Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2014 2:44:12 PM EDT
I ordered one of the new ones. Anyone have one and what to expect?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1992 wood stocked model. It's far and away more accurate than my 10/22 TD and much tougher than a Henry Survival.

All I've really heard about the plastic stocked ones is there is on-board storage and of course it's lighter.

To be honest I thought the new models were vaporware. Advertised but seldom (if ever) in stock the last couple years. Where did you get yours from? I'd be up for another to thread for a can.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few of the newer 70pss, a 70ps, and a 70p, they are all very similar, but I like the 70p the best.

The new ones come with a crappy orange plastic front sight, while adequate for a 25yrd range, I find it lacking at longer distance. I like to replace them with a brass bead front sight. The rear sight on the newer ones folds down to be more compact/scope clearance. I find that folding it sometimes the rear sight elevator jumps a rung as it slides when the rear sight is folding. Then the rear sight on the older ones are about the equivalent to a cheap bb gun, I replace both new and old with a Marbles Bullseye rear, it works out much better for me and my kids.

The newer ones have a plastic stock and trigger guard, they also have a LRBHO and only take the newer style magazines with a slotted side unless you grind down a tab in the magwell so the older style will slide in.
 Also Numrich has brand new barrels for $33 if you want an extra to thread. They also have a better recoil buffer than the factory Marlin.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
LGS ordered it for me. I think quite a few more are out there now. Gun genie had 89 in stock.

Edit: I  was on my cell and couldn't see the letters.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got two of the older style; one of which I recently upgraded to the synthetic stock and a DIP trigger guard*.  That one has also had the barrel threaded, the trigger and bolt polished, etc.  There are a couple of other mods I'm still working on too.  I carried it in my backpack quite a bit when I was younger.  Off a rest it's probably as accurate as my upgraded 10/22 Target and far lighter and more compact.  Like all .22s, they do need to be cleaned every few hundred rounds; the synthetic stock should make this easier since you can just flush it out now without worrying about the wood (I'm lazy and usually just spray it out with carb cleaner then a blast of compressed air then run a couple of patches through the barrel).  

Several points- buy extra springs, e-clips, the rear plastic pin and buffers.  Midway, Brownell's, etc sell them.  The trigger pull will never be great, but it can be improved by installing a DIP trigger and polishing all surfaces that rub; some folks talk about modifying the springs but I would not do that if you want it to remain reliable.  I also polished the bolt on mine so that it doesn't get dirty as quickly.  I replaced the charging handle with DIP handles.  When reassembling the gun, be very careful reinstalling the bolt as the recoil spring is easy to bend/kink.  Inspect and replace the plastic buffer as needed.  I wish someone would come up with a Delrin buffer for them as the factory models eventually get hard and crack/break.  In all fairness, I've picked up used Marlins that ran fine despite the buffers being broken into pieces.    

They make great guns for the car, boat, pack, etc.  Be sure to pick up extra magazines as availability can be spotty at times.  

*Disclaimer- I have no financial interest in DIP, it's just that they're about the only manufacturer of aftermarket parts for these guns.  Diversified Innovative Products
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input and info. I think mine will be here today....Tues now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got two of the older style; one of which I recently upgraded to the synthetic stock and a DIP trigger guard*.  That one has also had the barrel threaded, the trigger and bolt polished, etc.  There are a couple of other mods I'm still working on too.  I carried it in my backpack quite a bit when I was younger.  Off a rest it's probably as accurate as my upgraded 10/22 Target and far lighter and more compact.  Like all .22s, they do need to be cleaned every few hundred rounds; the synthetic stock should make this easier since you can just flush it out now without worrying about the wood (I'm lazy and usually just spray it out with carb cleaner then a blast of compressed air then run a couple of patches through the barrel).  

Several points- buy extra springs, e-clips, the rear plastic pin and buffers.  Midway, Brownell's, etc sell them.  The trigger pull will never be great, but it can be improved by installing a DIP trigger and polishing all surfaces that rub; some folks talk about modifying the springs but I would not do that if you want it to remain reliable.  I also polished the bolt on mine so that it doesn't get dirty as quickly.  I replaced the charging handle with DIP handles.  When reassembling the gun, be very careful reinstalling the bolt as the recoil spring is easy to bend/kink.  Inspect and replace the plastic buffer as needed.  I wish someone would come up with a Delrin buffer for them as the factory models eventually get hard and crack/break.  In all fairness, I've picked up used Marlins that ran fine despite the buffers being broken into pieces.    

They make great guns for the car, boat, pack, etc.  Be sure to pick up extra magazines as availability can be spotty at times.  

*Disclaimer- I have no financial interest in DIP, it's just that they're about the only manufacturer of aftermarket parts for these guns.  Diversified Innovative Products
View Quote

That's about 1/2 of what i paid for mine.  Nice to know some options are out there.  I can cut a delrin or other plastic style material buffer, the parts so want to travel when dis or reassembling them.

Threw a FF 2 on. Forgot to put the RD protector / wing on beforehand.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked it up today. Pretty solid. The front sight hood is a little flimsy and the rear sight isn't drifted in all the way. That's all I could pick out before I left the store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top