Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 6:52:53 PM EDT
I picked-up this very nice 1989 Deluxe 10-22 today for $140.00. Checkered walnut stock with factory swivels, metal trigger group. The trigger on this one was just fine.

I put a 4X Lyman All-American scope in Millett rings on it.

I've always had a soft spot for the Deluxe model, it just seems to me to be the perfect 10-22 and the stock does not look/feel like a crutch for a imp.

I think they still produce a Deluxe but the stocks are either checkered hardwood or un-checkered laminate. I guess the walnut went away with the metal trigger guard.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
WANT
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey that's my rifle!  My wife gave me a deluxe model in about 1979 or 1980.  It now sports a Green Mountain fluted stainless barrel and a Leupold scope along with trigger mods.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice pickup, great riffle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Beauty right there but the scope looks like it has horrid eye relief.... Looks like it's sitting way too far back.  Personal preference n all...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice gun and super price! You stole that thing!

I think my son may have one of the last true deluxe models? On his 13th birthday back in 2007, I took him to buy his first rifle. I wanted to wait until he was old enough to pick it out himself (and not get something stupid). We were looking for a 10/22 but I was thinking "base model" so we could customize the way he wanted. Thing is, my son has very old school tastes in guns (blue steel and walnut) and when he saw the deluxe model on the shelf, he was in love. Checkered Walnut, all metal and one of the small things they changed towards the end that I really like is, instead of factory installed sling loops, his came with QD studs which I strongly prefer.

It wasn't long after that Ruger switched to the polymer trigger guards

At first we just did a few minor things (auto bolt release, bolt buffer) and mounted a Weaver RV-9 on it and shot it as is. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Since then we have upgraded the barrel (GM 20" tapered sporter), the scope (Leupold CDS EFR) and I just ordered a Kidd drop in trigger for it. Should be a pretty sweet shooter once we are done with it
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I got to agree with you on the deluxe.

One of the reasons I traded my only 10/22 (early stainless/wood version) was the lack of a decent butt pad.  I hated that plastic with it's smooth surface sliding off my jacket.  

If it had that stock I'd have upgraded the trigger and kept it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Double clutch.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beauty right there but the scope looks like it has horrid eye relief.... Looks like it's sitting way too far back.  Personal preference n all...
View Quote

After some consideration I concluded you are correct. The old Lyman's eye-relief is a bit "different".

I found a 4 X 32 Japanese-made Nikko Sterling scope in my Box-O-Scopes that used to be on a Brit .22. They were very popular in Britain and Australia. Very clear all the way to the edges.  

I think they are made in China now.

Anywho I put it in a set of low Weaver rings and it ended-up being a much better set-up.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nice gun and super price! You stole that thing!

View Quote

Yep, and it's better than new.  Congrats OP.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Very classy looking 10/22! Nice find...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

After some consideration I concluded you are correct. The old Lyman's eye-relief is a bit "different".

I found a 4 X 32 Japanese-made Nikko Sterling scope in my Box-O-Scopes that used to be on a Brit .22. They were very popular in Britain and Australia. Very clear all the way to the edges.  

Anywho I put it in a set of low Weaver rings and it ended-up being a much better set-up.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/4qsh7p.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/4qsh7p.jpg

Right on.  Looks great!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice rifle at a great price. I am jealous!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice rifle, OP.  I tried to sell the new Takedown model the other night, but was unable to reach the customer's arm to twist.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think they still produce a Deluxe but the stocks are either checkered hardwood or un-checkered laminate. I guess the walnut went away with the metal trigger guard.

View Quote

The new production DSP still has a checkered walnut stock.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

I love my 1988 carbine. Only mods are Tech Sights, bolt buffer, auto bolt release, and sling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, looks like they are running $350.00 or so shipped. Some have them a bit cheaper but are out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Damn, looks like they are running $350.00 or so shipped. Some have them a bit cheaper but are out of stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you got yours for a crazy low price.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've always had the carbine models. (usually put into an different stock after a while)

But after getting my first Deluxe model it became readily apparent that the stock is vastly better in every way to the carbine version.
View Quote

It dispels the front band myth too. All the Deluxe models I've had shot very well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]

That rifle is perfect.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice find.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, very nice rifle at a very nice price. The Deluxe models are much better looking than the barrel band carbines.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Great find and a good price OP.
I found this 1967 at a pawn shop for $160.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Great price!!! Lucky dog.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I found a picture of my rifle. Sorry about the I potato picture.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top