Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 10:18:45 AM EDT
I've been tossing around the idea of getting either a Savage 93 or Ruger American in either 22 mag or 17 hmr.  I like that Ruger has a model with a threaded barrel and also includes irons.  Savage has been around longer and has the accutrigger, but the Ruger trigger is nice.  You can find the Savage with a bull barrel.  Both are about the same price.  The Ruger probably has the better magazine system.  You can buy Boyds stocks for both.  

I know the 22mag vs 17 has been addressed over and over.  I feel like either with quality ammo is accurate and hits hard but that the effective range of the 17 is a little longer.  I've seen hogs taken down with both (for some reason in certain management areas, the state requires us to use rimfire).  I'm leaning towards the 17, but mostly because I've never had one and I feel like it's a laser of a round.  

Also considered a Savage B-Mag in the newer 22WSM, but I've read bad reviews on the accuracy of the guns and rounds and ammo is rare as hen's teeth.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The .17" HMR has an excellent reputation for accuracy.  My brother is very happy w/ his Savage for several years.  It tears squirrels' heads off, apparently.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Savage 93 in 22wmr and like it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a few Savage rifles and I would recommend them to anyone.  I am sure the Ruger is a good rifle as well.

I don't have a .17, but I do have and like the .22 mag.

One thing that I can say is that there seems to be .17 on the shelves all the time when .22 mag is hard to find.

Availability in your area may help you make up your mind regarding caliber choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top