Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2015 5:52:45 PM EDT
I have never had much luck with the search function on this site. Saying that I am asking a question that has probably been beat to death. I bought my wife a 10/22 Carbine for Christmas. I also got her a 3 pack of 10 round magazines. These all work fine in the rifle. I then bought her 2 BX 25 round mags, and 1 Butler Creek 25 round, steel lipped mag. We went to the range and ALL mags worked fine. Went to range today,( guns 3 trip to range) and NONE of the 25 rounders would work. They would fire 1 round, then the bolt would stick open. Not by the bolt hold open, but by the left side of the magazine. Any ideas? I am new to 10/22s, but not to shooting (52 years) I am stumped as to what to do about this problem. Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks much,
Mark
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Take them apart and clean them

Have you e-mailed ruger?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you take the action out of the stock at all?

It sounds like the side of the magazine is tight against the side of the stock. I would see if that is where the drag is and if that could be holding the mag to one side.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't even think of cleaning them after only 25 rounds had been run through them, but I will. I have not contacted Ruger yet, but was going to call them tomorrow. We are talking about a gun that was NIB in December, and has only been to the range 3 times. For this reason, I was leery of tearing the gun or the mags down. But I will clean both the gun and the mags, unless Ruger wants them all sent back. Thanks for your help. We'll see what Ruger says.

Thank You,
Mark
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you leaning the magazines on something while shooting?  It sounds like you are side-loading them somehow, especially with it only happening with the 25 round magazines.  The only time I have had a similar problem was with one of Ruger Amercian Rimfires.  But that is a completely different platform, and I fixed it up by knocking a sharp edge off of the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I found the problem. The whole action is lose as a goose. I tightened the hold down screw, as It was lose too. Still wobbles like crazy. The I letting is very poor. My used 10/22 that I bought last Saturday is a whole lot tighter and far better inletted. Back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have too load 24 in the mag for it to work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got the 50 rd version of these.  Are they any good?  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have five or six of the BX-25's and they have always ran great, without any cleaning.

Before they came out I had some random mis-feeds with Butler Creek mags but the BX25s run great.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I had several and got rid of them. BX25x2 is heavy as hell and the others really mess with my aim when target shooting. I now have about 15 BX-1 10 rnd mags... While I did have them I was experiencing all sorts of stove pipes, FTE, load problems and was generally sure the mags were bad. Turns out someone told me to replace the extractor with a Volquartsen Exact Edge for about $10. That extractor fixed every single issue I was having. Now my rifle shoots all ammo through any mag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had several and got rid of them. BX25x2 is heavy as hell and the others really mess with my aim when target shooting. I now have about 15 BX-1 10 rnd mags... While I did have them I was experiencing all sorts of stove pipes, FTE, load problems and was generally sure the mags were bad. Turns out someone told me to replace the extractor with a Volquartsen Exact Edge for about $10. That extractor fixed every single issue I was having. Now my rifle shoots all ammo through any mag.
View Quote

I did the exact same upgrade and my Ruger runs smooth as silk now.  Best 10 bucks I've spent on my guns I think.  Before I installed it I was jamming every 2-3 shots.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have five or six of the BX-25's and they have always ran great, without any cleaning.

Before they came out I had some random mis-feeds with Butler Creek mags but the BX25s run great.
View Quote

Same here....never a problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I own a dozen of the BX-25 magazines.  Had them for over two years now.  Thousands of rounds through them.  No problems running them in my Tactical Target and Take Down rifles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Son has some and so do I...we just picked up 4  bx25x2 . No problems here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top