Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2014 4:52:32 PM EDT
I read every thread I could find regarding scope fit and the ruger takedown bag. Few good options for those who want to leave it permanently attached.

Any suggestions for a slightly bigger bag with better protection?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use Leupold QR rings on mine. The scope fits in one of the pockets.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
From a marketing standpoint the Ruger takedown is a great move and the bag is a wonderful thing but I agree that it is a tight fit.

I have a compact Simions that works just fine so I can live with it.

A friend went with a Leupold and their QD rings , its nice but he has almost 3X the cost of the gun tied up in the scope and mount.

His scope is way better than mine but he has the crappy factory trigger and I used a Jard drop in unit so I can usually outshoot him
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a DNZ low mount with a Leupold 2-7x28.  It is a close fit but it works in the factory bag.
For an alternate bag the Boyt takedown bag looks good.  http://www.shopboytharness.com/product/signature-series-takedown-canvas-case-pocket/
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The bag will work with an average sized scope. The flap won't close so you just tuck is back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Apparently there is a special edition (50th year?) that comes with a special bag that is supposed to be bigger. Gun has a better walnut stock set and of course you pay more for the rig
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apparently there is a special edition (50th year?) that comes with a special bag that is supposed to be bigger. Gun has a better walnut stock set and of course you pay more for the rig
View Quote

The Classic VI? I really want one but I don't think they're for sale yet.

The case is available here: http://www.shopboytharness.com/product/signature-series-takedown-canvas-case-pocket/
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a UTG Bug Buster 3-9x scope on mine and it fits in the bag. It's a little snug, but it works fine.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a UTG Bug Buster 3-9x scope on mine and it fits in the bag. It's a little snug, but it works fine.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41u4YlAPraL._AA160_.jpg
View Quote

Same here using ultra low LaRue rings.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a set of Warn steel QD rings and everything fits with ample room left. Scope pops right back on and retains zero so I am a happy camper because I probably use a bigger scope on a .22 than most. I like to see my holes on a hundred yard target without switching to my spotting scope.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a DNZ low mount with a Leupold 2-7x28.  It is a close fit but it works in the factory bag.
For an alternate bag the Boyt takedown bag looks good.  http://www.shopboytharness.com/product/signature-series-takedown-canvas-case-pocket/
View Quote

Bingo. I have the same set up with a Kidd trigger.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
not to hijack the thread
i have one, i just usually used it for blasting away without breaking the bank (college payments suck ) but with the correct ammo what accuracy can i expect out of the takedown?
i guess i (wrongly) assumed the accuracy wouldn't be much due to the "takedown" aspect
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
not to hijack the thread
i have one, i just usually used it for blasting away without breaking the bank (college payments suck ) but with the correct ammo what accuracy can i expect out of the takedown?
i guess i (wrongly) assumed the accuracy wouldn't be much due to the "takedown" aspect
View Quote

I've heard the opposite, that the takedowns were more accurate than the regular 10/22s.

ETA: with match grade ammo and a scope, you coul probably expect around 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41u4YlAPraL._AA160_.jpg

Checked out the rings.  They seem very nice, but $200.  Yowzers!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard the opposite, that the takedowns were more accurate than the regular 10/22s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not to hijack the thread

Thanks!
im going to have to try it out now
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The bag will work with an average sized scope. The flap won't close so you just tuck is back.
View Quote

This. I have to wonder how many people have seen the flap would not close and assumed that was the deal breaker.

Mine was a 2-7 VX II Leupold and the flap is NOT EVEN CLOSE to closing. Tuck the flap out of the way and it zips up just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top