Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 11:07:47 PM EDT
I've got a 10/22 and a henry, now I'm interested in a single shot 22. I would like it to be tube fed or a single shot (load from breech)  so I could shoot shorts. I saw the Savage MKI  but there is nothing out there about them. Any experience with the MK I? Any other rifles I should look at?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
look at a Ruger American rimfire

.22LR bolt gun that takes the same mags as the 10-22

plus the owners manual says that with the mag out you can shoot .22 shorts out of it as a single shot
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

plus the owners manual says that with the mag out you can shoot .22 shorts out of it as a single shot
View Quote

I'd rather not have a box mag. Its slow to have to drop and load the mag for every shot if shooting shorts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Marlin makes a tube fed bolt gun that will shoot short, long ,and long rifle

the stock is pretty meh though

also look around for an older Remington or Winchester tube fed bolt gun. Winchester built the Model 72 and 72A from the late 30s through the late 50s

Remington built a few different models from the Model 34 of the 30s through the 581 of the 60s until the early 80s

as to the single shot Savage MkI, it is nothing but a single shot version of the Mark II which is a very good .22 rifle. A MkI with an accu-trigger would be good to go as well

as to shooting the American Rimfire with shorts, all you do is drop the mag, you load the short directly into the chamber, not into the magazine at all

gunbroker has Mark I's listed for right around $225ish
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought a Remlin Marlin XT-22 (tube fed) a while back. Havent shot it much but will feed short, long, and long rifle.

The quality on the marlins is still a bit rough, but, it works so far. No complaints on mine yet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]
As already said the Marlin XT-22TSR is a tube feed bolt action that will run shorts.

Ruger American Rimfire using a Volquartsen 10-22 short magazine.

Henry Acu Bolt is a Single shot bolt action.

The Savage MKI has all the same parts and pieces as the MKII except for the magazine and related parts. I have owned 2 and they were good shooting decent quality rifles I sold them to buy repeaters. For a single shot the Savage MKI is going to be hard to beat around its price range.

Older Marlins and Glenfields such as the Model 20 feed shorts out of the 7rd box magazine, there is a short guide built into the rifle. Also many tubefeed rifles out there like Marlin 81's and Remingtons and Mossbergs that work with shorts.

On the cheaper end of things you could look at Rossi Matched pair, for around $150 you get a .22 and a .410 single shot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
MkI is a single-shot MkII.  Any info about a MkII should carry over, minus the magazine-specific stuff.  I have a left hand MkII and like it a lot, nice rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd rather not have a box mag. Its slow to have to drop and load the mag for every shot if shooting shorts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't drop the mag.  Leave it in place or remove it and drop the round directly into the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a CZ and a SLED that you can swap out with a 5, 10 and 25 rounder.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I think marlin got it together now, i just picked uo a bolt action just recently made and the fit and finish is great.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]
American rifle
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Many good choices out there. I have two Marlin 39's, a standard and a carbine. They shoot whatever I put in them.
The 39A is a 1962 model and the carbine is a 1955 vintage. Both like new...look around and you can run across them
from time to time. Ageless firearms. Accurate, good triggers, much better than the new models they make now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

CZ has a fine selection of bolt action .22, .22mag, and .17 hmr rifles.  Outstanding quality for the price.  Only goofy thing is their grooved receiver  cut.  They used to run 2 top cuts, a standard euro 11mm and their version of the american 3/8 which had a nonstandard angle.  Some rings fit well and others did not fit well.  A minor niggling detail which is easy to fix with CZ brand rings, an adapter base to weaver, or several brands of rings which fit well.  Go over to rimfire central website to their CZ section.  A bounty of info.

the trainer and the scout (youth model) are your least expensive ones.  The American is a nicer classic style set up along the lines of the Ruger 77/22 w/o sights.  

They mostly replaced the 452 and 453 models with the 455 which all now have the same top cut.  The older models had some with the 3/8 (American and Varmint) and the others often had the euro one.  Made for confusion.

I strongly suggest the CZ if you're looking for an heirloom quality .22,  A basic trainer, American or the really sweet FS fullstock (mannlicher stocked) version.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Hit the used gun racks and pick your poison. Lots of older tube-feds that were designed to take shorts as well as lr from all the major manufactures of the era. They usually have much better triggers than modern rifles....Even with the "accu-triggers".
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a single shot adapter for the Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's cool if you like bass akward safety's
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm getting a Ruger American Rimfire Compact and a Voltquartsen .22 short magazine. It just makes too much sense when I've already got a10/22 and a pile of mags.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Just to be a bit different, a Remington 121 pump is a hell of a nice, fun, and built like a tank rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Remington 511 that is box mag fed. I believe the 512 is tube fed. But i love my 511, most accurate gun i own
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:31:23 AM EDT
[#19]
There are lots of older rimfires in the gun store racks , many are dirty but most were built better than most of the stuff you see today . Real walnut and all that.
The CZs are nice but they are a bit more costly than the other stuff like marlin and savage.

Not sure of the models but if you go with the Savage spend a bit more and get one of the models with the accu-trigger.

If you are hitting the used gun racks pay attention to the issue of mounting a optic. Few older rimfires are drilled for rails , some have groves for a rimfire mount which will work but many older guns have no way at all to mount optics and having a gunsmith drill and tap can get expensive.

Some of the clip feed bolt guns will work with shorts but many of the magazines are fussy with anything but long rifle . You wouldn't think it would be such a project to find a reasonably priced full sized rimfire with optics mount , decent trigger and the ability to shoot something other than long rifle but it can be a search.

I spent a bit more and got an older Marlin 39A lever gun. sweet gun that works real well , full sized , real wood , great trigger and super accurate
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a Savage Mk II TR, nice rifle and very accurate with a great trigger. I shoot it much more than I expected I would.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Find yourself an older Rossi 62 pump, a Winchester clone. Shoots S, L, and LR
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Some of the older Remingtons and Winchesters have already been suggested.  But don't forget about the older Mossbergs and Springfield/Stevens rifles.  These older bolt action rifles can often be purchased for around $100, sometimes less if you look.  Many of mine are still some of the most accurate .22 rimfire rifles that I own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top