Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 7:04:59 PM EDT
Tell me about it, is it worth getting a few bricks?  I'll be shooting it out of a 10/22.  What is the max effective range?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
22 super colibri  is not recommended for rifle shooting because of the chance of a projectile stopping in the barrel. It will in no way cycle a semi auto pistol or rifle
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
22 super colibri  is not recommended for rifle shooting because of the chance of a projectile stopping in the barrel. It will in no way cycle a semi auto pistol or rifle
View Quote

That being said, I regularly shoot it out of my Remington 511x. Puts a real hurting on
those damned starlings.  Not a squib yet, but I DO clean after every box of 50 as its very
dirty. Keep the bore clean, and you shouldn't have a problem
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I absolutely love shooting Super Colibri out of our two Henry lever actions.
It is a great fun round in my opinion . Great for backyard varmints. I've wacked groundhogs, squirrels, and chipmunks.
Sometimes we'll just sit on the deck and shoot eggs or old veggies like tomatoes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot a bunch of it out of my Mossberg 702.  Cheap rifle, so if it squibs, no big deal.  Nice and quiet, sounds like a pellet rifle.  About similar range, too.  

If you can get it cheap, grab it.  Won't cycle a semi auto, but, no big deal.  I've shot it out of my Ruger 22/45, too, still quiet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have found that the Super Colibri feed the best out of a single stack 10rd magazine for the 10-22, something like the Eagle USA, or Butler Creek mags. Even using them, I only load about 5rds at a time get much more than that and they dont feed well. Using the factory rotary magazine, sometimes 1 round wont even feed.

I have shot many bricks of both the Colibri and the Super, only had about 4rds ever stay in a rifle barrel, and never one in a 10-22 factory barrel. A couple in a 20" savage, and a Henry lever action, they easily pushed out with a cleaning rod and no damage done. I would say effective range is about 30yds with the Super Colibri, after that they are dropping fast, and not accurate enough in most guns to reliably hit a popcan sized target. I have killed many large Jackrabbits with head/neck shots at 30yds and closer, usually DRT, Shot placement is key.

Another round that is hearing safe out of a rifle is CCI Cuiet, they have a lot more energy for hunting but will still not cycle a semi auto. The downside is that they are loud enough that the neighbors might hear if that is a concern.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My understanding is that the standard Colibri is not recommended for rifles, but the Super Colibri is generally okay.  That being said, I haven't ever tried Colibri, but I've run a few boxes of Super Colibri through some of my rifles.  

The CZ 452 sees the most of them.  As noted, I can't get them to feed if I load more than 3 or 4 in the magazine.  They sound as quiet as suppressed subsonic ammo through that gun, but they don't hit as hard.  

They do great for chipmunk sized animals, but you really need to consider your shots for anything bigger.  I hit a squirrel right behind the shoulder from around 10 yards one time.  It spun around 3 times and then shot straight up a tree.  While it did fall down dead 60 seconds later, there was a pretty good chance of it running off and me not being able to recover it.  I would really hesitate using this round on something the size of a house cat.

Also, be aware these rounds with no gun powder will leave a residue on the bore of your barrel.  After around 10 rounds, this will cause your groups to open noticeably.  This residue apparently doesn't form when shooting rounds with gunpowder.

Additionally, be aware of your backstop.  I was shooting these in my basement one time at some 1/2" plywood.  The little 20 grain bullets were actually bouncing back off the board.  Not much power behind these things.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, I have a brick of super colibri coming this week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You know they will not cycle the action of a 10/22 don't you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top