK II's, two FVSR's and a Mk II BTVS. I also have a pair of the Ruger All Americans. The Savages shoot a little better but the Ruger is a much friendlier rifle to shoot...the Ruger magazines are superior and the general feel of the rifle is much better, the Savages feel cheap and clunky by comparison. I prefer the Rugers over the Savages.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had both, and while the Savage is a nice rifle, the Ruger is a better buy. Most bought the Savage as a host because it was cheap, and there was almost nothing else available at the time. Now that Ruger has a threaded bolt gun, it's a simple choice. The Ruger is more refined, it's still inexpensive, and the magazine alone makes it a no brainer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Went with ruger

thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Faced with the same choice, I bought the Savage, and was not disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want a bolt action 22 and have narrowed it down to these two. Which one should I fo one and why

The Savage is much cheaper Just realized the one I want, fv-sr, is the same price as the American so I am leaning towards the Mark II... Is the american worth the extra 100 bucks

Thanks in advanced guys
View Quote

Here are a couple of videos I did looking at the differences. They are both excellent choices, but very different guns. I try to show the differences and similarities. Hope this helps you decide which one is right for you.
mbell556

https://youtu.be/kLNC2TVFMxk

https://youtu.be/VsascbSRK20
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought one of each.  The Savage was much cheaper, considering the threaded muzzle.  Don't care for the magazine, though.

Lgs had a sale on the Mark II for $224 yesterday, while it cost me $100 for the gunsmith to thread my RAR ($300 or so).
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought one of each.  The Savage was much cheaper, considering the threaded muzzle.  Don't care for the magazine, though.

Lgs had a sale on the Mark II for $224 yesterday, while it cost me $100 for the gunsmith to thread my RAR ($300 or so).
View Quote

I got my RAR 8334, has a better bolt knob,threaded and, slightly thicker barrel for 270… so I think I did well

But it definitely was a challenge to track down
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here are a couple of videos I did looking at the differences. They are both excellent choices, but very different guns. I try to show the differences and similarities. Hope this helps you decide which one is right for you.
mbell556

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advanced guys

mbell556

Thanks mbell,

You videos are great, after watching them I chose the ruger for the stock and magazine
The acuracy seemed very similar with the savage having a slight edge… close enough for me as this is my first bolt gun

I'll eventually fall into the arfcom trap of "get both" and pick up a savage next year
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#12]
OP you misspelled CZ 452.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP you misspelled CZ 452.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I went with the RAR Sports South Exclusive (model 8334) also.. Decent trigger, comes with a threaded barrel and I have a ton of 10/22 mags already.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
DT....
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can one of you confirm the threads on the RAR 8305/8306/8334 models are .400" long? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find it, and figured those that had them in hand could verify.

Thanks.
View Quote

It should be .4 as ruger changed all there threads for 22 to .4 a year or so ago

There is a guy in this thread that said his RAR is .4

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-552951.html

Maybe someone can verify
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I really don't see any contest here.  Other than MAYBE a slight accuracy edge to the Savage I'd go Ruger.  No need to change the stock.  I can't believe Savage sells these with those stocks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can one of you confirm the threads on the RAR 8305/8306/8334 models are .400" long? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find it, and figured those that had them in hand could verify.

Thanks.
View Quote

Confirmed - mine is .4" long, unlike my slightly older 10/22 TD that has the .6" threads.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Does Ruger make the American with a 16" threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately

No
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmm now that they make the Ruger with a threaded barrel I might end up buying that instead of a FV-SR.  How good/bad are the stock sights on the Ruger?  It's been 10 years since I shot a 10/22 and I don't remember much about it other than I didn't really care for it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hmm now that they make the Ruger with a threaded barrel I might end up buying that instead of a FV-SR.  How good/bad are the stock sights on the Ruger?  It's been 10 years since I shot a 10/22 and I don't remember much about it other than I didn't really care for it.
View Quote

The Williams fiber optic front sight is pretty good.  A little big but definitely usable.  I prefer it over the stock front sight on the 10/22.

The rear sight is the same as on the 10/22, but is adjustable for windage and elevation supposedly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought the savage a while back in anticipation of running suppressed down the road. All this time it sits in the closet and then the Ruger comes out. I will be selling it and getting a ruger. My main reason is the mags but the overall feel and specifically the stock feel better to me on the ruger.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can come pretty close price wise if you buy a unthreaded gun and have it threaded. It is tempting for sure but my cheap ass will probably just buy the 18"
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You can come pretty close price wise if you buy a unthreaded gun and have it threaded. It is tempting for sure but my cheap ass will probably just buy the 18"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know...  I just want to buy a gun ready to use for once.  I customize just about every gun I own, a lot of them even before I fire a round.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#27]
That's ok I customize them and then Don't shoot them....
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#28]
First world problems...
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The threaded Ruger barrel is 18" but I was surprised that the velocities were slower in the longer barrel of the Ruger compared to the Savage. So if that is the concern it is not a problem. I does make it slightly less compact.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The threaded Ruger barrel is 18" but I was surprised that the velocities were slower in the longer barrel of the Ruger compared to the Savage. So if that is the concern it is not a problem. I does make it slightly less compact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah most 22 maxes out right in that 14-18" range. I just wanted 16" because it is more compact.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah most 22 maxes out right in that 14-18" range. I just wanted 16" because it is more compact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too...
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Can the ruger be cut/threaded to 16" and still use the iron sights if the sights are relocated?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sure any good gunsmith can do this for you but is it worth the $150-$200 to have this done on a $300 rifle? Keep the Ruger and use the extra $$$ to buy the Savage too!

Quoted:
Can the ruger be cut/threaded to 16" and still use the iron sights if the sights are relocated?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Unfortunately

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately

No

But TBA does (and others).  Integrally-suppressed...

On the 77/22:

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately
No

But TBA does (and others).  Integrally-suppressed...

http://www.tbasuppressors.com/assets/images/blog/ruger22suppressor.png

On the 77/22:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLzm38vuOQ

That's pretty nifty. I never thought I'd want a integral but a dedicated gun is making more and more sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been looking at the GemTec Mistic...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one in jail right now. I's going to be installed on a PWS T3 Summit receiver / trigger package that is  on order.
The T3 has a backlog of about 2-3 months right now.
I shot a Mist on my SOT's personal 10-22. Extremely quite. Action noise is louder that the shot.

Back on topic
But I have a Savage MKII with factory laminated stock. Great trigger. I've had this around 4 or 5 years now.
Back when I bought this, they didn't have factory threaded barrels. (Or I didn't know if they did)
I had JP Grips in Pelican Rapids , Minnesota thread it for suppressor use.
This rifle is a tack driver at 50yds or less. Normal ranges I use it at around the house for vermin control.
I know nothing about the RAR, but Ruger's magazine is a better choice over my Savage's.

Picture of Savage to follow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Savage MKII Suppressed on Flickr[/URL]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Waiting on the damned government to let me have mine...

Actually shouldn't be too much longer, inshallah.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

mbell556

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advanced guys

mbell556

mbell,

I like your videos. Very informative and well done. I have had the Savage FV-SR for a couple of years and I am very happy with it. I do like the fluted barrel, the scope rail and the bolt handle. After watching your videos, showing the features of the Ruger, I like the stock and the 10/22 style magazine. I have a couple of 10/22's, so I already have a bunch of mags for them and I do like that I could use the same mags for the Ruger American.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top