Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 7:32:18 PM EDT
Looking for a youth single shot , it sounds like the rascal is a nice little rifle.  I like the stainless barrel on the Henry but don't know much more about it, how's the trigger, how to they compare.  Just wanted to see if anyone has had any trigger time to do a little comparison.  Size wise they are pretty much the same but it lists the henry at about a 1/2 pound heavier.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of the Henry, Savage and Cricket, the Savage has the shortest length of pull (but I think longest overall...) and I believe it was the lightest.
I'm in the market for a single shot .22 for my 3 1/2 yr old and I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Savage from what I've read on here.  Also, people have had good things to say about the Savage "Accutrigger" so I think the Savage may be the best rifle.

Here is a spreadsheet with some of the data, I found it helpful to compare.  there have beena  few threads on here about the youth .22's with some good insight form owners of all of them.  Search only goes back 30 days, but a web search should turn them up
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Rascal all the way.  My grandson has had his since he was five.  It's been great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea about the Henry, but the Rascal is a great rifle.

Comes in 8 different colors and accutrigger for $150 is a deal.

I added EGW base for RDS and plan on threading it for suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched a bunch of videos today, and it appears on the henry after cocking the bolt you still have to pull back on a lever to cock the hammer spring, which I believe is also how the cricket is.  The rascal avoids all of that, I guess I'm leaning towards the rascal, I did like the stainless barrel on the henry, but it's not that important.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
No hammer on the Cricket or Henry, its a cocking piece or striker.

Yes on the Henry and Cricket you have to work the bolt and then manually cock the rifle. Also on the Cricket it does not have a feed ramp, so you have to start the bullet into the chamber by hand, and if you drop it or it slips it falls into the bottom of the bolt raceway and you have to dump it out and start again. It is a pain for an adult with large fingers, or anybody with shorts. The Rascal has a feed ramp, you just point the cartridge in the right direction and drop/set it on the ramp and it will center it and guide it into the chamber easily.

After having the Cricket for years, and then using the Savage, I would recommend the Savage every time. The Savage is also made from quality steel while the Cricket has cheap pot metal/Zamak for its bolt and cocking piece.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the Savage Rascal. Taught both of my kids to shoot with ours.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my daughter a rascal.
Came in last week. Function checked it at the range on saturday and it will get threaded for a suppressor but then it'll get put away until she's older
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the rascal for my son last year. He loves it. It shoots great. He had fun painting it too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the rascal for my son last year. He loves it. It shoots great. He had fun painting it too.
<a href="http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/pirrosnet/media/Mobile%20Uploads/422A209B-0ED1-428E-BF51-ECBF3796719A_zpsm4szzu6u.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/pirrosnet/Mobile%20Uploads/422A209B-0ED1-428E-BF51-ECBF3796719A_zpsm4szzu6u.jpg</a>
View Quote

How did you thread that barrel?  I'm not sure our Rascal has enough barrel after the sight to thread?  Did you put on some type of extension?

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My gunsmith said there was just enough barrel to thread it. I made sure to shot it at the shop with his can on it, just incase it wasn't perfect. No baffle strikes then or ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top