Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:07:28 PM EDT
I'm fed up with my Stevens 62. It's not very accurate (2 - 3" groups at 50 yards), jams a lot, fails to cycle a lot, and is super picky about magazines. Out of 6 magazines, only one of them works reliably, the others cause serious jamming issues. It's also difficult to disassemble for a proper cleaning.

So I'm thinking of trading it in at Scheel's or Cabela's for a Ruger 10/22 (keeping my optic of course). What do I need to know? How's the accuracy? Magazine prices? Reliability?

Typically the Stevens has been a range plinker or rifle trainer, I don't hunt anything with a .22 LR.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, while I'd like to keep a .22 LR in the stable I may jump ship over to .17 HMR. Been wanting a Savage 93R17 anyway.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually, while I'd like to keep a .22 LR in the stable I may jump ship over to .17 HMR. Been wanting a Savage 93R17 anyway.
View Quote

Savage just released the A17.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, our Scheel's just got a bunch of them in stock. Maybe someday...right now I'd prefer a bolt action. Makes it easier to stretch out my ammo supply, especially since .17 HMR (while more available than .22 LR) is expensive for rimfire.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They're pretty decent out of the box, I've had a few new stock rifles and never had any issues. If you want to upgrade any parts, I'd recommend Kidd.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
They're good right out of the box.  Trigger sucks.  Buy a Power Custom hammer and sear for around $68 or the Ruger drop-in BX trigger for around $80 and you'll be glad you did.  Videos on the Internet will fix you up on install.  
OR you can drink the Volquartsen or Kidd kool-aid and spend over $200 on a trigger.  I'm not saying they're not worth it.  

Ruger mags work great.  Best place to buy magazines that I've found is CDNN.  They regularly have the 10rd box mags on sale for $9.99 and the BX-25's usually run about $20 - $30 depending on sales.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Some guys think the S&W 15/22 has made the Ruger 10/22 obsolete, and maybe they are right.  At any rate, I have two 10/22s and they are nice rifles.  One of mine serves as a suppressor host.

" />
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Make a decision now to either have a bone stock gun that shoot decent groups that you can plink with or a $1000 .22 that shoots dime size groups at the range. It seems like you cant have anything in between in the 10/22 world.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you looked at the Ruger American Rimfire? Bolt gun that takes Ruger 10/22 mags and has an adjustable trigger.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Ruger American Rimfire? Bolt gun that takes Ruger 10/22 mags and has an adjustable trigger.
View Quote

Interesting!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of the box 10/22's are often a lot more accurate than most folks think.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting!

I've got the RAR compact threaded model and its quickly becoming my favorite .22 rifle. Slightly heavier barrel than the 10/22, free floated, brilliantly designed modular stock, and an excellent adjustable trigger. Mine will shoot ragged holes for groups with decent ammo and is crazy quiet with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've got the RAR compact threaded model and its quickly becoming my favorite .22 rifle. Slightly heavier barrel than the 10/22, free floated, brilliantly designed modular stock, and an excellent adjustable trigger. Mine will shoot ragged holes for groups with decent ammo and is crazy quiet with a suppressor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting!

I've been looking around for the compact threaded model with no luck. I might have to break down and order from Buds or something.

I want a bolt gun for the silencerco spectre 2 I plan on getting someday
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I put off getting a .22lr rifle for years until I found a Ruger 10/22 Tactical Target with wood stocks.  It was decent enough to shoot out of the box but I immediately installed a Kidd two stage trigger assembly, bolt, and charging handle.  It shoots wonderfully and no jams or malfunctions with both the BX-10 and BX-25 magazines.  I may eventually get a new target barrel for it.  But for now it is a great shooter.  BTW, I mounted a Nikon rimfire scope on it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The last 10/22 I got looked like this...

It didn't take long before it looked like this....

I replaced every component one by one until I had a complete KIDD rifle. What you should know about the 10/22? Customizing them is half the fun of owning one and they can get expensive and addicting. They can be very accurate with the right parts/work. The one above can easily hang with or outshoot most bolt actions and IMO is a lot more fun to shoot. I keep telling myself this is the last one I'll build and hopefully I can stick to it...yeah right
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're a modding addict, just start out with an aftermarket receiver and building off of that...........  That's where you're going to end up anyways, so no need to waste money buying a factory 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've been looking around for the compact threaded model with no luck. I might have to break down and order from Buds or something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Why in the world didn't they do a 16" in the American?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The average joe .22 buyer thinks 16" is too short? Ruger offers two different models of the 10/22 with a 16" barrel and neither seems to sell very well. Even the 22" American Rimfire outsells the 18" compact and I don't know any good reason someone would want a 22" barreled .22LR.

I would of preferred a 16" barrel attached but the 18" handles very nicely.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Out of the box 10/22's are often a lot more accurate than most folks think.
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The average joe .22 buyer thinks 16" is too short? Ruger offers two different models of the 10/22 with a 16" barrel and neither seems to sell very well. Even the 22" American Rimfire outsells the 18" compact and I don't know any good reason someone would want a 22" barreled .22LR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chop-n-thread...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chop-n-thread...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/RAR-SBR_zpsw83qvbom.jpg

How short is that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I would like one in 16" with tech sights for sure. Threaded for a later suppressor purchase.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How short is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How short is that?

Just a photochop of triburst's pic above.  It does look rather handy though, yes?  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How short is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chop-n-thread...

How short is that?

It would be about 10 inches.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
You could go 5 inches.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome guns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chop-n-thread...

Looks handy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You could go 5 inches.

<a href="http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/jimdgreat1/media/20150424_140621_zpsjmio5zvq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/jimdgreat1/20150424_140621_zpsjmio5zvq.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's what she said!

Sweet rifle, two stamps for that I assume?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top