Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 11:48:03 AM EDT
I am running a 3-9x40 Bushnell elite 3200 on my 10/22 and I can't seem to keep targets at 50 yards in focus very well, maybe because of the parallax?

I think I might purchase a Nikon 3-9x40 or a 4x rimfire model to put on this rifle instead (leaning towards the 4x). I have seen some talk about these scopes not having AO adjustments. Does that mean they don't have a focus dial on the rear of the scope, or is that something entirely different?

I typically have to screw the rear adjustment thing all the way in to focus the crosshairs for my eyes. Would I lose this ability with the Nikon?

Right now I am going back and forth between the rimfire scope, or a PA micro dot. Since I might use this for some squirrel hunting/varmint control around the house I may stick with the 4x.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know all scopes have the eyepiece focus to make adjustments for your eyes. What you need is one that also has an adjustable objective (AO) which is usually another focus ring on the objective end of the scope. They usually let you focus anywhere from 10 yards to infinity and are marked with the distances.

This explains it better: http://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_does_AO_mean_September_2005/25
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The focus ring on the eye piece (ocular lens) is for getting the reticle in sharp focus with your eyesight. The adjustable objective (AO, either a ring on the front or a dial on the left side) is to remove parallax errors at varying distances by bringing the target into the same focal plane as the reticle.

A fixed parallax rimfire scope will have the parallax error removed at a fixed distance usually at 50 or 75 yards. This distance will change if you move the ocular focus from its factory setting.

You can still focus the ocular lens on the Nikon, just make sure you are looking at a white wall or clear sky when you do so your eye wont change to try and bring an object in your view into focus.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I'm going to go ahead and red dot this one and get myself a 2-7x Rimfire scope and a RAR. I'm not pleased the the accuracy of this rifle so I might as well make it as fun as possible. Should be fun for the wife and kids also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top