Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2015 9:02:13 PM EDT

Any reasons for me not to get a Ruger 10/22?  Thank!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
None that I can think of.  Great rifles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
No ammo. F*ck the neckbeards.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Buy two and build this!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Bass Pro around here gets ammo in about once a week and sells it for a decent price.  They limit how much you can buy so that more people have the opportunity to get some.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Not particularly accurate unless you upgrade the barrel; stock trigger needs work to be light and crisp; stock is rather thick at the comb; mag release is awkward.  Despite the negatves there are many positives.  I've had one since 1982, but I do have other .22 rifles as there is no one, perfect .22 rifle.  Overall valuewise, the 10/22 is just fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Only even remotely acceptable reason to not buy a 10/22 is that you already have a few.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy one.  And despite what some might tell you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current manufacture.  They can be found for about $200 and are fun as hell.  

I have one (base model.  Wood and blued barrel).  I really want to pick up a handful more.   In fact, I am debating trading off my 870 for a takedown model, if I can find one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#8]
It will eat up the .22LR ammo fort...

Too much fun to stop...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not particularly accurate unless you upgrade the barrel; stock trigger needs work to be light and crisp; stock is rather thick at the comb; mag release is awkward.  Despite the negatves there are many positives.  I've had one since 1982, but I do have other .22 rifles as there is no one, perfect .22 rifle.  Overall valuewise, the 10/22 is just fine.
View Quote

The aftermarket barrels can be better but the ones with extra tight chambers can be fussy and not real tolerant of dirt. I have found the stock Ruger barrels to be ok but as posted don't expect much from the stock triggers.

Easy to work with and a bunch of outfits make all sorts of aftermarket stuff for them.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, a good reason not to get one?

You can get a 10/22 takedown instead!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW ,Ruger makes a factory drop-in trigger.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
They are great to throw money at to get them to perform as well as they should have in the first place....But hey, it's your money so have fun.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
There are almost as many accessories for a 10/22 as there are for a Chevy
sold all mine but I think I'm gonna get the new Tacsol/Houge takedown
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Factory triggers with a pull weight at 6-10 pounds and gritty. You have to buy a good trigger for it, probably add a good stock, and probably a good barrel. By the time you make it a tackdriver you've spent a lot of money. Fun rifle with plenty of upgrades, plentiful magazines, handy to pack around.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]

I guess I got lucky with mine.  I can shoot out a half dollar all day long at 40 yards.  My AR-15 22 upper is still considerably more fun, but if I could find them easily right now, I would have another 5 10/22s just because.

None of mine have ever been what I would consider inaccurate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Only legit reason at this time imo, but I still think you should by one.

Everyone should have at least 1 imo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Get one all ready, they are addicting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You...you mean you....you don't have one yet?  I thought that was a requirement.

I think it goes like this:

10/22
.22 pistol
basic shotgun
centerfire handgun
AR-15
something silly like a TEC-9
full on addiction
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because you already have three or four
Because you're a liberal
Because your a communist
Because you lost your man card
Because you lost your woman card
Because you hate real Americans

Is that enough?  

10/22 is a fine weapon. Easy to tinker and modify with. Shoots well out of the box. Doesn't require a lot of maintenance.  Been around for 50+ years and is a well proven design.

Now if you were to ask for a reason not to get a take down 10/22 I'd have to double my list.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can think of a few reasons why. 1. You are a communist, 2. You voted for Obama, 3. You hate freedom.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Got one on order.  Should get here Monday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can think of a few reasons why. 1. You are a communist, 2. You voted for Obama, 3. You hate freedom.

Nice!

Which model did you go with?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#23]
...because you can build a much better one than you can buy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, get ready to toss everything but the receiver and replace with aftermarket stuff............

And then when you are all done, you'll wonder why you didn't just start off with an aftermarket receiver in the first place.........

So you put all your goodies on a brand new aftermarket receiver, and put all your stock stuff back on the factory one, then sell the gun you ordered in the first place to someone else to repeat the cycle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's half the fun of it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buy one.  And despite what some might tell you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current manufacture.  They can be found for about $200 and are fun as hell.  

I have one (base model.  Wood and blued barrel).  I really want to pick up a handful more.   In fact, I am debating trading off my 870 for a takedown model, if I can find one.
View Quote

$200?
I paid $231 from buds last month. Local was pushing $260 + tax
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

$200?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$200?

Palmetto State Armory has two models in stock right now for $199 and last time they had the plain black one in stock it was $179.  In fact, if those come back at that price I'm picking up at least one more.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag...I don't have a .22lr rifle

I'm torn between buying one of the Ruger 50th Anniversary models (with the adjustable stock, peep sight/rail built into it, etc)...

Or, buying an NDS receiver (anyone around the twin cities stock one? ) and piecing it together that way...can't be THAT hard to build one, no?

I really like the Ruger's bang-for-buck out of the gate, but if there's a chance I'm going to wind up replacing parts anyway...I'm not strictly looking for a complete tack driver though it would be nice to cover the group with a dime at 50 yards if I do my part off a rest...or at least a quarter
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Why would anyone buy a 10/22 when a savage mk II gets you the accutrigger and better accuracy right out of the box?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why would anyone buy a 10/22 when a savage mk II gets you the accutrigger and better accuracy right out of the box?
View Quote
hmmm maybe they want a larger capacity magazine or semi auto over bolt . . .

