Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2015 11:34:00 PM EDT
Just picked this rifle up today, threw some Nikon glass on it that I had sitting around and went to the range to zero.  I was using Remington golden bullets and had about 2 jams for every 10 shots.   Is this an ammo issue? Do the Rigers require some 'break in' time? I was pretty disappointed to be honest.  

Here's the shooter:

Also, Im thinking about buying a Titan stock and debating a new trigger group.   What recommendations do you guys have for upgrades on an outta the box Ruger?

Thx in advance guys.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've found this particular ammo to be "sticky" in my 10/22. I'd clean out the chamber and try another ammo, worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Ditto what seej said about the ammo.

Do the auto bolt-release mod:

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
VQ extractor is a standard replacement on all 10-22 and Mark pistols before the first round goes down the pipe at my house.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VQ extractor is a standard replacement on all 10-22 and Mark pistols before the first round goes down the pipe at my house.
View Quote

looks like a fairly inexpensive upgrade and relatively easy to install.  thanks for the heads up on that.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly! I was blaming ammo and mags for my issues. Couldn't run 10 rnds without load/eject problem. Best $15 I ever spent on a rifle. Never have any sort of feed/fire issues now regardless of ammo or mag used.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered the VQ tune up kit that includes the exact edge extractor and surestrike firing pin.

also ordered an extended mag release from them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just ordered the VQ tune up kit that includes the exact edge extractor and surestrike firing pin.

View Quote

All of my 10/22's have at least 1 Volquartsen part in them.  Just their hammer will drop your trigger pull to about 2.5 lbs.  

The recoil buffer will soften the feel and reduce action noise.

Hex-head take-down screws look better.

Their mag-release is my favorite too.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All of my 10/22's have at least 1 Volquartsen part in them.  Just their hammer will drop your trigger pull to about 2.5 lbs.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info Par as I'm brand new to the 10/22 world.

what are your recommendations on barrels?  I'm looking at either a KIDD or a Tactical solutions but they are fairly expensive.  are there similar options out there that offer a quality threaded bull barrel for less cost?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

what are your recommendations on barrels?  I'm looking at either a KIDD or a Tactical solutions but they are fairly expensive.  are there similar options out there that offer a quality threaded bull barrel for less cost?

View Quote

KIDD is top-shelf stuff and hard to beat, at least for quality and accuracy.  I have at least 3, maybe 4, Tactical Solutions barrels as well but accuracy was not the primary motivation for getting those (weight, appearance).

You might also consider Green Mountain or Clark barrels, if top accuracy is a goal.  Another option, if you want to keep it looking stock, is to have someone like CPC rework your existing barrel.  

Read through the barrel forum at rimfirecentral for a great deal more info.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would suggest that while you are contemplating/saving-for additional purchases, you might consider adding some sling studs and 1-1/4" sling swivels to the stock of your 10-22, as well as a simple sling, along the lines of the fabric GI-issue unit.  With a shooting sling, properly adjusted, you ought to be able to cut group size a good deal compared to shooting without the aid of a sling.  This is a trivial expense, easily done by most folks, and gives benefits far outweighing the cost and effort involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suggest that while you are contemplating/saving-for additional purchases, you might consider adding some sling studs and 1-1/4" sling swivels to the stock of your 10-22, as well as a simple sling, along the lines of the fabric GI-issue unit.  With a shooting sling, properly adjusted, you ought to be able to cut group size a good deal compared to shooting without the aid of a sling.  This is a trivial expense, easily done by most folks, and gives benefits far outweighing the cost and effort involved.

That would make a great deal of sense but I'm going to buy a Titan stock very soon which comes prepped for slings...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

KIDD is top-shelf stuff and hard to beat, at least for quality and accuracy.  I have at least 3, maybe 4, Tactical Solutions barrels as well but accuracy was not the primary motivation for getting those (weight, appearance).

You might also consider Green Mountain or Clark barrels, if top accuracy is a goal.  Another option, if you want to keep it looking stock, is to have someone like CPC rework your existing barrel.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great info here.  Thx again Parshooter
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While some trigger group parts substitutions are desirable, I would first urge you to find an obtainable, and affordable type of ammo which your rifle likes.  With that in hand--buy plenty once you have found it-- then shoot the thing to ensure that it functions properly.  If, for some unlikely reason you feel it necessary to send the thing back to Ruger, be advised that they take a dim view of aftermarket mods done by the user.  So, shoot the thing first, while deciding on good ammo, and make sure it works properly.  If you must send it back, consider obtaining some spare parts that must be fitted by Ruger at the same time.

