Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2015 1:04:10 AM EDT
So... I just put an X ring on layaway because I didn't have all the cash and it seemed like a really good deal. But now that I look at their website I noticed the receiver on the one I bought looks completely different.
most of them that I've found look like this

The one Im buying looks like this

does anyone know what the difference is?

*UPDATE* I didn't want to start a new thread since it's pertaining to the same rifle, but now I may have a problem... I just picked this rifle up tonight, and while inspecting it, I noticed the chamber looks pretty ridiculous for a "new" firearm. Could this happen from just cycling it with an empty chamber? Does this look like a problem?? (I obviously have no need to explain what I'm talking about once you see the pic)

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking around, it seems that we are just setting product evolution. I can't find too many specific citations about when generations change, and what changes with them. It looks like it may be aesthetics, or changes for efficiency in manufacturing, primarily.

The best I can glean from cursory investigation is that the top pic would be the 'first gen', and the lower pic being 'second gen'. There's a 'third gen' apparently, new for 2015, that looks like the lower pic, but has an iron sights witness channel milled down the center of the rail.

Their website shows pics of all of the generations I've identified here, so it's confusing as to what you'd actually receive if you ordered one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I suppose I should just call TS tomorrow and ask them what the deal is. I got the rifle brand new for $750 so I don't think I went wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the purchase choice. The X-Ring receiver is a bit wider than the standard 10/22 receiver. You will love the rifle. It's a tack driver right out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! Just picked it up today. It looks like the jack asses at sportsmans warehouse let it drop on an empty chamber about 100 times as there is chipping on the chamber (kinda hard to explain without a picture), but I suppose that would have happened after firing it a few times anyway. I'm not sure if this is normal wear so updated the post.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For a Tac-Sol barrel with the Aluminum breach, it is common to wear and even peen. This is a documented problem with Tac-Sol and can even mushroom the breach and cause it to get stuck in the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a Tac-Sol barrel with the Aluminum breach, it is common to wear and even peen. This is a documented problem with Tac-Sol and can even mushroom the breach and cause it to get stuck in the receiver.
View Quote

Looked at another way, the barrel becomes more securely mounted with each pull of the trigger!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used a Xring 10/22 receiver for about 2 years with a Tac Sol Barrel. The only issues I have is the OEM Ruger BX-25 magazines don't seem to feed as well as the OEM 10rnd magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top