Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2015 1:56:27 PM EDT
What options are out there for a true lefty or fully ambi, semiauto rifle in .22lr, preferably youth sized, short of a Stag LH with a conversion BCG?

I have a Beretta ARX1670, but its very bulky and was looking from something more streamlined.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
For semi-autos there aren't that many options.

-Savage 64FL left-hand at Buds for $151 will be your cheapest option.

-A left-hand .22 AR will give you the most accessory options.

-Walther G22 rifle allows you to swap the ejection port from side to side.  These rifles are a bit hard to find but I do see one on Gunbroker for $399.

Both my wife and I are southpaws.  I slapped some Tech-Sights on a 10/22 and we both love it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For semi-autos there aren't that many options.

-Savage 64FL left-hand at Buds for $151 will be your cheapest option.

-A left-hand .22 AR will give you the most accessory options.

-Walther G22 rifle allows you to swap the ejection port from side to side.  These rifles are a bit hard to find but I do see one on Gunbroker for $399.

Both my wife and I are southpaws.  I slapped some Tech-Sights on a 10/22 and we both love it.
View Quote

Hadn't seen the 64FL, will take a Gander.  The lefty AR is in the plans but needed something cheaper to start with.

g22 haven't looked at either, but kind of an odd looking gun. I'll have to see if I can find one to play with.

Will look at Tech sights, not familiar with them.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Bottom ejection:

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My most used pistol is an Advantage Arms 22 conversation on a Glock 17 frame.  My frame is the 3rd Generation so I don't think the mag release can be reversed but a Gen 4 frame can be reversed for lefties.  I rarely use the slide catch release but grasp the slide.  Other than a revolver that is about as lefty friendly as any handguns.  I think an AR-15 with dedicated 22 upper and ambidextrous safety  are very lefty friendly.  Stag sold a left hand conversion made by CMMG plus a dedicated left AR-22 upper but their not cheap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]

That's a semiauto? Whats the make/model?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Very nice! But MSRP  $1,579.99 probably not a good first rifle for a kid!

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The standard grade is "only" $699.  Street price would of course be less and even lower for a used one.  They're fine little guns for sure though and the original take-down.

eta:  Forgot about the Interarms/Norinco copy.  No longer available new but it might be something to keep an eye out for...

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Tactical INC's CH22 10-22 style receiver with ambi charging handle, and you could put a lefthand safety in a 10-22 trigger group.

Taurus or Winchester 63, is ambi except for the right side ejection.

Remington Speedmaster 522 with its left side charging handle,and right side shell deflector/ ejection port shield.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The standard grade is "only" $699.  Street price would of course be less and even lower for a used one.  They're fine little guns for sure though and the original take-down.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/Browning-Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-x1m.jpg  

eta:  Forgot about the Interarms/Norinco copy.  No longer available new but it might be something to keep an eye out for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyW-bGFxqX4

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/Browning-Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-x1m.jpg  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyW-bGFxqX4

Ah didn't realize it was a takedown - that is very cool!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tactical INC's CH22 10-22 style receiver with ambi charging handle, and you could put a lefthand safety in a 10-22 trigger group.

Taurus or Winchester 63, is ambi except for the right side ejection.

Remington Speedmaster 522 with its left side charging handle,and right side shell deflector/ ejection port shield.
View Quote

Thanks will check those out, had not seen them yet! That CH22 looks amazing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]
This is a first rifle for a kid? I wouldn't go all out financially for something beautiful. It's going to get scratched and dinged - i.e., get some memories on it.

I'd get a 10/22 Compact: short LOP stock, 16.25" barrel. The ejection is sideways so it doesn't bother a lefty shooter (I is one). It is easy to learn to operate the bolt left-handed and even to lock it back one-handed.  If the rifle is going to be dedicated to this shooter, the left-handed safety is a very nice modification. In fact, I'm going to put one on my personal Appleseed/CMP rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never had a problem shooting right handed semis left handed.  I do greatly prefer left hand bolt actions, though.

For a kid, I'd look for a basic 10/22 or Marlin 60.  Both are fine shooting left handed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top