Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2015 3:56:08 PM EDT
I need to replace the rear sight elevator on my old 550-1. This guy: http://www.gun-parts.com/remington22rifle/ sells replacements but it's a $10 minimum order and I don't need anything else.

Does anyone know if those elevators are sort of a standard size where I could swap it out for something else? I saw some universal sets on Brownells.

I'd prefer to use a Remington original part but I suppose as long as the part works, it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Numrich Gun parts has them for $3.50.  Shipping sucks.  Looks like a standard elevator.  They come in several thicknesses, usually .050 and .080.  Measure the gap in your rear sight and order whatever is cheapest.  You could check you LGS for a take off or Brownell type replacement.  Most shops doing any kind of repairs are likely to have something you can use on hand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are great guns. Congrats. I have a 550-1 and the later model 552.  They have tube magazines and will shoot anything, shorts, longs, long rifle, all interchangeably.  They are very reliable and tend to shoot very accurately.

The elevator for the rear sight is probably a generic part, or can be made so.  I have a box with several different elevators in them.  I think a local gunsmith would have one for you and would probably let go of it in that $3-4 range and you could avoid shipping. If it is too tall, the bottom of it can be shaved down to bring the notches down lower.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I ordered from Numrich. I don't care too much about the price as long as I get the right part - we'll see when it gets here.

I love the rifle and now that I have boys of age, I want to add it to the range day rotation.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Numrich Gun parts has them for $3.50.  Shipping sucks.  Looks like a standard elevator.  They come in several thicknesses, usually .050 and .080.  Measure the gap in your rear sight and order whatever is cheapest.  You could check you LGS for a take off or Brownell type replacement.  Most shops doing any kind of repairs are likely to have something you can use on hand.
View Quote
Man you called it on their shipping.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top