Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2015 9:44:29 PM EDT
Hey all,

My kids are finally getting old enough that I can start teaching them proper handling of a firearm and enjoy shooting with them.

We are looking for a .22LR rifle to get them as a starter rifle.   There is the obvious choice of the Cricket.   It's cheap, it's safe, it's single shot.

Is there a better choice?

We were looking at the Rossi Youth MP Combo (.22LR/.410), until we found out how expensive .410 was, then it kind of turned us off...

But I am sure there are plenty of other good youth/starter rifles out there..

We have Ruger 10/22's, S&W M&P 15-22, but I don't think either of them would be a good "First" gun..

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd do a pump or a bolt of some sort.
My dad had me shooting a old ass Ranger 103-8 single shot when I was very young.  Then moved me up to a Winchester Model 90, then a Model 61.  Then I was on my own.

In other words, something that they have to actively think about what they are doing for every shot.

I still have the Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
For the price, safety aspect, and lop the Cricket is still the best 1st gun imho.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
A good used single shot bolt action .22LR with both iron sights and tip off dovetail for a simple 4x scope or low power variable.

There are lots of choices out there. Lever Marlins, loaded one shot at a time make a good choice that they can grow with as they become more skilled.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
River american rimfire. Adjustable stock ftw.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Ruger American Rimfire compact is perfect starter rifle
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger American Rimfire compact is perfect starter rifle
View Quote

We went with Savage Mk IIs for my sons, and the Ruger Americans came out shortly there after. I would have gone Ruger Americans had we waited a little longer. The MKIIs are fine for bolt action 22s, $150ish at Walmart. NO regrets buying them, however being able to use 10/22 mags would have been a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Maker........Model......Single shot?.... overall length..... length of pull... weight.....USA? .....MSRP     Trigger pull
Henry.........H005.......Yes .................30.25..................11.5..................3.25..........Y...........$275.00
Crickett.......22LR.......yes..................30.5.....................12.....................3...............Y............................2.5-3
Savage.......Rascal......Yes................31.5....................11.25................2.95..........N, Canada   $186 to $2312.         5 to 4.5
Ruger.........American  No..................35.75 .................12.5.................5.38

Here's the research I did.
You don't say how old/big they are.  I just added the Ruger American, but for my plans (son about to turn 4) it is too long/heavy even in the compact.  If your kids are very young, I"ve decided on (eventually) getting the Savage Rascal as I think it will be the best for a small child.  If they are older, you have a lot more options.  I want to get a single shot for safety, but with older kids you could get one with a magazine and just single load early on.

Columns may not line up right depending on screen format.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
End thread
Single shot or magazine fed.
I have a 452 varmint and its the most accurate .22 I own. The 452 action doesn't feel sloppy or like a toy and the fit and finish of the metal work is amazing.
Don't forget the hammer forged barrel either. This is the best cost/value optic out there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The CZ scout is a very nice quality rifle that would make anybody proud to pass down through the generations.

The Savage Rascal beats the Cricket in every department besides cost, and it is close enough on that to not really matter.
I bought my daughter a Cricket before the Rascals came out, it does function fine but it is not a quality rifle and is kind of a pain to load.

The Rascal has a loading ramp you dont have to place the cartridge just right for it to feed, the Cricket has a tiny load/eject port and has to have the round placed perfectly for it to chamber, if you mount a scope it makes the room for loading even tighter.. The Rascal has an adjustable trigger that can be adjusted to your preferences as your child grows/learns.
The Rascal has vastly superior sights and comes with a dovetail scope rail, the Cricket has a crappy rear sight that is hard to adjust and lock down without it moving, and the scope mount that does not come with it has to replace the rear sight and is a finicky contraption.

Remington 514 youth, marlin 15y & XT-22 youth are also worth looking at.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

End thread

I have a 452 varmint and its the most accurate .22 I own. The 452 action doesn't feel sloppy or like a toy and the fit and finish of the metal work is amazing.

