Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 6:28:31 PM EDT
I picked up a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 today for $20. It's got the squirrel stock. S/N dates it to 1979. The exterior steel is pretty rusty, probably just at the border of salvageable. I shined a bore light in it, and couldn't see any rust or pitting. The action works, but appears to have NEVER been cleaned. I think I will make it a refinishing project. Does anyone have any decent links for other refurbs of these? I did a site search, but came up with limited results. I see that Numrich would be a good source of parts.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one in great condition. I need to fix the extractor and the only sites I know of are: brownells.com, midwayusa.com, gunpartscorp.com
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Numrich

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago I worked with some redneck-wannabe transplant from upstate NY.
He had one of those and was talking about selling it to buy tickets for a NASCAR thing.

I told him to hit up my buddy who ran a pawn shop.

He comes into work the next week and says, "Your buddy at that pawnshop is an asshole"

"Why?"

"He offered me $40 for my Marlin. Said he buys them all day for $25 but he was giving me a deal because I knew you"

Knowing that's probably what they were worth at the time (circa 1995) I asked him how much he expected.

"I need $200 to go to the races. I paid $150 fo this 18 years ago and its got an engraved stock"

"They sell new down here for $110"

"Not with the engraving. You should buy it from me...no paperwork"

"Dude, I wouldn't give you more than what Ken offered you, it's not my thing"

"I shot a lot of deer with that rifle"

Me: "Um, Jim, it's a 22."

"I never said I killed them!"

I always think of that guy when I see or hear about one of those Enjoy the project, I need some winter project guns soon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago I worked with some redneck-wannabe transplant from upstate NY.
He had one of those and was talking about selling it to buy tickets for a NASCAR thing.

I told him to hit up my buddy who ran a pawn shop.

He comes into work the next week and says, "Your buddy at that pawnshop is an asshole"

"Why?"

"He offered me $40 for my Marlin. Said he buys them all day for $25 but he was giving me a deal because I knew you"

Knowing that's probably what they were worth at the time (circa 1995) I asked him how much he expected.

"I need $200 to go to the races. I paid $150 fo this 18 years ago and its got an engraved stock"

"They sell new down here for $110"

"Not with the engraving. You should buy it from me...no paperwork"

"Dude, I wouldn't give you more than what Ken offered you, it's not my thing"

"I shot a lot of deer with that rifle"

Me: "Um, Jim, it's a 22."

"I never said I killed them!"

I always think of that guy when I see or hear about one of those Enjoy the project, I need some winter project guns soon.
View Quote

Hilarious. I probably could have gotten this one for free, but I felt bad, and offered him what I thought the pawn shop would give him. He had a Hi-Point .380, too, and he took twenty bucks for that, too.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Try marlinowners.com/forum/ under rimfire section. They have a lot of refurbish projects on the 60's. Stocks, bluing, action, trigger, etc...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Ready.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Another good info source:  rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I am right there with you.  I bought one a couple months ago that someone Camo'ed up.  I plan to strip it CeraCote the Barrel and action then refinish the stock.  I need to get started on it.

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top