If all is well , then see this thread for additional comments;http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/222026_10_22_AS_A_COST_SAVING_AND_AMMO_SAVING_TRAINING_RIFLE.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While some trigger group parts substitutions are desirable, I would first urge you to find an obtainable, and affordable type of ammo which your rifle likes.  With that in hand--buy plenty once you have found it-- then shoot the thing to ensure that it functions properly.  If, for some unlikely reason you feel it necessary to send the thing back to Ruger, be advised that they take a dim view of aftermarket mods done by the user.  So, shoot the thing first, while deciding on good ammo, and make sure it works properly.  If you must send it back, consider obtaining some spare parts that must be fitted by Ruger at the same time.

If all is well , then see this thread for additional comments;http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/222026_10_22_AS_A_COST_SAVING_AND_AMMO_SAVING_TRAINING_RIFLE.html

Hmm... That's a great point you make there.   I have a large variety of ammo that I'll probably put through it before I start doing modifications as you mentioned.  

problem is that I have stock piled the golden bullet the most so I'll check other ammo and run it through the gun and then probably install the mods n hopefully that fixes the feeding problems / jams that I was seeing with the goldens.  I really hope it doesnt come to the point of actually sending the rifle in to Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
right on, thanks for the help Raf
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]
All of my 10 22s have Brimstone trigger jobs on them(google Brimstone Gunsmith) in Washington State. For $40 he will lighten up trigger, and do the auto bolt release mod.  This is for his Tier 3 work, he has two higher end mods for more $. Read about them at his website.  Might also frequent the Ruger forums, lots of 1022 info.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I shouldn't be surprised, because it happens almost every time, but I am amazed at the fact that everyone except Raf has recommended that you go out and buy something. And most of those recommended parts have nothing to do with solving your problem.

You didn't say what kind of jams you were having. In order to properly diagnose the problem, we have to know the nature of the malfunction.

Are the rounds getting stuck part-way into the chamber rather than feeding smoothly all the way in? If so, this often happens with that brand of ammo. The bullets are too loose a fit in the case and the cartridge bends as it feeds.

Are you getting "stovepipe" failures to eject, where the spent case is stuck in the receiver with the next round below it? That is often due to a poor quality OEM extractor and buying the upgraded part might fix it. But they are also caused by too slow or incomplete bolt movement. A thorough cleaning is the first step - in fact, for safety reasons, you should have done that before firing it the first time. If the extractor and cleaning don't solve it, we can help if you supply more details of how exactly it is jamming.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#18]
NEVER judge function of a gun ( especially a 22) based on one type or brand of ammo especially Remington which is well known to be the crappiest bulk pack low quality control garbage on the planet.
I have had gun most people would give up on until eureka I found what they liked.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I shouldn't be surprised, because it happens almost every time, but I am amazed at the fact that everyone except Raf has recommended that you go out and buy something. And most of those recommended parts have nothing to do with solving your problem.

You didn't say what kind of jams you were having. In order to properly diagnose the problem, we have to know the nature of the malfunction.

Are the rounds getting stuck part-way into the chamber rather than feeding smoothly all the way in? If so, this often happens with that brand of ammo. The bullets are too loose a fit in the case and the cartridge bends as it feeds.  I WOULD FEED A ROUND INTO THE CHAMBER AND THE BOLT WOULD CLOSE PROPERLY BUT MISFIRE SOMETIMES.  I WOULD THEN OPEN THE CHAMBER TO EJECT THE BULLET AFTER I REMOVED THE MAGAZINE.  EVERYTIME (on a misfire) THE CASING WAS SLIGHTLY BENT OR THE ACTUAL HEAD OF THE BULLET WAS SITTING CROOKED IN THE CASING.

Are you getting "stovepipe" failures to eject, where the spent case is stuck in the receiver with the next round below it? That is often due to a poor quality OEM extractor and buying the upgraded part might fix it. But they are also caused by too slow or incomplete bolt movement. A thorough cleaning is the first step - in fact, for safety reasons, you should have done that before firing it the first time. If the extractor and cleaning don't solve it, we can help if you supply more details of how exactly it is jamming.  YES, SOMETIMES THE CASING WOULD ALSO FAIL TO FULLY EJECT, HOLDING THE BOLT OPEN AS THE CASING WAS WEDGED IN THE CHAMBER.
View Quote

SEE ABOVE IN CAPS / BOLD

Also, I took the gun apart yesterday... removed the trigger housing, bolt, charging handle etc. and properly lubed and cleaned.  I have not had a chance to get back to the range yet but i will this weekend.  i'll bring multiple types of LR this time to see if i can find something it likes.

thanks for the information Bob.  Im going to hold off any judgement until I explore different types of ammo and shoot it after I cleaned / lubed the gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, I see that you cleaned and lubed the gun, and will try other kinds of ammo, but +1 to what raf and Bob said.

