Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2015 1:54:16 PM EDT
Well, I've been wanting to "build"  since I got my first 10/22 (a stainless, green stocked international) back in 2008.  I didn't want to tear down the international, so I picked up this plain jane sporter (1994 serial) last year.

I shot it one squirrel with it.  Put 250 rounds down range.   Cleaned up the trigger and inside of the receiver a bit, but havent done anything with it in almost 16 months.....

However, I went and did a "Bad" thing today.... I ordered a bunch of parts  :D

Parts ordered include:
-Feddersen 16.25" .920 fluted, threaded (and capped barrel)
-Kidd charging handle
-Volquartsen auto bolt release
-"squirrel slayer" bolt buffer
-Hogue overmold stock (black)

Parts still need to order
-bipod
-picatinny top receiver rail
-new rings for a different scope I have laying around
-aftermarket extended mag release
-maybe upgraded extractor if I have issues
-maybe adjustable v-block if I have issues
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for the AAR.

I hope to build a nice one for the "kids" someday.

can you explain the squirrel slayer buffer?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag for the AAR.

View Quote

my mistake, it was branded as the "squirrel daddy" buffer haha.  it is "Viton rubber jacket over a custom stainless steel pins" 2 for $8 on amazon (prime)....

looks just like a Kidd knockoff from amazon... I love Kidd stuff (i always have), but i'm not paying $20 for a bolt buffer.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
damn amazon prime is fast... hogue stock already arrived.

barrel has been removed (entire gun is stripped except the bolt/firing pin), but I slide it back into the receiver to mock up on the hogue stock just to ensure that I had a straight receiver.... I would have been disappointed if my bull barrel was cockeyed due to an out of spec receiver as mentioned in another thread (on rimfire central).  

any suggestions on a decent quality picatinny receiver rail (for scope mount) and a decent quality bipod for this little blaster?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE 05/9/15-

The good:  Feddersen barrel was waiting for me at my door when I arrived home.  I was mystified by just how beautiful the machining, threaded, finish, and fitment was into my receiver.    I will take some pics later today of it just resting in the reciever.

The bad (sort of):  When hand tightening the vblock screws for a test fit, i felt my allen wrench "slip" or "skip".  I will likely purchase new screws or a Kidd adjustable vblock, the last thing I want is a pair of stripped vblock screws.

THE REALLY UGLY:  :mad::mad::mad:The hogue stock does not fit ANY of my 3 10/22 actions with trigger assembly installed.  In the previous photo of this thread, i simply tossed the barrel receiver into the action and it looked great.  However,  due to a brace in the back of the receiver/action channel that fits into the notch of the rear of the trigger group, the assembled barreled action must be inserted at an angle.... THAT IS WHEN THINGS GOT FRUSTRATING.  The front of the magwell did not have enough room to insert into the stock at an angle.  So I figured a little sanding will work fine (hogue even states on the box, some fitment may be needed).... After 2 hours of hand sanding, the rifle is almost flush in there, but still the gun is at an angle from the stock.  The barrel is canted up about 10 degrees because the receiver just wont fit in there properly.

I tried to test fit the stock with the 2 other 10/22s we have aside from this current build.  All 3 of these receivers will still not fit.  I am not going to sand any longer, because all the "contact"/"rub" points are no longer there.

and YES, i did try to see if inserting/tightening the action screw would fit it, problem is that the receiver is at an angle.  Attempted to screw the receiver to the stock will cause the action screw to cross thread the receiver which is far worse than a poor fitting stock.

I called Hogue late yesterday afternoon before they closed.  The CS rep was nice, said they will exchange it once they receive it.  Turn around time is about 7-10 business days once it arrives (So basically 2 weeks).  She did not offer to provide a shipping return label, which I will call back and request.

I've always liked hogue products, but If I have to eat shipping on returning this stock I will be ticked.  It is the proper model for this gun w/ this barrel, yet it simply does not fit.

PHOTOS of the poor stock fitment (THIS IS AFTER over 2 hours of hand sanding,  the barrel was sticking up much higher previously), some shots of the feddersen barrel.  I've included photos of both the build this was intended for AND my 10/22 stainless international action in the stock with the same problems. you can actually see in one photo where the interational's trigger group is scraping plastic with the 2 prongs for the magwell)

.920 barrel should be flush at this end of the stock

barrel angled way up

You can see where the other stainless receivered rifle is shaving plastic when i dropped it in.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
As a Prime Member, I am pretty sure you can return the stock back to Amazon and receive free shipping for a refund or replacement.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As a Prime Member, I am pretty sure you can return the stock back to Amazon and receive free shipping for a refund or replacement.  

Good luck.
View Quote

I've been sanding and trying to fit the stock for a few hours. i doubt amazon will take it back,  hogue already stated they will replace the stock.  the goal is now just to help them pay for the return shipping cost to them.  
thanks to some of the guys on rimfire central, i was able to get the stock DAMN close to fitting... but still, not there.  It has to be returned and replaced at this point.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
well, even after some more fine grit sanding, stock still does mate up properly with any of my 3 10/22 actions.