Don't forget the hammer forged barrel either. This is the best cost/value optic out there.
View Quote
+3 on the Scout.

Have one for my oldest daughter.

Just need to get 2 more for the other two daughters.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I chose the savage mk2 for my kids to learn on. With my outback on it they have learned how to focus on the sights without any recoil or loud sounds to develop bad habits.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ-452 Scout +4
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a used single shot?  Something like this Remington 514.  

The original has been in my family since my dad bought it used for me when I was 11 years old.  I am 65.  The only alteration is that it has been drilled and tapped for a scope.  From the factory it only had iron sights.  I have recently refinished the stock and reblued the barrel and action.  They were inexpensive, so it has no collectors value.  Thus, I did not mind refinishing it.  It will be a gift to my grand daughter to teach her shooting.  She will be 11 in the fall, the same age I was when I got it.

These single shots are ubiquitous.   They are plentiful and would make a good beginner gun for anyone.   FWIW:  The scope is an ordinary 4x32 made by Tasco when it was Japanese and comes from the mid to late 1960s.  Many a rabbit, squirrel, tin can, bottle and some paper targets have succumbed to it over the years.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the price, safety aspect, and lop the Cricket is still the best 1st gun imho.

View Quote

I have two (boy n girl), and I agree with the above.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
End thread
View Quote

If it came with peep sights, I would grab one for sure.

ETA...dammit, checked the price of the CZ 452 Scout and it isn't bad.  Plus,  I saw that Williams and tech-sights are available for them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Went with a Savage Rascal for the kids. Great starter rifle. Decent peep sight, adjustable trigger.  When it's time to upgrade size, will probably try the Ruger American Rimfire.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I like single-shots. In some ways, they are more fun than magazine guns as you can maintain an uninterrupted rate of fire over a long period of plinking.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The best one is whatever .22 rifle your wife's dad will give the grandkids.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:35:24 AM EDT
[#19]
The Cricket can only be unloaded by pulling the trigger. I did not care for this part of their design and chose the Rascal.

I like the accutrigger on the Rascal. It sometimes goes to the range when the kids don't.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#20]
CZ 452 is great first rifle...that was my daughter's first rifle...we sold it since she preferred her yellow Savage Rascal.

It's a joke to hear people say the Cricket is the best first rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Got a Ruger American Compact for my 8 year olds, it's great.  They load single shot now but the nice thing is they can grow with it with mags,etc.  it's very accurate with the iron sights but looking for a scope now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My marlin little buckaroo was far more accurate than my wife's CZ Scout is. I am not impressed with the CZ.

The Savage would be a much better choice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Any gun shop will have a rack full of good used classic Winchester and Remington bolt actions usually under 200 bucks. Something like a Remington 541 t with the target sights would be a great start.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any gun shop will have a rack full of good used classic Winchester and Remington bolt actions usually under 200 bucks. Something like a Remington 541 t with the target sights would be a great start.
View Quote

Can you get a 541 T for under $200?  That would be awesome.  I have a 541 S Custom Sporter. I know the basic action is the same.  My rifle is extremely accurate for a sporter.

I thought the T usually goes for $600-750, and the S about $100-150 more. Here's mine.  I would probably not want to give a kid something of that quality as a first gun.   I'd lean toward the 514 I posted above.  Kids are hard on guns.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I meant the 541. X ( the youth sized small bore competition rifle
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought my son a Savage Rascal a few years ago too.  He loves it and it fits him perfectly.  Somehow it is also perfectly acceptable for me to fit and shoot, not sure how they accomplished that!  I often shoot it when we go out, just to take a break from my 10/22.  It is a very compact, completely useful and fun tool.  I have a few buddies who love to shoot it when I bring it as well.  It has my vote!

YMMV,
Steve
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The CZ scout is a very nice quality rifle that would make anybody proud to pass down through the generations.
View Quote

If you want the best, another +1 for the Scout
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top