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

High cap mags, semi auto, customization.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Oops my bad, thought I was in the precision forum.  Wrong place.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Likely story

I wound up buying that 50th anniversary Ruger And quickly found out that one of the issues bought up on rimfire central, the sights being canted, had effected mine

Now to read up on how to straighten it out...I wish it was warmer out, so I didn't have to straighten it out and wait a few weeks to actually see if I straightened it enough or what
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I paid 199 for my 50th anniversary 16" beach stock

With ffl 240$ for a sweet little gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Likely story

I wound up buying that 50th anniversary Ruger And quickly found out that one of the issues bought up on rimfire central, the sights being canted, had effected mine

Now to read up on how to straighten it out...I wish it was warmer out, so I didn't have to straighten it out and wait a few weeks to actually see if I straightened it enough or what
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likely story

The sights are not canted, the barrel is canted in the receiver. Loosen the two V block screws under the barrel, turn the rifle upside down and rest it on the ears of the front and rear sight. This should straighten the barrel. Then tighten the two screws again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The sights are not canted, the barrel is canted in the receiver. Loosen the two V block screws under the barrel, turn the rifle upside down and rest it on the ears of the front and rear sight. This should straighten the barrel. Then tighten the two screws again.
View Quote

Sorry, I mistyped; yes, I know that's the issue...

The barrel is in the reciever really, really tightly though. This is my first 10/22 so I don't know how tight it should be in...if that's normal or not. I loosened up the v-block but wasn't really equipped to force the barrel out where I was...I'll give it another shot tonight. I've been reading up on it and saw I may need to pop it out with a block of wood and a soft mallet or something...we'll see.

I just really wish I could get out to the range and try it. It's not that the range won't be empty...it's that at ~0f, even if I could get a good cheek weld, I'd be shaking too much after a while to reliably print a group
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The barrel is in the receiver really, really tightly though. This is my first 10/22 so I don't know how tight it should be in...if that's normal or not. I loosened up the v-block but wasn't really equipped to force the barrel out where I was...I'll give it another shot tonight. I've been reading up on it and saw I may need to pop it out with a block of wood and a soft mallet or something...we'll see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel is in the receiver really, really tightly though. This is my first 10/22 so I don't know how tight it should be in...if that's normal or not. I loosened up the v-block but wasn't really equipped to force the barrel out where I was...I'll give it another shot tonight. I've been reading up on it and saw I may need to pop it out with a block of wood and a soft mallet or something...we'll see.

Sometimes, just letting the bolt slam forward is sufficient to break the barrel loose.

Be careful with the leading edge on the barrel - they can be really sharp.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, stock it is a pretty average gun. You'll end up spending a lot of money on upgrades.

Don't ever Google kidd and 10/22 in the same search.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, stock it is a pretty average gun. You'll end up spending a lot of money on upgrades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. .22LR ammo is overpriced
2. .22's are fucking boring
3. .177 break barrel is cheaper to shoot and levels rabbits and squirrels just fine with no annoying crack report sound
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sometimes, just letting the bolt slam forward is sufficient to break the barrel loose.

Be careful with the leading edge on the barrel - they can be really sharp.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/ruger_10-22_barrel_removal_zps5b2cf586.jpg

View Quote

Yep, got it out...needed some coaxing. Recentered and with a plastic mallet with the sights down on a flat table, seated the receiver on the barrel (tapping the barrel seemed like it'd just knock it out of center again so I tapped the rear of the receiver instead, while holding both down flat).

Not warm enough to really try at a range but in the basement with a couple CB Caps into a bigish phone book, it seemed to go where it was pointed at
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

3. .177 break barrel is cheaper to shoot and levels rabbits and squirrels just fine with no annoying crack report sound
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spend an hour at the range with a break barrel air rifle doing groups...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Break barrel .177 airguns are very frustrating to shoot
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not warm enough to really try at a range but in the basement with a couple CB Caps into a bigish phone book, it seemed to go where it was pointed at
View Quote

Ha!    

Glad to hear you got it straightened out.  Time to start with the mods now, while you wait on it to warm up outside.  You can do the auto-bolt-release yourself in a few minutes with a file or Dremel.  Just make it look like the one in the pic:

Get a bolt buffer, maybe a Volquartsen hammer or a charging handle from Rimfire Technologies.  There's a gazillion different ways to personalize these, as you know, and that's half the fun of 'em.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Fun guns, when it comes to the aftermarket it is the 1911 of the rimfire world.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ruger Amercian Rimefire is giving that Savage a run for its money imo.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it takes 10/22 mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And it takes 10/22 mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it takes 10/22 mags.

I am thinking about throwing a micro red dot on my 10/22 and getting the RAR for "accuracy". I had a factory HBAR 10/22 that was reaaallly accurate but I sold it because the Troy chassis I had scratched the living hell out of it and I am OCD. I also wanted a lighter gun anyways so I got a standard threaded model. The accuracy isn't as good but it is reliable and still fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I just picked up this one the other day. It is my 4th 10/22 rifle. The first two got sold when we were buying houses and needed the cash. The third one went to my daughter.....I am going to hold onto this one!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top