Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2014 1:25:06 PM EDT
I am looking for a new 22lr plinker and it will also see some time varmint hunting.

I am looking to buy from Buds and I am between the HK Walther produced MP5 SD and a Ruger 22/45 lite.

MP5 is $420 and they have a fixed stock I would get as well for $35.
22/45 is $395

What says the hive?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84866

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84719

I hope the links work, I have never posted links...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned a Ruger 22/45 (Mk-II) since 2004.  Put a few thousand round thru it, at least.  I like pretty much everything about it, aside from the funky way you gotta put it back together, but after doing it a few times, it's pretty easy.  Never had any sort of mechanical failure, but as with any .22 I've owned, cheap ammo is usually the cause of any FTF.  I have the 5.5" bull barrel version.

No experience with the other pistol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Define "Varmint Hunt" - small things not past 50 yards, either will do the job if you have the skills.

You want to hit (and humanely kill) bigger things out to 100 yards - get the rifle.

For general fun - both will do.

I think everyone needs a decent 22 handgun, and the Ruget MK series are great guns - I have several  MK-II's

If you really want to varmint hunt with a 22 pistol - look for one of these on the used market...

Take care,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the opinions!

And for varmint hunting that this would be used for is some Texas Hill Country varmint hunting of jack rabbits running through fields and brush, and raccoons scurrying away to trees kinda thing. All less than 50yd shots and I will most likely still have my AR with me anyway incase any large animals or distance shots come into play.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top