Any time you buy a new-to-you gun, it should be cleaned and lubed before shooting it. Many guns come from the factory coated in a preservative which is a not a good lube.

Also, .22s are notoriously finicky as to what ammo they will shoot accurately, and in the case of semi autos, sometime what ammo they will function properly with. For example, I have a 10/22 that is generally very reliable, but if I load it with Winchester Xperts it gags. (XPerts are the nastiest, dirtiest, gummiest .22s I've shot. They gummed up a couple of my revolvers.)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, I see that you cleaned and lubed the gun, and will try other kinds of ammo, but +1 to what raf and Bob said.

Any time you buy a new-to-you gun, it should be cleaned and lubed before shooting it. Many guns come from the factory coated in a preservative which is a not a good lube.

Also, .22s are notoriously finicky as to what ammo they will shoot accurately, and in the case of semi autos, sometime what ammo they will function properly with. For example, I have a 10/22 that is generally very reliable, but if I load it with Winchester Xperts it gags. (XPerts are the nastiest, dirtiest, gummiest .22s I've shot. They gummed up a couple of my revolvers.)
View Quote

For sure man.  I have a few 22's but they are old.   This was my first .22 outta the box so I've learned a lesson here.  Just didn't cross my mind to clean / lube before I took it out cause my AR's were gtg outta the box as well as several hunting rifles.  Appreciate all help in this thread from you guys
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#22]
As far as the jamming I think I found the problem

Quoted:
I was using Remington golden bullets
View Quote

RGB's are some of the worst ammo you could possibly use.  Try some other ammo.

As far as upgrades, the others above have given some solid info and suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For sure man.  I have a few 22's but they are old.   This was my first .22 outta the box so I've learned a lesson here.  Just didn't cross my mind to clean / lube before I took it out cause my AR's were gtg outta the box as well as several hunting rifles.  Appreciate all help in this thread from you guys
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always clean and lube a new gun.  They get slathered in grease at the factory so they don't rust if they sit unsold in a warehouse for years.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#25]
VQ parts came in today... Gonna install tonight n hopefully get on the range after work tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just picked this rifle up today, threw some Nikon glass on it that I had sitting around and went to the range to zero.  I was using Remington golden bullets and had about 2 jams for every 10 shots.   Is this an ammo issue? Do the Rigers require some 'break in' time? I was pretty disappointed to be honest.  

Here's the shooter:

https://i.imgur.com/4LJTaJv.jpg

Also, Im thinking about buying a Titan stock and debating a new trigger group.   What recommendations do you guys have for upgrades on an outta the box Ruger?

Thx in advance guys.
View Quote

Most likely, it's not a "full house" load, and your 10/22 is not cycling the bolt as positively as is needed for proper ejection.  One of the more common problems with 10/22s, a lot of people "fix" the problem by using Mini-Mags or other heavier loads.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exactly! I was blaming ammo and mags for my issues. Couldn't run 10 rnds without load/eject problem. Best $15 I ever spent on a rifle. Never have any sort of feed/fire issues now regardless of ammo or mag used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a pretty similar experience.  I opted for the VQ extractor due to the same problem and fix being posted on every forum I visited.  I chose to do that instead of sending the rifle back to Ruger since I was pretty certain that it would fix it with less hassle.  It did.  I finally had my BX-25 empty with no hang-ups.  

Thanks to everyone who recommended the VQ extractor.  I don't want throw my 10/22 in the garbage can anymore.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had a pretty similar experience.  I opted for the VQ extractor due to the same problem and fix being posted on every forum I visited.  I chose to do that instead of sending the rifle back to Ruger since I was pretty certain that it would fix it with less hassle.  It did.  I finally had my BX-25 empty with no hang-ups.  

Thanks to everyone who recommended the VQ extractor.  I don't want throw my 10/22 in the garbage can anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Put 100 rds down range today w zero hang ups.  Best 15 bucks I've spent gun related.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top