Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 8:19:43 PM EDT
I'm thinking about refinishing my 10/22. It's an older model with the metal trigger housing and barrel band. Got it when I was a teenager and it was so beat up that I painted it camo a couple years ago. I recently replaced the extractor and all of the springs, and thought, why not make it look new again?

Anyway, before I get out the Break-free and wire brush, I'd like to have a new stock. Nothing synthetic really catches my eye, but I really like the looks of the factory looking laminated stocks.

Besides the usual places to buy used, is there any other place to buy them? I saw a couple on ebay that were factory take-offs.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Ruger forums, lots of choices for used stocks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Stocky's makes a few, the Trailblazer, Explorer, and Classic are all pretty basic no frills high quality stocks.
                                         Stocky's Stocks

Boyds also makes one, the RH Ruger stock.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about refinishing my 10/22. It's an older model with the metal trigger housing and barrel band. Got it when I was a teenager and it was so beat up that I painted it camo a couple years ago. I recently replaced the extractor and all of the springs, and thought, why not make it look new again?

Anyway, before I get out the Break-free and wire brush, I'd like to have a new stock. Nothing synthetic really catches my eye, but I really like the looks of the factory looking laminated stocks.

Besides the usual places to buy used, is there any other place to buy them? I saw a couple on ebay that were factory take-offs.

View Quote

keep the break free and the wire brush in the tool kit. If you want to strip- use : http://www.amazon.com/Citri-Strip-QCG73801T-Varnish-Stripping-1-Quart/dp/B000QFCP1G

Or go with a  Boyds

My brothers 10/22 in a Boyds stock

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stocky's makes a few, the Trailblazer, Explorer, and Classic are all pretty basic no frills high quality stocks.
                                         Stocky's Stocks

Boyds also makes one, the RH Ruger stock.
View Quote

I have the Trailblazer on mine.

" />
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Today I bought a factory black laminated stock from Ebay. I also stripped the old camo paint from the rest of the rifle. The blued barrel cleaned up pretty good. The receiver didn't, so I took it down to bare metal, polished, then cleared. While I was on Ebay I also bought some Tech Sights. I'll get pics when everything arrives.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Today I bought a factory black laminated stock from Ebay. I also stripped the old camo paint from the rest of the rifle. The blued barrel cleaned up pretty good. The receiver didn't, so I took it down to bare metal, polished, then cleared. While I was on Ebay I also bought some Tech Sights. I'll get pics when everything arrives.
View Quote

Post some before and after pics when you do!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's how it turned out. I'll have to dig around for some before pics. I stripped all of the old paint from the barrel, trigger group, and receiver. The barrel blueing looked good still, but the trigger guard had to be repainted. The receiver buffed out really good, so I sprayed it with clear. While I had the trigger group apart, I polished the hammer, sear, and disconnector, as well as the back side of the trigger where it touches the return plunger. New stock and tech sights.

Right now i'm refinishing the old wood stock with the plan being to pick up an older beater gun to mess around with. I bought a new one for my wife two years ago, and there's a huge difference in quality. I don't mind the plastic parts, but the bolt is rough and the receiver has some burrs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top