Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 8:39:28 AM EDT
Recently picked up a few 50 rnd boxes of this "quiet" ammo, rated at 750 fps. In two different rifles (10-22's) and three different magazines, would not eject the spent cartridge after firing.  Is there just not enough pressure to push the bolt back?   Does this stuff function in a 15-22?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe , like Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri, it is meant for bolt and lever action rifles as well as wheel guns.
Not enough pressure to reliably cycle a semi auto.

Never shot the CCI stuff but I can tell you the Aguila Super Colibri is an awesome backyard varmint killer out of my Henry Frontier.
Deadly accurate with open irons out 50'.
A lot of squirrels, chipmunks and ground hogs have met their maker with it in my back yard.

Colibri- 375 FPS
Super Colibri- 500 FPS

Both have 20 gr bullet.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Not enough juice to work the bolt.  Even in my 22 pistols, I have to rack the slide each shot.

I keep a few boxes around for my Savage 22/20ga.  Won't bother to use them in the semi's.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing you didn't read the side of the box that the Quiet ammo was packaged in? It says...

WARNING:These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however, manual cycling of the action may be required.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, didnt see the label.  Was just happy to find some 22.  I didnt even notice it was low velocity until i got home.  Figured it was regular cci. Oh well, thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It will push the bolt back on a 10/22 and a 15/22, but not far enough to cock the hammer.

The lack of mechanical noise from the bolt not moving is fine with me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
As your gun gets older, and the springs wear, they may weaken enough for the ammo to cycle.  But I don't buy subsonic, or quiet ammo, expecting it to cycle my semi-autos.  If it does, that is just a bonus.  As far as the 15-22, CCI Quiet woud cycle some of the time in mine.  Remington Subsonics would cycle it most of the time.  But the Remingtons are a also a bit louder, so I imagine they have a bit more ass behind them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't cycle any of my semis ut is damn quiet with or without a can, and actually first in my marlin's magazine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As your gun gets older, and the springs wear, they may weaken enough for the ammo to cycle.  But I don't buy subsonic, or quiet ammo, expecting it to cycle my semi-autos.
View Quote

Well, there's subsonic, and there's subsonic.  CCI SV, with about 100 fpe, has a decent chance.  Remington subsonic, with about 90 fpe, can be doable.  But CCI quiet, with 44 fpe, is a big stretch, and CCI CBs, with barely over 30 fpe, takes very extensive modifications.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I much prefer CB Long to CCI Quiet.
The CB Long require me to work the action like a straight pull rifle after each shot, but the Quiet just jammed each time and I had to mess around trying to flick the empty case out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
CCI Quiet will fully cycle my 15-22 maybe half the time, but my 10/22s it wont.  I bought it to plink with my lever/bolt/pump actions around the house and just tried it on the others for the hell of it.  I love that stuff but I havent seen it in stores in forever.  Next time I see some for a reasonable price I'm going to buy a lot of it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CCI Quiet will fully cycle my 15-22 maybe half the time, but my 10/22s it wont.  I bought it to plink with my lever/bolt/pump actions around the house and just tried it on the others for the hell of it.  I love that stuff but I havent seen it in stores in forever.  Next time I see some for a reasonable price I'm going to buy a lot of it.
View Quote

You might want to sign up for the "Notify Me" list at MidwayUSA. Over the last couple of weeks I was notified a couple of times and was able to score a couple of bricks for $29 each...shipping wasn't too bad if I remember correctly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/927185/cci-quiet-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-subsonic-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
RWS Subsonic will cycle the 1022 action. Not as quiet as the CCI quiet but at least it cycles.

I run my 1022 suppressed and was hoping the back pressure from the can would help blow back the bolt when shooting the CCI quiet. No luck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
CCI quiets will not cycle in my well used 10/22, but will in my M&P 15-22.  They won't in my buddy's M&P.  He isn't as diligent about clean weapons as I am though.

That said, they are not as quiet as CBs hand cycled, but they do group good at 20 yards, but about 1 1/4" lower impact than my zero.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a chance to try out the Quiets in my two complete KIDD 10/22s. I thought the one rifle which has  a subsonic recoil spring, 13K rounds through it and is the smoothest firearm Ive ever owned might have a chance of cycling them. No such luck. Both of the rifles would eject the spent shell fairly regularly but didn't have enough OOOMPH to push the bolt back far enough to strip a round out of the mag. The both also stovepiped a a good amount of the time...Id guess they either ejected or stovepiped 75% of the time with the other 25% requiring manual ejection.

They were definitely quiet! I was shooting at 50 yards and could hear the hammer smack forward and the round rip through the paper over the sound of the round firing. I could see the bullet lobbing in through my Weaver T36 very clearly which was cool. They dropped roughly 5.5" below where Eley subsonic ammo(1050fps) was hitting. Accuracy wasn't impressive but I wasnt expecting it to be. The Eley Match ammo averaged .380" at 50 for ten 5 shot groups while the Quiet was at 2.6".

It's fun ammo, I'm glad I have a couple bricks to mess around with...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Already gone by the time I got there.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#17]
This stuff will not cycle my 10/22 bolt.  I also did not read side of box befor purchase.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty sure the OP was just asking if it was normal for CCI Quiet to not cycle in a 10/22. He obviously bought it because it was all he could find but since the thread has already taken a turn I'll add some info.

If you use a Volquartsen .22 Short Kit the bolt will cycle subsonic ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top