Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 7:43:50 PM EDT
My rifle shoots a different poi when there is pressure towards the end of the stock compared to it resting right in front of the trigger guard/magazine area.
I pushed the takedown pin back towards the receiver as hard as I could, but there was still some wiggle to the rifle.

There's about 18" of difference at 50 yards depending on how I hold the rifle.

Anyone ever heard of this? Any fixes?

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you read the manual?

Have you adjusted the lock-up mechanism?

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022.pdf

page 14
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you read the manual?

View Quote

No. I just did though. Thanks, problem should be fixed.... Now I feel like a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
After you've taken the slack out of the adjustment, unlock and rotate the forearm to the side and then give the adjuster a couple more clicks.
That will help it lock up good and solid. You shouldn't have to muscle it closed but it should start to feel some tension about 1/2 way as you're rotating it closed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
You've had good advice in the posts above. I just did a test of a friend's Takedown; he was complaining of a similar problem with POI change after each disassembly/reassembly cycle. Tightened up the locking nut and then shot 5-shot groups, reassembling the rifle after each shot. It then held to a 2 MOA group. Made some other observations in my blog article at www.1022Companion.wordpress.com.

Among them: even with the barrel locked up tight, using a loop sling drastically deflected POI.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You've had good advice in the posts above. I just did a test of a friend's Takedown; he was complaining of a similar problem with POI change after each disassembly/reassembly cycle. Tightened up the locking nut and then shot 5-shot groups, reassembling the rifle after each shot. It then held to a 2 MOA group. Made some other observations in my blog article at www.1022Companion.wordpress.com.

Among them: even with the barrel locked up tight, using a loop sling drastically deflected POI.
View Quote

I concur with BobN.
My experience has been that it's very accurate if using the open sights because they're both located on the barrel assembly. But the POI shift from a red dot or scope mounted on the receiver has been fairly disappointing; especially after breaking down and reassembly. The barrel just isn't repeatable in relation to the receiver, especially at distances over 50yds.

BUT...there is an optics solution!  Amega Ranges manufactures a scout mount for the takedown model.
Because it mounts on the barrel/forearm, there's no relationship to be lost with the receiver when disassembled/reassembled. I've got a red dot on mine, but a pistol scope or scout scope (long eye relief) would work, too. Here's the link.
http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/takedown_10-22.php

I can easily lay hits on a 6" steel plate at 100yds and with holdovers can hit targets out to 150. And NO change in zero!
That's really all I can ask out of this model at the moment. Future plans are to mount a scout scope to make it more "distance friendly" for my old eyes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I concur with BobN.
My experience has been that it's very accurate if using the open sights because they're both located on the barrel assembly. But the POI shift from a red dot or scope mounted on the receiver has been fairly disappointing; especially after breaking down and reassembly. The barrel just isn't repeatable in relation to the receiver, especially at distances over 50yds.

BUT...there is an optics solution!  Amega Ranges manufactures a scout mount for the takedown model.
Because it mounts on the barrel/forearm, there's no relationship to be lost with the receiver when disassembled/reassembled. I've got a red dot on mine, but a pistol scope or scout scope (long eye relief) would work, too. Here's the link.

I can easily lay hits on a 6" steel plate at 100yds and with holdovers can hit targets out to 150. And NO change in zero!
That's really all I can ask out of this model at the moment. Future plans are to mount a scout scope to make it more "distance friendly" for my old eyes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur with BobN.

Man a really small scout mount for a red dot would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Man a really small scout mount for a red dot would be awesome.

View Quote

Something like the Volquartsen dovetail mount might work? (Designed for the MK series pistols.)

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I need to check my adjustment too. I had about a 3' POI shift at 50yds putting my SWR Spectre on yesterday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top