Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 12:42:52 PM EDT
I have a factory 10/22 with no modifications other than a suppressed barrel. The rifle probably had 400 troublefree rounds until last week. It started jamming and getting an occasional light primer strike. I pulled it apart and cleaned with a toothbrush an oiled it. The rifle is feeding great now, but about every 20 rounds I am getting a light primer strike. What would you do to solve this problem?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Send out your bolt to Que for reworking. $35 with return shipping. You'll have a hard time trying to tell the difference between a match grade bolt and his reworked bolts.

Now if you dont want to do that, check your hammer and it's spring.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! My bolt will be shipped out this week.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
While I certainly endorse bolt work by Que or by Connecticut Precision Chambering, there could be another cause of your light strikes: a dirty chamber. After 400 rounds, I would expect there to be a ring of hardened carbon and primer material in the chamber, just ahead of the case mouth. This ring can cause the round to stick before it is fully seated. Then when the firing pin hits, it drives the entire cartridge forward rather than crushing the rim. Before sending the bolt out, I'd give the chamber a thorough cleaning with a brush (see gunsmithertools.com for their chamber brush) and see if the problem goes away.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. I shall run a brush through it a few more times. I am sold in the bolt work and will get that going also.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Whichever solvent you are using (Ballistol is my favorite), spray or wipe some liberally into the chamber and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the chemical to soften the carbon ring. It will be easier to do a complete job that way - less scrubbing required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top