I recontacted hogue (as I did on friday), and CS rep asked me to send photos of the fitment issues before they will make the call on whether I should get a replacement stock or not.  Hogue rep also let me know that the Customer Service rep I spoke to on friday's advice to sand the stock a bit before trying to send it back to us (hogue) was in fact not normal protocol...

I think they will take care of me still, however, their hesitance is a bit disconcerting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
update from Hogue:

they will replace the stock, even though i "modified" it (at the suggestion of their CS rep on friday).  They offered to custom fit the stock to my rifle if I sent them my rifle, I declined (I'm not shipping a 10/22 to california :eek:).  

They will however:"Once we get the stock back here Eric will inspect it and test fit it on our 1022’s to make sure we get a new stock out for you that will not cause you problems."

They will not cover the return shipping to them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang, sorry to hear that about the shipping.  I would be rather ticked off.  I'm happy my B & C stock didn't have any fitting issues, but then it costs twice as much as the Hogue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dang, sorry to hear that about the shipping.  I would be rather ticked off.  I'm happy my B & C stock didn't have any fitting issues, but then it costs twice as much as the Hogue.
View Quote

its just crappy all around situation.  If the replacement stock hogue sends me (Sometime in the next 2-3 weeks) does NOT fit any of my 10/22s PERFECTLY, it will be tossed up on EE or ebay.   I will have to look at other stocks then if need be....

on a positive note, all my other build parts have arrived.  I may still order an adjustable kidd v-block, but i should be "done" shy of optics and this stock situation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#11]
the new replacement stock from Hogue arrived today.

STILL DID NOT FIT!!!!!  I tried all 3 of the 10/22 receivers that I have and none of them could seat properly,  far too much material in the SAME SPOTS as the previous stock I returned to hogue.  This stock was a much better INITIAL fit than the first crappy hogue mold, but it still would not work.

I am sending this one back to Amazon for refund of the initial purchase.  

I will have to go a different route all together with the stock since Hogue cannot provide me with a solid product.  Any suggestions for a quality synthetic stock for a .920 barrel?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Well this doesn't make me feel to good about getting a new Hogue stock for my 10/22 after I get a new bull barrel in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear about your stock issues.

I have had a Pro-Mag Archangel Deluxe Target stock on one of my 10-22's for a few years now and it has been an excellent stock and is a quality product.

Choate Dragunov for bull barrels.

Although Discontinued you can still find a Butler Creek stock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well this doesn't make me feel to good about getting a new Hogue stock for my 10/22 after I get a new bull barrel in a few weeks.
View Quote

double check it,  order from a reputable company (like amazon) who will cover shipping.  It may be perfect when it arrives (could be new "old" stock), but returning it to hogue for a replacement cost me nearly $20 in postage.  My amazon prime savings went down the drain thanks to that and I've now paid over MSRP for a stock that simply does not fit any of my rifles..... TWICE.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your stock issues.

I have had a Pro-Mag Archangel Deluxe Target stock on one of my 10-22's for a few years now and it has been an excellent stock and is a quality product.

Choate Dragunov for bull barrels.

Although Discontinued you can still find a Butler Creek stock.
View Quote

I can't say that I am a fan of any of those stocks.  I am thinking along the lines of perhaps a Victor Company Titan or maybe a Bell and Carlson.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

my mistake, it was branded as the "squirrel daddy" buffer haha.  it is "Viton rubber jacket over a custom stainless steel pins" 2 for $8 on amazon (prime)....

looks just like a Kidd knockoff from amazon... I love Kidd stuff (i always have), but i'm not paying $20 for a bolt buffer.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YUyMUNWuL.AA500_PIcountsize-2,TopRight,0,0_AA500_SH20_.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for the AAR.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YUyMUNWuL.AA500_PIcountsize-2,TopRight,0,0_AA500_SH20_.jpg

I bought a Flatline Ops recoil buffer at Midway for $13. It fit perfect so I decided to buy more. I found viton set of two from another place on ebay for $9.99. They were too big and I couldn't get them in the receiver without pulling the pin and lubing everything. Every time I disassemble the rifle I fight getting the cheap recoil buffer in. I wouldn't go cheap unless you know they fit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Placed an order for the victor Titan stock in FDE tonight... more than I wanted to spend, but the reviews have been solid and the Customer service has been outstanding... we shall see.  This build is going in a different direction that I originally expected.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
and the build is "done". It shot great today with the titan stock installed.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about all the problems with the stock OP.  I'm ?looking into the Titan as well... How is it working out for you?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
sold the barrel and stock to another arfcom member.  going to sell the 10/22 (in factory config) soon as well.  I had to wipe my hands clean.  my "gun ocd" couldnt handle that barrel being crooked like that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Doing my first 10/22 build also... Barrel is a Gemtech Mist. It's still in NFA jail so now you've got me nervous OP.

Receiver is Volquartsen. Rest of the  parts are KIDD. Went with single-stage trigger @ 2lbs- ITS GREAT! Stock is a Hogue nylon 10/22. Kind of feel bad putting $1,200 of parts in a $75 stock but oh well. I like the "sleeper" look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top