Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2015 5:37:23 PM EDT
Does it have any negative effect on bore or rifling?

I am thinking about getting a couple of boxes and shooting some big wood boring bees. Kind of like mini clay pigeons with a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does it have any negative effect on bore or rifling?

I am thinking about getting a couple of boxes and shooting some big wood boring bees. Kind of like mini clay pigeons with a pistol.
View Quote

No, but shooting birdshot through a rifled bore can create a "doughnut" pattern, where the center is hollow.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Does someone make smooth bore 22 barrels?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Last one I know of was Savage.  They sold a Mark I smoothbore.  They stopped making them I think - Buds was closing them out at $200 a couple of years ago and I snagged one.  Not sure if anyone catalogs them currently.

ETA: I seriously considered contacting Redman and having them sell me some barrel liners before they rifled them, but then I bought the savage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for a remington 121 or 572 with a routledge or choke bore.  It is a smoothbore that has the the last 12 inches opened up to the diameter of close to a .410 shot gun.  Gunbroker has them from time to time, not cheap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used a good bit of the CCI and some Winchester. Works pretty damn good on carpenter bees. I did get some lead build up in the barrel that took some work to get rid of but no permanent damage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, I believe that marlin used to make a bolt action smooth bore. Called it a garden gun I think.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, I believe that marlin used to make a bolt action smooth bore. Called it a garden gun I think.
View Quote

They did, but it was .22 WMR.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look for a remington 121 or 572 with a routledge or choke bore.  It is a smoothbore that has the the last 12 inches opened up to the diameter of close to a .410 shot gun.  Gunbroker has them from time to time, not cheap.
View Quote

Actually the Routledge bore is the opposite of a choke. :)  More like an old blunderbuss.

And yes, ridiculously expensive.  Only way to get an old smoothbore cheap is to look for "Single Shot .22, barrel shot out, missing rear sight." (older ones only had a bead front like a shotgun.)

Remington was the only one that did Routledge bores, and the original purpose was for the "Mos-Skeet-O" indoor shooting games. They changed back to straight smoothbores for the 580 series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top