Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 1:44:12 AM EDT
I had a Savage MKII FVSR for a long while.  I wanted to get the new style bolt handle (tactical-looking, but a practical concern as the old bolt handle was basically a pea on a stick) so I purchased a new Savage MKII FVSR.  Well, the new one groups about 2" at 25 years with CCI Quiet HP.  The old MKII did less than half that.  Both were shot in the same manner: fully rested, 6x on the 3x9, same distance, same silencer, same shooting bench.

Should I try a different ammo?  That is easier said than done these days.
Clean it and shoot more?  I've only got maybe 50 rds through it so far.
Change torque on action/stock screws?

Not sure what to do here.  Of course I can just switch back, but then what do I do with the new rifle that shoots poorly?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that all you've run through it since new?  If so, I'd run some HV ammo and then try again with the quiets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
have you tried shooting it unsuppressed?

might be that the threads arent concentric to the bore and your bullets are grazing the baffles or endcap
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the crown.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That is correct, I've only shot the 710fps "Quiet" ammo.

I will try it without the suppressor next.

Crown appears fine.  Nothing unusual.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It actually might just hate that ammo. Check the crown and shoot it unsuppressed. Maybe put some CCI SV or Wolf MT through it and see how it does.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely check the action screw torque and try some different ammo.  but, honestly be prepared to sell the rifle and gamble on another.  In my experience, 22lr rifles tend to be a crapshoot for accuracy.  Sometimes you get a lemon.  I sold a gorgeous CZ 452 FS due to accuracy problems.

FWIW, My FVSR does frequent 1/2" 5-shot groups at 50y with its favorite ammo, and easily 0.75" with a handful of types of quality standard velocity ammo.  (Boyds stock)
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Swap bolts?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoot unsuppressed, rule out threading issues first...then try standard vel ammo.

v.r

Shaun
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Most .22LR's are fickle little bitches when it comes to ammo.  I have two identical CZ452's.  One loves CCI SV, the other loves CCI MiniMags.  Find what it likes and buy a bunch of that, or swap bolts as previously mentioned and sell the non-shooter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is correct, I've only shot the 710fps "Quiet" ammo.

I will try it without the suppressor next.

Crown appears fine.  Nothing unusual.
View Quote

I shoot those.  Unless the barrel is real short, no need for suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Look down the barrel, they had a bad batch of barrels.  If yours is one of them then it would be easy to see.

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#12]
The 710 fps CCI stuff doesn't shoot worth a damn in my FVSR. It runs most standard subsonics like a champ, the ~1080 fps stuff. Remingtons, Aguila, CCI, others. The ammo is the biggest downfall for a precision .22. You need to get 4-5 different kinds of ammo, see what yours likes best. I'd look for the subsonic stuff if I were you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top