Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 6:42:27 PM EDT
Like the idea of a little shorter oal as well as anybody being able to shoot it. Anyone full size people shooting the compact and liking it? I'm 6'1" so the normal stuff fits just fine.

What say you
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken the stock is the same, it's the nodules that are different.
The compact comes with two if you want longer, order the one you want.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken the stock is the same, it's the nodules that are different.
The compact comes with two if you want longer, order the one you want.
View Quote

They both come with two. One low and one high.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious to see the outcome. I know the standard would work just fine for me, but wondering if the compact would also be comfortable so the kids could shoot it.

The reality is both threaded barrel versions have the same 18" barrel, and you can buy the stock module for $15-$25...so maybe I just buy the one I find the best deal on and then add the other stock module just to see how I like it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
20 bucks is 20 bucks I would rather not spend it if I dont have to. I am going to go try and hold both tomorrow and see how they feel. I have shot short guns before and it was fine. Had more trouble prone than offhand as it seemed to be harder to move fore and aft.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
20 bucks is 20 bucks I would rather not spend it if I dont have to. I am going to go try and hold both tomorrow and see how they feel. I have shot short guns before and it was fine. Had more trouble prone than offhand as it seemed to be harder to move fore and aft.
View Quote

My 22 mag compact arrived today. I think it's short. BUT... another shooter 6'8" shouldered it and said it was spot on for point of aim with the irons
. That's with the regular rear stock section. SINCE IT DIDN'T COME WITH A SCOPE MOUNT  i'll wait till monday to buy one (weaver # 12) mount the 3 x 9 burris and see how it feels. The cheek weld section seem to be a good match for optics.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Was it supposed to come with one? If yes just call ruger......there customer service is fantastic and will send you one
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There are Long and Short length-of-pull modules.  One is Low height for shooting with irons, and one is High height for using a scope.  The Standard rifle comes with two Long modules, one High, and one Low.  The Compact rifle comes with two Short modules, one High, and one Low.  Any of the modules can be fitted to either rifle.  It's easy to buy the desired modules from Ruger, and fit them to a rifle.  For example, fitting a short module to a standard rifle so a kid could use it.  Just keep the included Long modules so they can grow into them.

To keep the price as low as possible, Ruger does NOT include the Weaver scope mounting bases with either rifle.  They are not hard to get, and not at all expensive.  The top of the receiver is drilled and tapped for these bases, but the holes are filled with screws which can be easily removed.

The full size rifle will have a longer iron sight radius, and perhaps a bit higher bullet velocity than the compact model.
It will also have a slightly different point of balance, but adding some weight to the inside of the hollow buttstock allows the user to customize this.  The compact model might be handier to carry in the brush, and easier for kids and very small adults to manipulate.

The newer versions of both rifles can be had with threaded barrels, and come with thread protectors.  For folks planning to install sound suppressors, the obvious choice would be the Compact model.  It might also be possible to install a flash suppressor on the threaded barrel of either rifle, but it's doubtful if either rifle really needs such.
View Quote

Question....

How does one buy the 'long' module?  I just bought the compact for my grandkids and, given your post, wish to retro fit it for the 2 of my 3 sons who've never shot a firearm.  

Your post has 'awakened' me to additional possibilities.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]

You can find the part numbers on that page, and then find the modules all over the place, even Amazon and eBay. Just search for "Ruger 90431" (or 90432/90433/90434).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top