Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 8:31:05 AM EDT
I had ordered one of these and it arrived yesterday. So far its not that great of a purchase. The action was smooth but I noticed a little play in the receiver so I just hand tighten the thumb screw. The action became extremely difficult to operate. I tried to find a happy medium but you can still move the receiver half's. The receiver is cast metal with a fake case hardening and actually looks bizarre. The bolt, thumbscrew and lever look out of place against the fake CH. I wish they would have not done that. The front sight/barrel band is one piece plastic with no way to change sights or adjust windage. The rear band is steel/possibly cast.  The tube loaded fine and is smooth but I had a ftl on the first round.  

The good?  Although the stock is birch, it is pretty beefy and well finished. The barrel is pretty stout too, it looks like they use it for other larger calibers. Surprisingly it was pretty accurate but I did not do any bench shooting. I didn't have any feeding problems after that first round.

My advice is to pass on these, you may be able to fiddle with the action to smooth it up. If you have to get one, wait for the plain finish version with the synthetic stock that does not have the fake CH.

Ugh!. I tried .22 shorts and it would not come close to feeding. I had to take the whole feed mechanism out and reassemble to get the rifle to function again. Had more ftl on first rounds. The manual says 100-150 rounds to break in so it might improve. It is pretty easy to take the internals apart though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not the news I was wanting to hear.

I was hoping for a Marlin 39 clone with decent build quality at a decent price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately this is far to normal for Chiappa products.  For the Money it's hard to go wrong with a Henry H001, mine has been great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a sucker for anything new in this area. It may improve with use but it shouldn't be this rough out of the box. I have a standard 39A and was hoping this would have been a good substitute for a Mountie. Its supposed to shoot shorts but I couldn't find that in the manual. I've bought other new guns sight unseen but usually ones that have been out for awhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top